Any downsides to Pana G1 w/14-45 lens?

Started Jan 22, 2012 | Discussions
OneGuy
OneGuy New Member • Posts: 13
Any downsides to Pana G1 w/14-45 lens?

I recently bought a new GF1 w/20mm pancake and am very happy with it. Now I have an opportunity to buy a new G1 (yes, the original m4/3) and in the four reviews I read there is nothing but prize for the cam.

Except that these reviews are three years old and do not include much of the real world experience. Before I buy the G1 I wonder if there is a downside to them.

Okay, this one is red (and that's okay), but if you had some bad or quirky things happen, please post.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jalywol
jalywol Forum Pro • Posts: 10,450
Re: Any downsides to Pana G1 w/14-45 lens?

It's a nice camera, but sensor technology has improved since it came out; also the viewfinder is a bit better in the more recent ones.

If you can get it and the 14-45mm lens for under $300, then go for it, since the 14-45mm goes new for about that (it goes used on Ebay for around $200).

More than that and I would look at newer M43s or just buy the lens separately if that is what you are looking for primarily...

-J

howardfuhrman Veteran Member • Posts: 4,137

I had a G1 and I upgraded to a G3. I gave the G1 to my daughter and she take wonderful photos of my grandson with the G1. I like the EVF and the articulating LCD. The 14-45 lens is very good. I added a 20 1.7 and an Olympus 45 1.8 to my G3. I prefer the primes, they are faster and smaller than the slower 14-45 zoom.

Good luck to you with your new camera.
--
Howard
http://www.photo.net/photos/howardfuhrman

s_grins
s_grins Forum Pro • Posts: 13,549

I have a G1 that came with kit lens 14-45. Up to now I do not see the reason to upgrade. The only disadvantage of the old camera is the lack of video. It is OK with me, maybe not so with you. My camera works flawlessly for 2.5 years, and I've found this camera fits in my hands perfectly.
Samples you can find in the gallery.
Decision is up to you.
Cheers
S.
--
I’m surprised how much Wikipedia contributes to the forum.

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Art Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S +3 more
kenw
kenw Veteran Member • Posts: 6,016
All about price...

Panasonic did an amazingly good job with their first m43 camera, the G1. If the lack of video is not a problem for you then you will find it an excellent camera.

The 14-45 is a wonderful lens, and I would in general recommend it over the 14-42. Nice thing about the G1 is it comes with the 14-45.

The G1 is an older body, has an older sensor, no touch screen, EVF not quite as nice as the newest cameras. None of those things is a flaw, all together they do make the newer cameras feel a bit more refined. One plus compared to more recent cameras, it will use the same battery as your GF1.

Again, assuming video is not an issue, I'd take a G1+14-45 over a G2+14-42 for the same price.

So really, it comes down to what price you are getting. As someone else pointed out, be sure to include the price of the 14-45. If it is a good deal I'd say go for it.

I certainly don't think you'll be disappointed if you like your GF1.
--
Ken W
See plan in profile for equipment list

kenw's gear list:kenw's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Panasonic ZS100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus E-M5 II +29 more
alex wetmore Senior Member • Posts: 1,394

OneGuy wrote:

I recently bought a new GF1 w/20mm pancake and am very happy with it. Now I have an opportunity to buy a new G1 (yes, the original m4/3) and in the four reviews I read there is nothing but prize for the cam.

Except that these reviews are three years old and do not include much of the real world experience. Before I buy the G1 I wonder if there is a downside to them.

Okay, this one is red (and that's okay), but if you had some bad or quirky things happen, please post.

Think of the G1 as your GF1 with the control wheel moved to the front, no video, but with a VFD. It is about the same size, has the same features, and uses the same batteries. I had both and preferred the G1, the VFD made up for the slightly larger profile.

It isn't until the GH2 and G3 that you really get into newer and better sensors with m4/3rds. I took a lot of great photos with my G1 and still use it when conditions may be rough.

snap
snap Veteran Member • Posts: 6,211

Like others have said - if its a good price including the original kit lens - definitely go for it. Despite its the first from Panasonic - the EVF is fantastic. And the lens has OIS on/off switch on the lens barrel - no need to control it via menu. If you are thinking of adding legacy manual focus lens via adapter - the EVF is great for focusing. Also, the Red body is a nice subdued burgundy dark red and not a screaming candy apple red like ones on Pextax DSLR. It will be a nice companion to your GF1 - carry both with different lens - but share the same battery.

Rick

snap's gear list:snap's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX700 Olympus XZ-1 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-S1 +48 more
Corkcampbell
Corkcampbell Forum Pro • Posts: 18,895
You are not getting anything you don't already have in the GF1

unless you really want that lens and it's cheap. I prefer primes on my m4/3 cameras (although I bought the new 45-175 yesterday) and have a almost never-used 14-45 on eBay now.

There have been a lot of advances since the G1 and, if you really want another body, wait until you find a good deal on a G3, or (the ultimate choice) wait until the GH3 is announced and find a good deal on a GH2.

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 III Leica C-Lux +8 more
kenw
kenw Veteran Member • Posts: 6,016
He's getting an EVF and articulating LCD and a 14-45 (nt)
-- hide signature --

Ken W
See plan in profile for equipment list

kenw's gear list:kenw's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Panasonic ZS100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus E-M5 II +29 more
Boris Moscow Contributing Member • Posts: 784
How about an EVF, articulated monitor, and a quite handy grip?

You probably wanted to say "in picture quality"?

-- hide signature --

'Life is something that happens to you while you're making other plans'.
M. Millar

OneGuy
OP OneGuy New Member • Posts: 13
Re: Any downsides to Pana G1 w/14-45 lens? Thanks for your feedback!

Great comments. Didn't know the batteries of GF1 and G1 are the same. I was ready to think about the downside and got new good ones instead.

Yes, nice burgundy.

So it's a go. The price here in Prague on this "last" kit is $325 (USD) and that includes 20% VAT and full 2-yr warranty.

"Good cams never die. They just slowly fade away..."

Gen. MacArthur paraphrased for peacetime.

Michael J Davis
Michael J Davis Veteran Member • Posts: 3,648
Still using mine to enter in International exhibitions!

OneGuy wrote:

... and in some cases, getting accepted!

I'd like the speedier focussing and lower noise with the new G3, but otherwise, I'd recommend it. The 14-45 lens is great (and apparently better than the 14-42) and with your 20mm an excellent camera. - It was the promise of the 20mm that made me go for it in the first place, had to wait 9 months, but I've been v happy.

Mike
--
Mike Davis
Photographing the public for over 50 years
http://www.flickr.com/photos/watchman

Michael J Davis's gear list:Michael J Davis's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +5 more
s_grins

OneGuy wrote:

.... The price here in Prague on this "last" kit is $325 (USD) and that includes 20% VAT and full 2-yr warranty.

Too good to be true
--

Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Art Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S +3 more
Michael Dodge Thomas Regular Member • Posts: 182

I still use a G1 daily.

Keep in mind: G1 has no video and is slower to focus than the G2/G3. However, if the performance of the older sensor is acceptable, you may actually prefer the G1/2 to the G3 because of the more extensive manual controls.

Also, G1s are dirt cheap used with the kit lens, and can almost be considered "disposable cameras" if you frequently use them (as I do) in ways or places where damage, loss or theft is possible or likely.

Anders W Forum Pro • Posts: 21,468
Re: All about price...

kenw wrote:

Panasonic did an amazingly good job with their first m43 camera, the G1. If the lack of video is not a problem for you then you will find it an excellent camera.

The 14-45 is a wonderful lens, and I would in general recommend it over the 14-42. Nice thing about the G1 is it comes with the 14-45.

The G1 is an older body, has an older sensor, no touch screen, EVF not quite as nice as the newest cameras. None of those things is a flaw, all together they do make the newer cameras feel a bit more refined. One plus compared to more recent cameras, it will use the same battery as your GF1.

Again, assuming video is not an issue, I'd take a G1+14-45 over a G2+14-42 for the same price.

So really, it comes down to what price you are getting. As someone else pointed out, be sure to include the price of the 14-45. If it is a good deal I'd say go for it.

I certainly don't think you'll be disappointed if you like your GF1.

+1

I bought a used G1 with 14-45 and 45-200 for about 400 euro (or 600 USD) half a year ago. A major reason I went for this deal was that I wanted the lenses, especially the 14-45, and this was a pretty inexpensive way of getting them. While I plan to upgrade the body in the not so distant future, I am happy shooting with the G1. The quirks I have found are rather minor and do not really bother me.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +28 more
OneGuy
OP OneGuy New Member • Posts: 13

Too short to be serious

s_grins

I'm kidding
--

Setter Dog Veteran Member • Posts: 5,768

I had the GH2 and was enjoying it. On impulse, I bought a G2 for "backup" and to keep from changing lenses in the field. It was $300 from B and H, body only. I love the camera. It has AVCHD lite which is beautiful. I find no problem at all with the IQ, focus, or anything else. I don't use the touch screen feature. For my purposes, the G2 is just as good a camera as the GH2,.....but others will have different opinions.

Ulfric M Douglas Veteran Member • Posts: 4,828

OneGuy wrote:

... Now I have an opportunity to buy a new G1 (yes, the original m4/3) and in the four reviews I read there is nothing but prize for the cam.

Okay, this one is red ...

I wanted a red one.
I have a black one ... great camera.
A downside : no video, If you want that kind of thing.
Other downsides ... nope, can't think of any.

I use my olympuses more because they have one function I use all the time and the G1 does not have that particular function ... nevermind.

G1 has good bracketing options, a good EVF, good multi-film-mode, good swiveltilt LCD, good useable surface texture, good shape for actually using the thing, good external controls.
Hey its not very good with the pop-up flash, bit inconsistent and harsh.
Not very good above 800 iso, later cameras deal with that stuff better.
Well' thats some stuff to think about.
Good kit lens 14-45

bobbarber Contributing Member • Posts: 786
The viewfinder freezes while the camera is writing to the card...

...and I don't mean this in any way as a dig at the camera. I own the G1 and 14-45, and shoot them all the time (yesterday I used them!).

I also own the G2, and the G2 is a little quicker at giving you the viewfinder back after taking a picture than the G1 is. Not a big deal to me, but that makes this combo not an action camera.

bobbarber's gear list:bobbarber's gear list
Kodak DX3500 Olympus C-5060 Wide Zoom Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Canon PowerShot SX230 HS +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads