How to convert pdf to epub

Started Feb 4, 2012 | Discussions
davidevans1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,565
How to convert pdf to epub

I have a few pdf books that I've put on iPad as pdfs (in iBooks)

I was thinking of trying to convert the pdf files to epub format, but before doing this can anyone advise please:
Is it worth it, or do pdfs work just as well as epib format?

If it is worth it, can anyone recommend a reliable converter, that won't cause problems with other programs, download viruses etc (I'm paranoid about downloading stuff from sources I don't know!)?
I'm using a PC, incase that makes a difference.
Thanks
--
David

davidevans1's gear list:davidevans1's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R III Sony Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA SSM Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 135mm F2.8 +1 more
Mentor_1 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,773
Re: How to convert pdf to epub

this works very well for me and it converts any format to any format.
http://calibre-ebook.com/download
--
May the light be with you
Stop global whining
Stupid should hurt

Gear: My Lab Lara, cameras, lens, tripod, monopod, cars, MH, motorcycles (yah bought another), helmet, yacht, etc. too much stuff.

OP davidevans1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,565

Thanks. I'll have a go with that then.
--
David

davidevans1's gear list:davidevans1's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R III Sony Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA SSM Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 135mm F2.8 +1 more
coolaction Regular Member • Posts: 327

I will have to give that a try later

gpsdude2 Junior Member • Posts: 29

Before you jump ship with PDF's, you might look at GoodReader for the iPad. Yes, it's $4.99, but we use it to read/manage PDF's on the iPad.

3herosoft New Member • Posts: 1

Want to enjoy your favorate PDF eBooks with ePub Readers like iPhone, iPod, iPad, Kindle and more? 3herosoft PDF to EPUB Converter for Mac helps you easily convert the PDF pages to EPUB in TXT or picture mode, while it also supports drag or load multiple PDF files to application then simultaneously convert to EPUB at one time. If users just want to extract some pages but not the whole large PDF eBook, you can use this PDF converter to customize page ranges or select specific PDF pages to convert.

For windows user, you can use 3herosoft PDF to EPUB Converter to get the ePub format files and enjoy with your cool handy readers.

To get this smart PDF tool, just visit 3herosoft.com

• PDF to EPUB Conversion without Adobe Reader or Acrobat

• View PDF files on eBooks in EPUB format

• Batch PDF to EPUB conversion at high speed

• Extract image from PDF without quality losing

Glen Barrington
Glen Barrington Forum Pro • Posts: 19,679
Calibre is great!

Think of it as Lightroom for eBooks. and it is open source (free!)
--
I'm so bright, my father calls me son.

Now that you've judged the quality of my typing, take a look at my photos. . .
http://www.jpgmag.com/people/glenbarrington/photos

Glen Barrington's gear list:Glen Barrington's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 +12 more
2marius New Member • Posts: 1

I recommend the following service. It is free and the results are pretty good...

http://www.go4epub.com/

Cheers,

marius

fuego6
fuego6 Senior Member • Posts: 2,287
Re: Calibre is great!

agree 100%  +1

BobSC Veteran Member • Posts: 3,714

I just use pdf's on my iphone. What is the advantage of epub?

AwkwardSwine Contributing Member • Posts: 659

BobSC wrote:

I just use pdf's on my iphone. What is the advantage of epub?

Lots of ebooks come with formats that limit's the books use on the device of your choice, and sometime the period of time that you can use it.  Many of these are in ePub or PDF form.  (Or Kindle)  Calibre can help you to convert these books to a format that works for your device.

For example. many OverDrive ebooks from your public library books are in PDF or ePub, and your Kindle can only read "MOBI" format books with no DRM.  Calibre will allow you do convert to Kindle compatible Mobi format.  I like a free phone e-reader app called Freda, and it only works with ePub (I think) so I often convert to that format with Calibre.

CAcreeks
CAcreeks Forum Pro • Posts: 12,549
Why Epub instead of PDF?

BobSC wrote:

I just use PDFs on my iphone. What is the advantage of epub?

That was the question I asked.

My prediction is that, in the long run, everybody will support PDF and epub/mobi will fade away.

But I have been wrong before!

That said, Calibre is great. I have it installed and use it for testing epub/mobi on Linux.

tcg550 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,970

One of my favorite sites for converting various things to other things. They support eopub conversions.

http://www.zamzar.com/

Buttly New Member • Posts: 3

Awesome converter to create epub from PDF. I also search a freeware 3DPageFlip PDF to ePub to convert PDF to Epub. That's free and useful for my work.

WinifredM New Member • Posts: 7

3herosoft PDF to EPUB Converter is quite useful ,but im still customed to use pdf converter , which has been in my possession for long time.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads