Do you use a USB cable or the SD card to transfer files?

Started Jan 25, 2012 | Discussions
turnstyle
turnstyle Senior Member • Posts: 1,976
Do you use a USB cable or the SD card to transfer files?

Just curious, do you use a USB cable or the SD card to transfer files?

(I'm also aware of the Eye-Fi card, but not so much asking about it.)

Is one vs. the other "safer" for long-term use? ie, with concern about wearing out contacts, breaking pins, etc.

I'm also curious: is it faster to copy from a class 10 card, vs., say, a class 6?

AndyMulhearn Contributing Member • Posts: 607
Re: Do you use a USB cable or the SD card to transfer files?

USB cable for me. I use both an iPad and a MacBook so with the camera kit, one option fits both.

AndyMulhearn's gear list:AndyMulhearn's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Fujifilm X-Pro2 Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +7 more
SQLGuy Veteran Member • Posts: 6,492

SD card for the laptop, which has a reader; USB cable for the Ubuntu box, which doesn't.
--

Nex-7 with kit lenses, Contax G 35, and a number of legacy lenses (mostly Canon FD)

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Nikon D200 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha NEX-7 NEX-5T +15 more
sean lancaster
sean lancaster Veteran Member • Posts: 7,326

I'd prefer to keep my camera turned off and setting aside any time I am not shooting. Why run the battery and the camera engine when it isn't necessary? So I remove the SD card and have a reader on my Macbook Air or and a USB card reader on my main Mac.

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a7R II Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 +4 more
turnstyle
OP turnstyle Senior Member • Posts: 1,976

Is there much reason to worry that regularly popping the SD card in/out is going to wear out the connection?

turnschuh Regular Member • Posts: 285

I plug in USB Cable, what then automatically happens is:

• All New pictures get downloaded and stored to HDD

• Pictures are getting uploaded to dropbox

This way I can work with the pictures right away, everywhere.

I dont understand why someone would remove SD Card, its just so mutch easier to plug in a cable.

Im thinking about Eye-Fi aswell but its just easier to plug in usb, instead of turning on the Setting in the Menü.
--
http://hippieschuh.phanfare.com/

turnschuh's gear list:turnschuh's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon 24mm F1.8G ED +1 more
SparkleHedgehog
SparkleHedgehog Senior Member • Posts: 2,115

I always remove the sd card to place straight into my iMac, never had any connector issues and been doing this for ages

SparkleHedgehog's gear list:SparkleHedgehog's gear list
Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony a7R II Sony FE 70-200 F4
BruinBlue Regular Member • Posts: 107

I use the USB adaptor that came with my Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo card. Download to HDD, import into Lightroom.

BruinBlue's gear list:BruinBlue's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Sony a6500 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS +4 more
sean lancaster
sean lancaster Veteran Member • Posts: 7,326

turnschuh wrote:

I dont understand why someone would remove SD Card, its just so mutch easier to plug in a cable.

My Macbook Air has a SD card reader built in. I cannot understand how it would be easier for me to instead carry around a USB cable. That's an extra accessory that I don't need. In the time a person takes to get out the USB cable and connect it to the camera and connect it to the computer, my photos are already uploading onto my laptop.

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a7R II Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 +4 more
N0BOX Regular Member • Posts: 145

I also just use the SD card alone. My Asus Transformer(1) has an SD card reader built into the keyboard dock and my Ubuntu netbox has a card reader. My main PC requires a USB SD card reader, but I leave it plugged into the computer all the time. Lightroom opens and begs to import the pictures on the card any time I plug the SD card in (Lightroom 4 beta), which is insanely annoying to me, but some people might like that.

1 - I found a couple of apps on the Android Market that will view Sony's RAW format: RawDroid(view, free) and RawVision(view/edit, pay)

N0BOX's gear list:N0BOX's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 50-200mm F4-5.6 DC OS HSM +10 more
Fredy Ross Veteran Member • Posts: 6,812

I use the same card reader for years for many cameras and have no problem. Only now with Sony I went to download a video and it told me I could only do it with the camera not a card. What to do as I don't want to look for the cable?
--
fredyr

Slynky Senior Member • Posts: 2,434

(where is our forum poll option...)

I use the cable. The cable is connected to my PC all the time. It's very easy to plug it in the side of the camera and turn on the camera and transfer.

I'm assuming (with my many years of IT experience) that the company provided a cable to be used as the preferred method of transferring images. When I handle the cable, I don't have to worry about what I touch. It was designed to be plugged in and unplugged.

On the other hand, removing the memory card each time seems more time-consuming, may require the purchase of some kind of reader (if you don't have a built-in one), and is most prone to cause problems by touching something you shouldn't have, dropping it, or bending it. I remove the memory card only when I don't have a cable (like at a friends house or something).

As far as I'm concerned, this is the way Sony (and other manufacturers) prefer. Otherwise, I imagine they would have saved production costs by eliminating the cable, the door to the connector, the connector slot, and the internal circuits to connect it to the camera and just let people remove the memory card each time.
--

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life".

(...from the generation that still uses capital letters and punctuation...)

Slynky's gear list:Slynky's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +3 more
jementa Junior Member • Posts: 33

Just my 2 cents worth.

Was using Eye-Fi Pro 8gb as I luv seemless transfer. However as i wanted to transfer jpeg to iphone or ipad and raw to PC, i find that Eye-fi is not very reliable...sometimes i do nto know where are the files....in transition with the server of eye-fi some where.

So at times i need to take out the Eye-fi to transfer my raw to PC, not sure if it is the PC or the camera, the corner of the Eye-fi card is chipped when pushing in, leaving the connectors in tact. Now when i place the card in the camera, no card was detected. however the card is still okay on a PC. Tried it in my friend m4/3 and doesn't work as well. (some body can tell me what i can do with it, it is now a normal transfer card in my wallet :(... )

So I haven't taken out my SD card since even though I don't use a camera cover. My take is that if you have a cover...we all get lazy removing it....

LTZ470
LTZ470 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,926

I have used up several 32Gb and 16 Gb SD Cards that have fallen apart over time in my SD Card slots on my Sony Desktop and my Netbook...50,000 photo transfers...no problems yet...hate USB cables and only use when there is no other means...
--
FlickR Photostream:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/

koofle Junior Member • Posts: 47

I used to use cable, but found that my camera battery would drain quite quickly if I left it plugged in. These days I plug it into a card reader.

koofle's gear list:koofle's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-C3 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 6,202
Have used readers since since 2001...

Hundreds of thousands of photo transfers and not one issue to date with a rather large assortment of card/reader options.

-- hide signature --
JohnK Veteran Member • Posts: 7,021
SD card reader to transfer files

turnstyle wrote:

Just curious, do you use a USB cable or the SD card to transfer files?

Is one vs. the other "safer" for long-term use? ie, with concern about wearing out...

Easiest for me personally seems to be to use a card reader; unconcerned about wearing anything out, if something breaks, it gets fixed, personal experience with Sony service has been excellent, so no worries, just having fun taking pictures, like this, with Summaron 35/3.5 on NEX-5:

-- hide signature --

JohnK
Take a picture, it'll last longer.

JohnK's gear list:JohnK's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6300 Canon Pixma Pro-100
adi9 Contributing Member • Posts: 837

If you use cards up to 32 GB (SDHC) it does not really matter. If you have a new laptop with a fast reader build in it may be faster to copy the files from card than USB, if you use the reader.Some nwe cards have faster read speeds than what usualy get via USB cable.But if your reader is a USB one you get the sane speed ( or you need a USB 3.0 port an reader).

If you have SDXC cards (64 GB and higher) older readers may not support it, so you need to use the camera snd USB which acts as a mass storage device.

I personaly prefer to take the card out and use the reader.

BokehGlass New Member • Posts: 11

If you have a fast memory card, the bottleneck is USB 2.0 transfer speed. I use my USB 3.0 card reader to transfer to my desktop. I haven't done any A/B comparison but I notice is at least 2x faster with USB3.

cxsparc
cxsparc Veteran Member • Posts: 3,430
Re: SD card reader to transfer files

Some has to clean up that backyard

I use mostly the cable, sometimes the card reader of my dell monitor.

cxsparc's gear list:cxsparc's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads