D300 continuous high speed mode

Started Feb 4, 2012 | Discussions
Timskis6 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,567
D300 continuous high speed mode

I think I've missed something here, can't seem to get my D300 to shoot past 1fps or so.

I have set the control dial to C-h, AF mode to S, release priority, and shutter speed of 1/3200.

What setting did I miss? C-low is set to 3fps in the menu, and I'm still only getting about 1fps.

Cheers,
--
Tim
http://www.developemotion.com
'I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list.'
E3/7-14/12-60/35-100/150/EC20
http://www.flickr.com/photos/timskis6/

Nikon D300 Olympus E-3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
PHXAZCRAIG
PHXAZCRAIG Forum Pro • Posts: 19,060
Re: D300 continuous high speed mode

1. If the camera is shooting in 14-bit RAW mode, the maximum FPS is reduced to 2.5, and the shutter lag almost doubles.

2. If you are getting even slower performance than that, the only thing I've seen cause such slow speeds is low enough light to cause the shutter speed to drop into the 1 second or so speed.

-- hide signature --
 PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +45 more
Turbguy1
Turbguy1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,458

You need a good battery to provide enough current, else the cam slows. Is yours good?

Turbguy1's gear list:Turbguy1's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7 Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z5 Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Nikon D300 +3 more
steves7k Contributing Member • Posts: 626

d9 exposure delay should be set off

OP Timskis6 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,567

It was indeed a combination of 14-bit and a low-ish battery (25%). Changing those two gets me back to a faster frame rate. Thanks!

Cheers,
--
Tim

racepilt New Member • Posts: 1

Hi

In front on the camera you must fix (there are M,S,C) to the C to have what you need.

olyflyer
olyflyer Forum Pro • Posts: 28,392

Timskis6 wrote:

It was indeed a combination of 14-bit and a low-ish battery (25%). Changing those two gets me back to a faster frame rate. Thanks!

Tim, in 14-bit mode the camera shoots 2.5fps. If yours only take 1fps there is something else also. For example AF can slow it down as well.

olyflyer's gear list:olyflyer's gear list
Nikon Z7
Pygmi Regular Member • Posts: 265

olyflyer wrote:

Timskis6 wrote:

Tim, in 14-bit mode the camera shoots 2.5fps. If yours only take 1fps there is something else also. For example AF can slow it down as well.

Agreed, I'm pretty sure that this has something to do with AF-settings.

Set Manual focus, manual exposure with high shutter speed, 12 bit mode and then try. If this helps then the way you have configured the AF or how you use the AF is the cause.

Then as already suggested, there are also other settings that may slow down your camera. I think that none of those should be the reason if you have not explicitly set them to do so...

By the way, I have never experienced low battery to have noticeable effect on this. My D300 happily shoots at 8 fps or close to that as long as there is some juice...this is however not a fact, just that I have never noticed anything like that. On the other hand I only use LiIon (ENEL3e/ENEL4a). Maybe there s a difference is other type of batteries are used (in the grip).

olyflyer

PHXAZCRAIG wrote:

1. If the camera is shooting in 14-bit RAW mode, the maximum FPS is reduced to 2.5, and the shutter lag almost doubles.

No. The shutter lag is 95 ms and has no affect on the fps, since it is always the same. The specified fps is 2.5 in 14-bit mode, but my tests of the D300s shows that in reality it is higher than that.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1039&message=40512109

The frame rate drops when the buffer is filled, but that does not happen before the 18th image is taken in 14-bit lossless raw. Of course, the camera must be in manual exposure, manual focus and also the VR must be off.

2. If you are getting even slower performance than that, the only thing I've seen cause such slow speeds is low enough light to cause the shutter speed to drop into the 1 second or so speed.

Well, even other things, like VR and AF effects the performance, but yes, if the shutter speed is too low than the fps will also be lower, that's obvious.

Nikon Z7
Karld70 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,553

You will get the fast FPS rate in all three modes. In S you have to wait for the camera to focus when you push down the shutter button, but any frame after that will be just as fast..

racepilt wrote:

Hi

In front on the camera you must fix (there are M,S,C) to the C to have what you need.

olyflyer

Karld70 wrote:

You will get the fast FPS rate in all three modes. In S you have to wait for the camera to focus when you push down the shutter button, but any frame after that will be just as fast..

Not really. CSM is the focus mode selector, but the M switch the lenses which has it overrides that switch. Also, "S" has nothing to do with AF on half push of shutter release button, it is just the Single servo AF mode, so each push of the shutter release results in one single AF attempt. If the AF is engaged or not is a different matter and also depends on the M switch on the lens as well as the configuration you have for the shutter release button. Many people use only the AF-ON.

Nikon Z7
olyflyer

Pygmi wrote:

olyflyer wrote:

Timskis6 wrote:

Agreed, I'm pretty sure that this has something to do with AF-settings.

Actually, that's not what I am saying. Of course Tim's problem can be caused by having the camera in AF, but it can be other things as well, like for example the VR, which also slows down the fps.

Set Manual focus, manual exposure with high shutter speed, 12 bit mode and then try. If this helps then the way you have configured the AF or how you use the AF is the cause.

The VR can still be a problem if you want to get the highest fps, it should be off.

Then as already suggested, there are also other settings that may slow down your camera. I think that none of those should be the reason if you have not explicitly set them to do so...

By the way, I have never experienced low battery to have noticeable effect on this. My D300 happily shoots at 8 fps or close to that as long as there is some juice...this is however not a fact, just that I have never noticed anything like that. On the other hand I only use LiIon (ENEL3e/ENEL4a). Maybe there s a difference is other type of batteries are used (in the grip).

I don't use grip but I have also not noticed any fps drop due to not fully charged batteries. In fact, I performed the fps test in this thread...

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1039&message=40512109

...without using a fully charged battery.

Nikon Z7
Karld70 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,553

My reply was to racepilt letting him know you do not need to be in 'C' mode for fast FPS to work. Yes it will depend on how you have the camera setup.

racepilt wrote:

olyflyer wrote:

Karld70 wrote:

Not really. CSM is the focus mode selector, but the M switch the lenses which has it overrides that switch. Also, "S" has nothing to do with AF on half push of shutter release button, it is just the Single servo AF mode, so each push of the shutter release results in one single AF attempt. If the AF is engaged or not is a different matter and also depends on the M switch on the lens as well as the configuration you have for the shutter release button. Many people use only the AF-ON.

OP Timskis6 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,567

olyflyer wrote:

Timskis6 wrote:

I think perhaps I was a bit excited when I said "1fps." I didn't actually measure anything, just counted in my head. In all likelihood it was shooting faster (say, 2.5fps), just certainly not in the 5+ fps range.

After changing to 12-bit mode things were shooting much faster. No idea if it's exactly 6-7fps, but plenty fast for my uses.

Any idea why the frame rate drops in 14-bit mode? I would have thought the frame rate stays the same, just processing takes longer, so less total images in succession.

Cheers,
--
Tim

olyflyer

Timskis6 wrote:

olyflyer wrote:

Timskis6 wrote:

I think perhaps I was a bit excited when I said "1fps." I didn't actually measure anything, just counted in my head. In all likelihood it was shooting faster (say, 2.5fps), just certainly not in the 5+ fps range.

Yes, the camera gets noticably slower in 14-bit.

After changing to 12-bit mode things were shooting much faster. No idea if it's exactly 6-7fps, but plenty fast for my uses.

Any idea why the frame rate drops in 14-bit mode? I would have thought the frame rate stays the same, just processing takes longer, so less total images in succession.

Sorry, I have no idea. Some people say Nikon has crippled the D300, I don't know, maybe they are right.

Nikon Z7
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads