Canon S100 lens error issue Locked

Started Feb 4, 2012 | Discussions
This thread is locked.
CKTan8 New Member • Posts: 3
Canon S100 lens error issue

Very disappointed with the camera using less than 2 months and now broken with the lens error problem causing camera shut down automatically

Keto Regular Member • Posts: 432
Re: Canon S100 lens error issue

If it's that new it should still be under warranty at least.

wildplaces
wildplaces Senior Member • Posts: 1,117

Would be interested to hear what Canon's diagnosis is.
--
wildplaces

http://www.pbase.com/wildplaces/galleries & http://www.wildplaces.me

Zoolooy New Member • Posts: 18

Hi. I also had this issue with an S100 that was two weeks old. What helped: recharging the battery to FULL, putting it in and out a number of times while holding various buttons down at the same time.

At some point the camera jumped back to life... but for a camera this new, which was barely out of the house 2 or 3 times, this error was also quite disconcerting to me.

The extreme long delays on current shipments of the S100 to Europe almost imply that Canon has discovered some severe quality issues on current or former production with this camera.

TLC Bangalore New Member • Posts: 1

This Canon error is a major defect that has been ignored too long by Canon.
I brought my 14th month old S95 For repair last week at the KL Megamall and
someone was at the same counter complaining about her S90 lens error problem.
Too bad Canon doesn't fix this problem, it's a great camera (when it works)

OP CKTan8 New Member • Posts: 3

Still not working anyway thanks for the suggestion

OP CKTan8 New Member • Posts: 3

Ya still under warranty. I m staying in Asia n this unit bought from US n it is not international warranty

(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 14,097
Try a hard reset

Zoolooy wrote:

Hi. I also had this issue with an S100 that was two weeks old. What helped: recharging the battery to FULL, putting it in and out a number of times while holding various buttons down at the same time.

Glad this worked for you. The OP may also want to try a hard reset:

-Put fully-charged batteries in the camera; remove the memory card.
-Double click the on/off button; he camera will turn on and then off.
-Hit the on/off button again.

Minos82 Forum Member • Posts: 71
Re: Try a hard reset

This error is all too common with the Canon compacts.

A one month old Canon ELPH310 gave me the same error on the first day of a trip in the Galapagos. Quite disconcerning to say the least.

At the same time, I have an old IXUS70 that never had any problem like that. Those Canons are no longer what they used to be. Quality has gone downhill as may be observed by looking at the specs of the new Powershots of today...

Common?? My 4 year old IXUS had 3x zoom and f2.8-f4.9 for about the same sensor size... What's going on?

I hav been so annoyed with Canon lately that I have switched my business to Sony with the NEX. Hope this will be a good move!

Minos

(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 14,097
Re: Try a hard reset

Minos82 wrote:

I hav been so annoyed with Canon lately that I have switched my business to Sony with the NEX. Hope this will be a good move!

You can't go wrong with the NEX, imho. If I could only afford the NEX7, I'd buy it.

I've lucked out with my Canon cameras, except the SD4000, which I really liked but it had a spot on the lens or sensor. My SD700, a six year old camera, is still going strong, as are my SD890, S90 and XSi/450D. I've owned at least a dozen Canon cameras and, other than stated, never had a problem.

steve ohlhaber Regular Member • Posts: 471

Yeah, my s95 was 3 months old and chronically had the lens error, sent it back, they fixed it, but they have some strange bug with the lens mechanism. Its a fairly common problem. It is a great camera when it works though.

z909 Junior Member • Posts: 25

Common problems put me off buying Canon cameras.

First & foremost, I expect consumer products to be reliable. Especially if it is a compact camera costing over £300.

PanaNewbie Regular Member • Posts: 300

Is there a brand of camera that has zero problems? In resarching and reading all reviews on the Pansonic LX-5, Fuji X10, Olympus XZ-1, it appears that every brand has had faulty units, some doa, some hot pixels on screen, loose assembly, etc.

Read the negative Amazon reviews on whatever brand you favour and I'll wager you will find people who have had bad experiences. It may appear that you see lots of issues with Canon cameras, in a Canon forum, when compared to another brand... when you sell the quantity of cameras Canon does, there will no doubt be problem units. They will ship -32 million- cameras in 2012.

http://6sightreport.com/2012/02/03/canon-earnings-disappoint-president-steps-down/

Price has very little to do with it. My $9 Citizen alarm clock has been going strong after 15 years and being knocked onto the floor countless times, my BMW has been in the shop numerous times after it's been babied...

z909 wrote:

Common problems put me off buying Canon cameras.

First & foremost, I expect consumer products to be reliable. Especially if it is a compact camera costing over £300.

shimp Junior Member • Posts: 38
shimp Junior Member • Posts: 38
Gesture Veteran Member • Posts: 7,216

Lens zoom, lens retraction, internal lens cover mechanisms-an Achilles heel of many a modern compact digital camera. Consider the torque involved, the complex action required, the likely construction quality, etc. not to mention collimation issues. I have vintage digitals much better built than most recent, but that is still an issue-i.e. the otherwise exceptional Pentax Optio 450/550/555.

z909 Junior Member • Posts: 25

1 I see a lot more reports of Canon lens problems than Panasonic issues. Also, but where surveys ARE done across a breadth of consumer products, Panasonic are usually top or near top for reliability.

2 Price may not affect reliability, but it certainly influences my ability to tolerate premature failure. A £350 camera is something I would expect to last for at least 5 years.

PanaNewbie Regular Member • Posts: 300

And so you should, Canon ships 3x the number of cameras that Panasonic does.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-04-15/sony-nikon-narrow-gap-to-canon-with-new-digital-camera-models.html

19% of market share was 32 million shipped for Canon, so Panasonic's 7.6% market share = 12.8 million units shipped.

Simple statistics tell you that there will be more problems in 32 million units versus 12.8 million, almost 3x the number sold.

I hear lots more complaints about Ford's than I do Porsche's - same idea.

z909 wrote:

1 I see a lot more reports of Canon lens problems than Panasonic issues. Also, but where surveys ARE done across a breadth of consumer products, Panasonic are usually top or near top for reliability.

webwalkerant New Member • Posts: 5

I'm in the middle of a 2 month trio around Europe and I just got this error last night. It has happened a couple of times in recent weeks but turning it on and off fixed it. Now no matter what I seem to do its not retracting the lens. This makes it particular painful trying to pack it and get it home even. Big fail by Canon as I was relying on this brand new camera to help capture memories of this trip that we have spend years saving for.

wildplaces
wildplaces Senior Member • Posts: 1,117

Did you try to turn the camera on when the lens motion was constrained?

webwalkerant wrote:

I'm in the middle of a 2 month trio around Europe and I just got this error last night. It has happened a couple of times in recent weeks but turning it on and off fixed it. Now no matter what I seem to do its not retracting the lens. This makes it particular painful trying to pack it and get it home even. Big fail by Canon as I was relying on this brand new camera to help capture memories of this trip that we have spend years saving for.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads