Once again: Aperture "preparing (Null)" with plugins

Started Jan 22, 2012 | Discussions
noirdesir Forum Pro • Posts: 13,521
Once again: Aperture "preparing (Null)" with plugins

As already discussed for quite some time but without resolution (as we just had a small discussion about Aperture's stability):

When invoking a plugin, Aperture (3.x) sometimes shows a message 'preparing (Null)' instead of 'preparing actual file name ', and stays in that loop forever. Aperture is not completely frozen but the only way to get out of it is to quit it which results in message that Aperture has crashed, do you want to set a report to Apple, etc..

As discussed here, this happens with plugins from multiple vendors:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3027232?start=0&tstart=0
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1017&message=34751266

http://www.flickr.com/groups/niksoftware/discuss/72157625005234181/#comment72157626408201039

http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/aperture-3-crashes-on-a900-raw_topic77160_post886996.html#886996

It is not a 32 vs. 64 bit issue. I have just experienced it multiple times with a brand-new Nik Silver Efex Pro 2 installation on Aperture 3.2.1 on 10.7.2 on a mid-2009 MBP (ie, all 64-bit). In my case it just happened at maybe every fifth invocations of Silver Efex Pro (I have now 11 new Aperture crash reports).

Peter Rongsted Senior Member • Posts: 1,641
Re: Once again: Aperture "preparing (Null)" with plugins

noirdesir wrote:

It is not a 32 vs. 64 bit issue. I have just experienced it multiple times with a brand-new Nik Silver Efex Pro 2 installation on Aperture 3.2.1 on 10.7.2 on a mid-2009 MBP (ie, all 64-bit). In my case it just happened at maybe every fifth invocations of Silver Efex Pro (I have now 11 new Aperture crash reports).

I have not seen that problem on my installation neither on 10.6.8 nor 10.7.2.

And I'm sure its a typo, but if not you could try Aperture 3.2.2. I don't really think it will fix the issue but its worth a shot.

Peter

Peter Rongsted's gear list:Peter Rongsted's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon D70 Nikon D1X Nikon D700 Olympus E-500 +35 more
OP noirdesir Forum Pro • Posts: 13,521

Peter Rongsted wrote:

noirdesir wrote:

I have not seen that problem on my installation neither on 10.6.8 nor 10.7.2.
And I'm sure its a typo, but if not you could try Aperture 3.2.2.

Yes, this was a typo (or rather an imprecise recollection), I do have 3.2.2 installed.

I am not 100% certain but I strongly think to remember that this started with Aperture 3.0 and initially I thought my plugins would not be compatible with Aperture 3.

smason5 Regular Member • Posts: 397

I get this with the Photomatix plugin. If I want to put a single image through photomatix I often get this error. I find that if I click on the image first and try to drag it a fraction then it always works ok. So I use that as my workaround. (I'm on thelatest updates to Aperture and have had the problem for a while now).

Stuart

Najinsky Veteran Member • Posts: 5,739

noirdesir wrote:

As already discussed for quite some time but without resolution (as we just had a small discussion about Aperture's stability):

When invoking a plugin, Aperture (3.x) sometimes shows a message 'preparing (Null)' instead of 'preparing actual file name ', and stays in that loop forever. Aperture is not completely frozen but the only way to get out of it is to quit it which results in message that Aperture has crashed, do you want to set a report to Apple, etc..

That mostly happens when you have multiple versions of the master, and you send a secondary version to the plugin.

1) import a new master
2) create duplicate version
3) send the original to the plugin - works
4) send the duplicate version - error.

More generally it can also mean the master is unavailable.

-Najinsky

Najinsky wrote:

That mostly happens when you have multiple versions of the master, and you send a secondary version to the plugin.

You might be on to something. From my vague memory about when exactly this occurred, this seems to fit.

1) import a new master
2) create duplicate version
3) send the original to the plugin - works
4) send the duplicate version - error.

Note, that after Aperture had crashed and restarted, I can use the very same secondary version without any problems to create the tiff to send to the plugin.

More generally it can also mean the master is unavailable.

In terms of referenced masters, I can exclude this, I use a managed library. But Aperture somehow having trouble finding the master naturally would fit with the term 'Null'.

I have also wondered whether my (automatic) naming of the master files leads to problem because the name is too long or has to many non-letter characters in it, an example would be: _DSC8623*2011-09-17 * 20-15-14.NEF

martinimagery Regular Member • Posts: 193

I had this issue for a while using Nik Plug-ins but founda way to get around it. It would always occur whenever I duplicated a version before invoking the plugin.

To get around it, I simply do the following:

1) create the duplicate just like normal.

2.) before sending it to the plugin select the previous version (or any other picture will work).
3.) Now reselect the one you were going to send to the plugin and it works fine.

I believe the issus is a timing problem in that Aperture trys to send the new version to the plug-in before it's fully created. By selecting another photo and then back the selected one it forces the newly created version to be completed/rendered. I also think that is why other people don't see the problem as the time lag for occurance is much less on a new more powerful MAC; I'm using a '08 IMAC core-duo 2.4 machine for reference.

Give that a try and see if it helps.

regards,
Martin

martinimagery wrote:

I believe the issus is a timing problem in that Aperture trys to send the new version to the plug-in before it's fully created. By selecting another photo and then back the selected one it forces the newly created version to be completed/rendered. I also think that is why other people don't see the problem as the time lag for occurance is much less on a new more powerful MAC; I'm using a '08 IMAC core-duo 2.4 machine for reference.

I had suspected something along those lines, I am using a mid-2009 13" MBP (2.53 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Nvidia 9400M, OS + applications on a SSD, Aperture library on 7200 rpm HDD) usually connected to a 24" external monitor (which taxes the graphic card more).

But you know, when I use your workaround (or maybe just wait a few seconds), I cannot send Apple all these nice crash reports ;). Seriously, to me it seems crystal clear that this issue is common enough (given the right set of circumstances) and longstanding enough (since Aperture 3.0 at least I would say) that Apple must know about it. If this is not fixed in Aperture 4, one might start to wonder what their priorities are.

en792
en792 Contributing Member • Posts: 502

As the Don T who started the thread on Apple Discussions, I was pleased to find this on DPR. The solution I finally came up with is the same as Najinsky. I make a duplicate version, then use the plug-in on the first version, not the duplicate I just created.

Once in awhile I forget, and the part that's really annoying isn't restarting A3. It's losing my view settings with the Inspector on the right and split view with browser on the left.

I haven't the patience to test whether waiting longer for the duplicate resolves the problem.
--
http://donmacguy.smugmug.com/

en792's gear list:en792's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon 85mm F1.8G +7 more

en792 wrote:

The solution I finally came up with is the same as Najinsky. I make a duplicate version, then use the plug-in on the first version, not the duplicate I just created.

If you don't prepare the version upon which you apply the plugin specifically for the plugin, there is no need to create a separate version before calling a plugin, the act of calling a plugin already 'creates the new version' (though it is not actually a new version it is a new master which just shares all the metadata with the existing master).

When I call a plugin, I often prepare the version in Aperture somewhat (eg, for Silver Efex, I dial down the contrast a bit before sending it to the plugin) and thus I need a new version. To use this workaround, I would need to create two new version and just use the first new version (if the workaround works in this scenario).

But I'll experiment a bit more in Aperture to see what works and what not. Thanks to this thread, my somewhat subconscious hunch that I was not giving Aperture enough time before calling the plugin has now my full attention.

Jeff Roisman New Member • Posts: 18

Don't know if this is still relevant but the same google search that lead me to this forum also provided this Nik link which addresses what seems to be your questionand mine.

Title is Duplicate Fonts in Snow Leopard.

. http://www.niksoftware.com/support/usa/entry.php?view=faqs/general_answers.shtml

(multiple topics are addressed. you need to scroll down to get to the Duplicate Fonts entry which claims to solve the issue of Nik plug ins with Mac OS 10.6/

Haven't tried it yet, but looks promising.
Jeff

Birdman7
Birdman7 Senior Member • Posts: 1,058
Used to happen to me...........

....in previous versions of aperture (3.1) when manually creating a duplicate version of the file and then trying to edit via a plugin.

Make sure ur on the latest A3 version and the select the option In preferences to automatically create a duplicate when editting an image it shud work then.
See If that helps, good luck.

Birdman7's gear list:Birdman7's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads