Friedman's book on A77/A65 is ready

Started Feb 3, 2012 | Discussions
Mike CH Veteran Member • Posts: 9,631
Re: Friedman's book on A77/A65 is ready

Lucas_ wrote:

I totally agree with you, Will. Sharing software it's an efficient and quite normal procedure.

Of course it is. I would for sure hope that there is a very large common base between the A65 and the A77 firmware.

But bugs like this are easily prevented in anything but the worst, cheapest thrash software.

Regards,
Mike
--
Wait and see...

Mike CH's gear list:Mike CH's gear list
Canon G7 X II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +14 more
garykohs
garykohs Veteran Member • Posts: 4,712
Gary's best book yet!

This is the 4th of Gary's books I've purchased and this is easily the best one yet. It's an indispensable tool for any owner of an a77 or a65.

I haven't taken the time to examine each of the "bells and whistles" of the a77 and Gary has done a great job of providing a description of each, together with recommendations - geared to an enthusiast - of when to use them and which ones to avoid.

I've learned a lot in the last six or so hours that I've spent with Gary's book. I think my greatest surprise is the realization of the incredible value of face recognition. That's a feature I've had turned off but I now realize it's going to make my task of shooting baseball team portrait shots next week a lot easier. Instead of focus and recompose or manually selecting a focus point over the face the a77 will do that for me. I'll get equivalent or better results and be able to shoot much quicker!

I do want to note one error, which Gary has already acknowledged via email. The a77 (and I assume the a65) does NOT force auto ISO - as the a55 does - when in the high speed (12 fps/10fps) mode. Nobody's perfect!

Kudos to Gary on a great book!
--
Gary

garykohs's gear list:garykohs's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Canon EOS-1D X Sony a99 II Sony a9 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +16 more
gspam1 Regular Member • Posts: 168
Re: Gary's best book yet!

+1 I had turned off the face recognition as well, and was also suprised to see it could be very useful. Thanks Gary!

garykohs wrote:

This is the 4th of Gary's books I've purchased and this is easily the best one yet. It's an indispensable tool for any owner of an a77 or a65.

I haven't taken the time to examine each of the "bells and whistles" of the a77 and Gary has done a great job of providing a description of each, together with recommendations - geared to an enthusiast - of when to use them and which ones to avoid.

I've learned a lot in the last six or so hours that I've spent with Gary's book. I think my greatest surprise is the realization of the incredible value of face recognition. That's a feature I've had turned off but I now realize it's going to make my task of shooting baseball team portrait shots next week a lot easier. Instead of focus and recompose or manually selecting a focus point over the face the a77 will do that for me. I'll get equivalent or better results and be able to shoot much quicker!

I do want to note one error, which Gary has already acknowledged via email. The a77 (and I assume the a65) does NOT force auto ISO - as the a55 does - when in the high speed (12 fps/10fps) mode. Nobody's perfect!

Kudos to Gary on a great book!
--
Gary

Gary Friedman Regular Member • Posts: 357
Re: He is a good source indeed!

Ralf Bliesener wrote:

Did you notice that he has never received an award?

What do you mean? I've received LOTS of awards!!

(There were many more, but the fact is I didn't have a fisheye lens with me. )

-GF

Ralf B
Ralf B Veteran Member • Posts: 8,370
LOL, Gary!

I stand corrected very happily!
At least you don't brag about'em on your eBook web page.
--
Ralf
http://RalfRalph.smugmug.com/

Ralf B's gear list:Ralf B's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha a99 Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +14 more
tnagy Regular Member • Posts: 125

Just take a look at page 565...

tnagy's gear list:tnagy's gear list
Sony Alpha a99 Sony a6000 Sony a7 III Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +13 more
jamesbware Regular Member • Posts: 113

One interesting feature I picked up straight away.

First turn the Object tracking off.

I nearly always use centre spot focus and recompose.

If you set focus to wide.

Then press the centre joystick button you can toggle between wide focus and centre spot - Getting the best of both worlds.

Nice

jamesbware's gear list:jamesbware's gear list
Sony Alpha a99 Sony a77 II Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM +4 more
Archer66 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,448
Ping: Gary

Any idea when Kindle version is available ?

Re: Ping: Gary

It was scheduled for the end of this week; however there was a family emergency which resulted in a hospital stay. Please know I'm working on it.

-GF

Karl Scharf
Karl Scharf Veteran Member • Posts: 3,988

jamesbware wrote:

Then press the centre joystick button you can toggle between wide focus and centre spot - Getting the best of both worlds.

Nice

This is indeed a great feature that is easy to work with, along with the AF/MF button that lets you toggle between full AF and MF with focus peaking just by pressing one button!

Add to that the focus magnifier function and ability to micro adjust specific lenses.

No more excuses for out of focus images and missed exposures!
--

• Happiness is: Sony SLT-A77 / Rokinon 8mm / Sigma 10-20, 18-250, 50-500mm - Karl

Karl Scharf's gear list:Karl Scharf's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Sony a77 II Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM +8 more
garykohs
garykohs Veteran Member • Posts: 4,712

Karl Scharf wrote:

jamesbware wrote:

Nice

This is indeed a great feature that is easy to work with, along with the AF/MF button that lets you toggle between full AF and MF with focus peaking just by pressing one button!

Add to that the focus magnifier function and ability to micro adjust specific lenses.

No more excuses for out of focus images and missed exposures!

Karl, that doesn't begin to exhaust my list of excuses!

-- hide signature --

Gary

garykohs's gear list:garykohs's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Canon EOS-1D X Sony a99 II Sony a9 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +16 more
Knowclue Regular Member • Posts: 442

Gary Friedman wrote:

It was scheduled for the end of this week; however there was a family emergency which resulted in a hospital stay. Please know I'm working on it.

-GF

Hi Gary,

As soon as your PDF was available I have tried to purchase it but the link just times out, the other two books were no hassle but that was last year and I was wondering if this is only for USA at the moment.

Except I seem like the only person who cannot get the link to work.

Knowclue's gear list:Knowclue's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F717 Sony Alpha DSLR-A350 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700

Someone else from Australia had the exact same problem earlier today (his ISP was transgrid.com.au). Had to complete his order manually and email him the links. I'll do the same for you. Please email me at Gary at Friedman Archives dot com.

Just for the record, a lot of Australian ISPs routinely block email from my domain without even bouncing them back: optusnet.com.au, bigpond.net.au are the worst offenders. This means that I have to manually send download emails from a different email address for every Australian order that comes in. Kind of nullifies the advantage of an automated system. If anyone knows the keepers of the whitelists for those companies, could you kindly put them in touch with me?

-GF

William Porter
William Porter Senior Member • Posts: 1,730

Mike CH wrote:

William Porter wrote:

But what was Sony supposed to do?

How about just moving the lower items up by one to remove the gap? The position in the display is very likely rather decoupled from the actual functionality. (And if it isn't, then they likely have worse problems than this).

Mike,

If it were me and I were the UI designer, I'd either leave the gap or fill it with an A77-only item, like GPS on/off. What I would NOT do is move all the items. At least that's not what I'd do without a good bit of thought. If people come to expect command K to be in the lower left corner, with command J right above it (one up from the bottom left) then I'd want to keep those commands in the same place on both cameras.

In my own UI work, if I have a bunch of buttons placed thus on one screern

A B C   D E F

and on another screen for some reason D isn't appropriate, I generally DO NOT move the other buttons to the left to remove a gap.

A B C   E F

Instead I leave the gap:

A B C      E F

I quite understand that a UI for a mouse-controlled computer or a touch-controlled iPad screen is a different thing from the UI for a little camera menu. I understand also that seeing buttons shift left and right as users move from one screen of a multi-screen app is much more disconcerting than dealing with a UI that's slightly different on one camera than on another. I have no experience with camera menu UI design or development so perhaps there is a well-established principle being violated here. But I doubt it.

So, speaking as one software engineer to another, I'm disinclined to condemn the camera for this particular foible. But it's clear I don't feel as strongly about it as you do.

To be honest, I think most camera menus have fairly mediocre menu systems but I try not to lose too much sleep over it. On the plus side, the UI of the A77 on the outside is, to my way of thinking anyway, extraordinarily good.

Will

William Porter's gear list:William Porter's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +12 more
Rambler358 Senior Member • Posts: 1,528

Hi Gary - purchased your A77 PDF, and am liking it a lot! Thanks for all your efforts. By chance, will there be a PDF update with hyperlinks in the TOC? If not, will the Kindle version support this feature? If so, can purchasers of the PDF get a discount on the Kindle version? TOC hyperlinks would make this great reference even better!

-- hide signature --

Ron
Torrance, CA
Galleries: http://www.pbase.com/rambler358

Rambler358's gear list:Rambler358's gear list
Sony SLT-A77

The update will have ALL internal references hyperlinked (except for the index).

-GF

ChrisSwiss Regular Member • Posts: 144
Worth the money!

Ordered a copy yesterday. After a quick look through the whole 500+ pages and then reading the first 200 or so in detail, my verdict is "Gold Award". Excellent work!
--
Visit my photos on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/zurb69

ROFLOL
ROFLOL Regular Member • Posts: 161

Any chance that your book will be in Kindle store by Thursday, Feb. 9th.?
Going on a twelve day cruise, great time to read and learn.

ROFLOL's gear list:ROFLOL's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +2 more
tnagy Regular Member • Posts: 125
Re: Worth the money!

ChrisSwiss wrote:

Ordered a copy yesterday. After a quick look through the whole 500+ pages and then reading the first 200 or so in detail, my verdict is "Gold Award". Excellent work!
--
Visit my photos on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/zurb69

Exactly, my words...great.

tnagy's gear list:tnagy's gear list
Sony Alpha a99 Sony a6000 Sony a7 III Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +13 more
BMWX5 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,142
Re: LOL, Gary!

Owned big time. Are you man enough to offer an apology?

Ralf Bliesener wrote:

I stand corrected very happily!
At least you don't brag about'em on your eBook web page.
--
Ralf
http://RalfRalph.smugmug.com/

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads