17-85 err01 fix (aperture flex cable exchange)

Started Jan 28, 2012 | Discussions
PhotonFiend Regular Member • Posts: 303
17-85 err01 fix (aperture flex cable exchange)

First a description of the problem:

During a photo shoot I was very disappointed to see "err 01" on my screen of my 40D. After resetting the camera I got a few more pictures out of it, but the error kept reoccurring. After getting home I played around and and managed to narrow the problem down. If the lens was at the wide end and the aperture was stopped down at all the error would occur every time. I could also push the aperture preview button and could see the aperture flutter and close to a different width with each push (no matter what the setting on the camera). If I zoomed the lens then everything worked fine.

Canon estimated $200 for the fix!!! I thought that was excessive so looked for alternatives.

I found several people on the internet describing similar situation with instruction on a DIY fix. The ones I found most useful I refer to here:
1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qml1ukgm58Q&feature=related

2) http://canonrepair.wordpress.com/2011/11/04/ef-s-17-85-is-aperture-change-as-simple-as-possible/

My Fix:
1. Following ref1 I just popped the black cap off the back of the lens.
2. remove 2 tiny screws that fix the lens contact to the mount.
3. remove 4 screws around the silver mount, remove the mount
4. remove cable attached to outer casing and remove casing.
5. remove remaining cable from circuit board.
6. remove 1 screw from circuit board and remove the circuit board.

7. remove 5 screws from outer black plastic ring surrounding back lens. remove ring

note CAREFULL of the focus distance sticker, its very sticky and will crinkle and stick to the inside of the lens.
8. remove rubber zoom cover.
9. remove black square sticker
10. remove 1 screw under sticker and remove the metal fingers.

11. remove 3 screws with brash bushings in slots around exposed zoom ring.
12. take out outer outer barrel.

note here I deviated from most instruction by NOT removing the front lens

13. remove too & middle inner barrel screws: 3screws+3 white bushings holding the IS unit (careful it will become loose and knock around inside) and 3screw+3 bushings holding the focus element.
14. the inner lens set will come out now by pulling the back lens straight out.

15. now the aperture is exposed inside the bottom of the barrel. remove 3screws+3 bushings holding it in place.

16. remove 1 screw holding the flex cable clip at the top and the aperture will lift out by the flex cable (this is the problem part).

17. replace the cable and reassemble.

The bad cable is on the right

Now I did not see any obvious damage on the cable like some. but the cable is pinched VERY tightly by the clip. When I replaced it I did not put the cable in the cable pinch as before, just taped it and looped it.
18. reassemble

A couple of afterthoughts.

when i got it reassemble everything worked including aperture EXCEPT focus! I could here the USM moving into position but focus would not change. there is a long fork that the USM swings that attaches to an arm on the focus element. this I did not get back in place quite right. I got it right the second time so watch out.

also i nearly stripped one of the zoom ring screws by using the wrong driver. it took me an extra day to hunt down a driver that would get this screw out. I should probably replace it, but its holding just fine ATM.

In step 7 apparently there is supposed to be 6 screw, but I only had 5!?!? I was very careful about this, and sure enough I checked my pics of before disassembling and there is one missing. hmmm...

Parts:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150594148894?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

the replacement part cost less than 4 dollars. its looks better than the original. the original has VERY thin traces running the length of the cable. The replacement widens the traces immediately following the aperture and run the full length of the rest of the cable. no doubt more robust.

I hope some find this interesting and perhaps helpful.

Canon EOS 40D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
garyknrd Contributing Member • Posts: 786
Re: 17-85 err01 fix (aperture flex cable exchange)

Nice write up and nice job. If I ever have the problem I know where to go to get the cable..

garyknrd's gear list:garyknrd's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS II USM Canon EF 400mm F4 DO IS II USM
Y0GI Veteran Member • Posts: 5,233

Thanks for taking the time to write this informative post!
--
Yogi

When you get down to the nuts and bolts of photography, the results depend on the 'nut' behind the camera!

See the 'Gear List' in my 'Profile' for my current equipment.

Check out the unofficial Rebel forum FAQ - http://snipurl.com/RebelFAQ

Y0GI's gear list:Y0GI's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +2 more
bed bug Veteran Member • Posts: 3,077
Damn, why did you not post this two weeks ago...

I just had the dreaded Err01 with my 24-105L, and some AUS$420 later...

I wish repairs in Australia were so cheap!

Kind regards
Stephen

OP PhotonFiend Regular Member • Posts: 303
Re: Damn, why did you not post this two weeks ago...

Thanks for the kind comments.

Also, dont misunderstand, I love my canon, but their warranty and repair service seems very sketchy. I found people with quotes from like problems all over the board. I saw one like mine quoted only $80 to replace the entire aperture unit. Others quotes well over $200 to fix very minor things including my problem. At my local camera shop there was someone within days prior had an identical symptom fixed for $160. Go figure??? almost enough to find my first statement sound a little silly.

Timbukto Veteran Member • Posts: 4,988

Always enjoy DIY postings. I'll go as far as clean my sensor and viewfinder myself. I'll even de-dust some lens if front elements are easy, but you go above and beyond (but I guess you didn't have much alternatives either).

To be honest there is definitely unevenness in service. It costs nearly $200 dollars for a viewfinder/sensor cleaning of my t3i...I did it myself using a $20 kit with some eclipse, swabs, and pec-pads, etc. Also where as sometimes people get quoted ridiculous amounts based on lens repairs, the Canon 17-55 IS 2.8 in the U.S. at least has a $85 dollar flat fee repair charge! That means if I drop it and wreck certain components, as long as the cost of repair does not exceed the worth of the lens itself, the $85 covers it. $85 dollars is less than 10% its retail value, and its quite funny since a lens like the 50 mm 1.4 is very prone to damage due to Canon design/build, and repair costs for those are up to 50% its retail!

People should consider what repair policy their Canon lens has since 1 year warranty runs out quick. The moment I find my repair policy differing on my Canon 17-55 IS 2.8 I'll consider buying a different lens if its the new darling child with flat fee servicing.

BTW I wonder if your repair procedures are also general procedures that enables the user to de-dust the rear elements? Its almost impossible to remove dust from rear elements that sit on top, so I wonder if that is something that was easily accessible to you.

Timbukto's gear list:Timbukto's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM

Timbukto wrote:

I wonder if your repair procedures are also general procedures that enables the user to de-dust the rear elements? Its almost impossible to remove dust from rear elements that sit on top, so I wonder if that is something that was easily accessible to you.

I would say, yes, this is the general procedure for disassembling the lens. It gives direct access to all elements except the back of the large front element and the focus lens. This is a pic of the main internal lens module.

This unit would need a bit more disassemble to get directly at the lenses but you could probably get at them indirectly through the sides. The focus lens is contained in the remaining outer module seen here

The focus lens is directly behind the aperture.

Note: while I did not go into it I understand that the front element is specifically aligned and fixed with adhesive on its screws. In my procedure I noticed the back element is fixed with adhesive on its screws. So I would say these two are the most critical and should be taken the most care with if you should decide to remove them

I hope this is what you were after.

I myself didn't really find this so daunting. so, if you are so inclined at taking things apart its quite doable. however I did find at least one case of someone going in and failing to get things to fix back together so its not for everyone.

Timbukto Veteran Member • Posts: 4,988

I just want a far better blower access to blow off obvious lint, dust. I wouldn't need to go so far as to disassemble and use pecpads or whatever. Obviously I probably am not going to do this unless it somehow gets something ridiculously large in there that could affect IQ at narrow apertures, etc. Most likely if its already clean you'll just end up putting dust in areas that weren't exposed before unless you have a really really spotless clean workroom, etc (i.e. maybe your bathroom after it has been steamed).

I'm guessing if the only need is to have better access to blow off the rear element you only need to do a small subset of dissasembly?

Timbukto's gear list:Timbukto's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
tkbslc Forum Pro • Posts: 12,374

Timbukto wrote:

BTW I wonder if your repair procedures are also general procedures that enables the user to de-dust the rear elements? Its almost impossible to remove dust from rear elements that sit on top, so I wonder if that is something that was easily accessible to you.

Unless you have access to a clean room, you'd just as likely add dust as remove it when taking apart a lens. So I'd probably only do it if you had a particularly bad case of internal dust.

GoldenSpark Senior Member • Posts: 1,037

I don't suppose many repairers have access to a clean room?

GoldenSpark wrote:

I don't suppose many repairers have access to a clean room?

I actually do, but saw no need to take advantage of that. completely unnecessary in my opinion

aus_pic_hunter Contributing Member • Posts: 506

This fault is so common that if you do a Google search you find many websites describing how to replace the flex cable. I did it myself too and it is certainly doable. Just a bad design decision by Canon.

aus_pic_hunter's gear list:aus_pic_hunter's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW120 Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +3 more
lwchen New Member • Posts: 1

Hi PhotonFiend,

After reassembled the lens, I encountered the same focus issue as you did.  Would you please describe in more detail on how you fixed the focus issue.

Thanks,

gordonez New Member • Posts: 2

lwchen wrote:

Hi PhotonFiend,

After reassembled the lens, I encountered the same focus issue as you did. Would you please describe in more detail on how you fixed the focus issue.

Thanks,

Hello guys!  I was able to replace the flex cable and reassemble the lens.  However, I too am encountering the lack of focus.  Will you please share with me how to go about fixing the focusing.

When I have it on AF, I could hear the lens trying to adjust, but the focus is still distorted.  Even on Manual setting (MF), I can't get the lens to focus.

Please help.

Thanks,

Glenn

cambomj Regular Member • Posts: 202
Re: Damn, why did you not post this two weeks ago...

bed bug wrote:

I just had the dreaded Err01 with my 24-105L, and some AUS$420 later...

I wish repairs in Australia were so cheap!

Kind regards
Stephen

Where did you get it done Stephen? Mine has just died too. I may pull it apart myself but ...

cambomj's gear list:cambomj's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 20-35mm F3.5-4.5 USM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +5 more
r32rtb New Member • Posts: 4
Re: 17-85 Focus Issue no err01

I've also got a focus issue, no err01 just won't focus.  Will this fix the focus issues?

mikengstrom Regular Member • Posts: 100
Re: 17-85 Focus Issue no err01

I've had this happen to me 3 times now. One lens twice and a once with a second lens. Canon should fix it for free or replace the lens with one that isn't defective.

hi guys,  sorry I missed you update of this thread, and for ignoring you issue.  It has been a few month so I hope you have been successful in resolving you problems.

Runeheart New Member • Posts: 1

On the last step, have you found anybody that sells the whole aperture module. I would like to buy the module instead of soldering a new flex cable on. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thank you,

photonfollower New Member • Posts: 1

Runeheart wrote:

On the last step, have you found anybody that sells the whole aperture module. I would like to buy the module instead of soldering a new flex cable on. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thank you,

The entire aperture module is available on ebay, e.g.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CANON-17-85MM-4-5-6-USM-POWER-APERTURE-DIAPHRAGM-UNIT-PART-NEW-GENUINE-OEM-/390482750985?pt=Digital_Camera_Accessories&hash=item5aea95ee09

Note that reference 2) in this original post states that when the cable only was replaced (re-soldering) the unit did not work, but it did work after replacing the entire aperture unit.

I greatly appreciate this DIY post- very helpful- but it should be stated up front that some fine-point soldering is required!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads