Samsung Screws Up Yet Another Firmware Update (EX1)

Started Feb 4, 2012 | Discussions
snake_b Veteran Member • Posts: 4,680
Samsung Screws Up Yet Another Firmware Update (EX1)

From this thread:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1001&thread=40492834

Version 110181 for the EX1 released and appears to not be installable either by the conventional method of using the SD card, nor with the internal software in the camera.

Why, after all this time, is Samsung still unable to figure out how this process works? I've sent messages to them directly about this (and Loring was good about taking the details, while Jay Kelbey predictably ignored them).

So here's the lsit of FW problems people had before:

-little to no detail about changes/improvement/fixes/functionality enhancement/loss

To that, we now add firmware that can't be installed. Thankfully, we don't have bricked cameras yet as a result, but this nonsense is inexcusable.

Samsung TL500 (EX1)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
bartjeej Regular Member • Posts: 392
Re: Samsung Screws Up Yet Another Firmware Update (EX1)

apart from locking up very infrequently, I have no problems with my camera so I'm not even gonna try any FW updates as long as there's not a very clear benefit... to get me to update, Samsung would really need to inform me a lot better!

filibuster
filibuster Veteran Member • Posts: 4,245
Re: Samsung Screws Up Yet Another Firmware Update (EX1)

Quite deplorable that they do not check what they post. It would be more than ironic (should they get this thing to work by supplying the missing files) that the so called ‘upgrade’ is to stop recognition of un-chipped generic batteries. (Memories of Panasonic and their G1 come to mind!)
Now that would be the last straw.

-- hide signature --

Quote hhgttg: Life is wasted on the living.
filibuster (Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, UK)
http://picasaweb.google.com/scenic.filibuster

King YONG Forum Member • Posts: 65
Re: Samsung Screws Up Yet Another Firmware Update (EX1)

I tried:

1. Installing through Intelli-Studio, which said my camera is not supported!

2. Installing through memory card. The screen just showed my current FW number without option of upgrading.

3. Adding 3 missing files from previous FW into memory card to make it 5 but result same as 2.

4. Downloaded the FW from Samsung Korean support site - result same as 2.

I am throwing out my hands......a huge electronic company like Samsung can't get a little FW right is beyond me.
--
King YONG

 King YONG's gear list:King YONG's gear list
Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +16 more
filibuster
filibuster Veteran Member • Posts: 4,245
Re: Samsung Screws Up Yet Another Firmware Update (EX1)

Well, at least they new how to write a .txt file in notepad called FWUP
--
Quote hhgttg: Life is wasted on the living.
filibuster (Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, UK)
http://picasaweb.google.com/scenic.filibuster

(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 1,001
Re: Samsung Screws Up Yet Another Firmware Update (EX1)

apart from locking up very infrequently, I have no problems with my camera so I'm not even gonna try any FW updates as long as there's not a very clear benefit... to get me to update, Samsung would really need to inform me a lot better!

Exactly! Mine is working just fine - with several well known and much discussed limitations of course - so no thanks, I'm skipping this one just like the previous updates.

King YONG Forum Member • Posts: 65
Re: Samsung Screws Up Yet Another Firmware Update (EX1)

I have emailed the Samsung NZ support site about the defective FW....hope their reply will be useful
--
King YONG

 King YONG's gear list:King YONG's gear list
Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +16 more
OP snake_b Veteran Member • Posts: 4,680
Re: Samsung Screws Up Yet Another Firmware Update (EX1)

Hopefully they will do something about it and soon. It would be interesting to see waht kind of priority and response time they put on this.

King YONG wrote:

I have emailed the Samsung NZ support site about the defective FW....hope their reply will be useful
--
King YONG

King YONG Forum Member • Posts: 65
Re: Samsung Screws Up Yet Another Firmware Update (EX1)

The reply was quick but unhelpful.

"Thank you for your email King, we recommend to call 0800 726 786 for support if having problems with firmware."

I think I will take a pass on the free-call number.
--
King YONG

 King YONG's gear list:King YONG's gear list
Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +16 more
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 6,192
Re: Samsung Screws Up Yet Another Firmware Update (EX1)

Why not ring them up. It will be much more effective than emails where it can take a week to have a 5 minute conversation? At least it is a free number if 0800 is free in NZ and I have found Samsung can be helpful.

King YONG wrote:

The reply was quick but unhelpful.

"Thank you for your email King, we recommend to call 0800 726 786 for support if having problems with firmware."

I think I will take a pass on the free-call number.
--
King YONG

OP snake_b Veteran Member • Posts: 4,680
Re: Samsung Screws Up Yet Another Firmware Update (EX1)

Support calls for most anything is not free in Germany. They charge 14cents per minute for the call on top of what my phone carrier charges for this type of call, so all told, it's in the 50+ cent range per minute, mostly for waiting. The last time I called, I had such an experience which cost me about 4 euros just to wait before I had a person that could simply have been a burnt out, disillusioned german robot give me zero information.

Greynerd wrote:

Why not ring them up. It will be much more effective than emails where it can take a week to have a 5 minute conversation? At least it is a free number if 0800 is free in NZ and I have found Samsung can be helpful.

King YONG wrote:

The reply was quick but unhelpful.

"Thank you for your email King, we recommend to call 0800 726 786 for support if having problems with firmware."

I think I will take a pass on the free-call number.
--
King YONG

tjobbe
tjobbe Senior Member • Posts: 1,430
Re: Samsung Screws Up Yet Another Firmware Update (EX1)

http://www.0180.info/suche.html?s=+0180+5+7267864

gets you all the direkt access numbers to Samsung support Germany so maybe that helps you to solve your obvious issues with them

snake_b wrote:

Support calls for most anything is not free in Germany. They charge 14cents per minute for the call on top of what my phone carrier charges for this type of call, so all told, it's in the 50+ cent range per minute, mostly for waiting. The last time I called, I had such an experience which cost me about 4 euros just to wait before I had a person that could simply have been a burnt out, disillusioned german robot give me zero information.

Greynerd wrote:

Why not ring them up. It will be much more effective than emails where it can take a week to have a 5 minute conversation? At least it is a free number if 0800 is free in NZ and I have found Samsung can be helpful.

King YONG wrote:

The reply was quick but unhelpful.

"Thank you for your email King, we recommend to call 0800 726 786 for support if having problems with firmware."

I think I will take a pass on the free-call number.
--
King YONG

 tjobbe's gear list:tjobbe's gear list
Samsung NX300 Samsung NX30 Samyang 35mm F1.4 AS UMC Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 12-24mm F4-5.6 ED +18 more
OP snake_b Veteran Member • Posts: 4,680
Re: Samsung Screws Up Yet Another Firmware Update (EX1)

Incorrect. Here's the info from Samsung's actual contact page:

TV, Audio & Video, Hausgeräte, Monitore & Projektoren, Notebooks
Telefon 0180 5 SAMSUNG bzw. 0180 5 7267864*
( 0,14 € Min. aus dem dt. Festnetz, aus dem Mobilfunk max. 0,42 € Min.)

Telefax 0180 5 121214*
( 0,14 € Min. aus dem dt. Festnetz, aus dem Mobilfunk max. 0,42 € Min.)

Montag – Freitag: 08:00 – 20:00 Uhr
Samstag: 09:00 – 17:00 Uhr

Telekommunikation (Mobiltelefone, MP3/MP4-Player, Tablets)
Telefon 0180 5 M SAMSUNG bzw. 0180 5 67267864*
( 0,14 € Min. aus dem dt. Festnetz, aus dem Mobilfunk max. 0,42 € Min.)

http://samsung.de/de/function/info/contactus.aspx?pid=de_footer_contact_16032011

tjobbe wrote:
http://www.0180.info/suche.html?s=+0180+5+7267864

gets you all the direkt access numbers to Samsung support Germany so maybe that helps you to solve your obvious issues with them

snake_b wrote:

Support calls for most anything is not free in Germany. They charge 14cents per minute for the call on top of what my phone carrier charges for this type of call, so all told, it's in the 50+ cent range per minute, mostly for waiting. The last time I called, I had such an experience which cost me about 4 euros just to wait before I had a person that could simply have been a burnt out, disillusioned german robot give me zero information.

Greynerd wrote:

Why not ring them up. It will be much more effective than emails where it can take a week to have a 5 minute conversation? At least it is a free number if 0800 is free in NZ and I have found Samsung can be helpful.

King YONG wrote:

The reply was quick but unhelpful.

"Thank you for your email King, we recommend to call 0800 726 786 for support if having problems with firmware."

I think I will take a pass on the free-call number.
--
King YONG

tjobbe
tjobbe Senior Member • Posts: 1,430
Re: Samsung Screws Up Yet Another Firmware Update (EX1)

Dickkopf

snake_b wrote:
Incorrect. Here's the info from Samsung's actual contact page:

TV, Audio & Video, Hausgeräte, Monitore & Projektoren, Notebooks
Telefon 0180 5 SAMSUNG bzw. 0180 5 7267864*
( 0,14 € Min. aus dem dt. Festnetz, aus dem Mobilfunk max. 0,42 € Min.)

Telefax 0180 5 121214*
( 0,14 € Min. aus dem dt. Festnetz, aus dem Mobilfunk max. 0,42 € Min.)

Montag – Freitag: 08:00 – 20:00 Uhr
Samstag: 09:00 – 17:00 Uhr

Telekommunikation (Mobiltelefone, MP3/MP4-Player, Tablets)
Telefon 0180 5 M SAMSUNG bzw. 0180 5 67267864*
( 0,14 € Min. aus dem dt. Festnetz, aus dem Mobilfunk max. 0,42 € Min.)

http://samsung.de/de/function/info/contactus.aspx?pid=de_footer_contact_16032011

tjobbe wrote:
http://www.0180.info/suche.html?s=+0180+5+7267864

gets you all the direkt access numbers to Samsung support Germany so maybe that helps you to solve your obvious issues with them

snake_b wrote:

Support calls for most anything is not free in Germany. They charge 14cents per minute for the call on top of what my phone carrier charges for this type of call, so all told, it's in the 50+ cent range per minute, mostly for waiting. The last time I called, I had such an experience which cost me about 4 euros just to wait before I had a person that could simply have been a burnt out, disillusioned german robot give me zero information.

Greynerd wrote:

Why not ring them up. It will be much more effective than emails where it can take a week to have a 5 minute conversation? At least it is a free number if 0800 is free in NZ and I have found Samsung can be helpful.

King YONG wrote:

The reply was quick but unhelpful.

"Thank you for your email King, we recommend to call 0800 726 786 for support if having problems with firmware."

I think I will take a pass on the free-call number.
--
King YONG

 tjobbe's gear list:tjobbe's gear list
Samsung NX300 Samsung NX30 Samyang 35mm F1.4 AS UMC Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 12-24mm F4-5.6 ED +18 more
OP snake_b Veteran Member • Posts: 4,680
Re: Samsung Screws Up Yet Another Firmware Update (EX1)

lololololl

Loring von Palleske Contributing Member • Posts: 524
Re: Samsung Screws Up Yet Another Firmware Update (EX1)

I will look into this - stay tuned!

 Loring von Palleske's gear list:Loring von Palleske's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS-1D Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Samsung Galaxy NX Samsung NX30 +18 more
OP snake_b Veteran Member • Posts: 4,680
Re: Samsung Screws Up Yet Another Firmware Update (EX1)

Thanks for looking out, Loring!

pocoman Contributing Member • Posts: 509
Re: Samsung Screws Up Yet Another Firmware Update (EX1)

Thanks Loring, much appreciated.

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 6,192
Re: Samsung Screws Up Yet Another Firmware Update (EX1)

Is there any hope Loring that firmware could be rolled back for NX and EX1? This would take the pressure off Samsung if new firmware is buggy.

Loring von Palleske wrote:

I will look into this - stay tuned!

brianj Forum Pro • Posts: 14,657
Re: Samsung Screws Up Yet Another Firmware Update (EX1)

EX1 firmware can be rolled back if it is pre Intelli-studio, not sure about this latest one.

Brian

Greynerd wrote:

Is there any hope Loring that firmware could be rolled back for NX and EX1? This would take the pressure off Samsung if new firmware is buggy.

Loring von Palleske wrote:

I will look into this - stay tuned!

 brianj's gear list:brianj's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads