Review of the J1 and V1 are up

Started Jan 20, 2012 | Discussions
Morpho Hunter Contributing Member • Posts: 672
Distortion correction maybe .... but even so, those DPR "compared to" images

of the Nikon 1 versus (for example) the Olympus EPL-1 .... reveal that the images produced by the former are inferior ..well ..err ....ok ..totally c* p.

Cheers

AndreasE Contributing Member • Posts: 909
Let it go ....

OleThorsen wrote:

Simon Joinson wrote:

We don't consider in-camera correction, in itself, to be as much of an issue as you evidently do. We care more about the end result.

That's because you don't use any M4/3 lenses for your studio scene comparisons and resolution tests for M4/3 camera reviews and which are used when comparing to other camera reviews, but only use the excellent 4/3 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm f2.0 Macro lens, which doesn't require any correction.

Ole,
let it go.

First. It is up to the DPR team to decide about the level of transparency they want to be measured upon. If potential customers need a 500$ lens to achieve the optical results interested people take as a baseline to compare systems (images in the comp tool) - they might get a surprise when the order the camera with the kit lens - or the price ratio between cameras should reflect the camera/lens combos as tested.

Second, you already have your camera - you are not in the evaluation phase anymore. Whatever the result of this or other reviews are, it would not change the fun, usage and results you get from yours. You know what you got. There is no merit trying to convice others- rather take the time and go shooting.

rgds,
Andy

CriticalI Senior Member • Posts: 1,777
Re: No in-camera correction of distortion in JPEG files a CON ?!?

Simon Joinson wrote:

OleThorsen wrote:

DPreview should commend the manufacturers for making optical healthy lenses not needing excessive distortion correction. What do DPreview do instead? They tells Nikon that they should do in-camera software distortion correction of their lenses by setting "No in-camera correction of distortion in JPEG files" as a CON.

We don't consider in-camera correction, in itself, to be as much of an issue as you evidently do. We care more about the end result.

Well maybe you are just completely wrong on this point? The effects of in-camera correction are destructive. If you don't notice the difference in the end result you are not looking very closely.

-- hide signature --

Simon Joinson, Editor
dpreview.com

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Steve

smallcams Veteran Member • Posts: 3,297
Which Nikon "Execs" said that ?

Wellington100 wrote:

Simon Joinson wrote:

Actually we were told specifically by several senior Nikon execs that the Nikon 1 system is 'not designed for the enthusiast market' (and, in as many words, that neither camera was aimed at the typical dpreview visitor).

The fact that the Nikon execs specifically stated the camera is not designed for the enthusiast market is a very odd statement and makes me somewhat suspicious that the marketers got their hooks into the project and weaved their own narrative around the camera post hoc.

"Several senior Nikon execs" ? I'm always suspicious when I hear talk like this.

Here's Rob Galbraith with a name: "During September's unveiling of the J1 and V1 in New York, Nikon USA senior technical manager Steve Heiner billed the system as being "designed for the ultimate balance of speed, portability and image quality."

Cheezr
Cheezr Senior Member • Posts: 1,178
Re: Fair Conclusion...

@nboyer

bingo! i too am awaiting the OM-D before making a final decision to reorg my camera equipment. I am hoping for the best...

CZR
--
Life is uncertain, eat dessert first.

Simon Joinson
Simon Joinson dpreview Admin • Posts: 5,019
Re: Which Nikon "Execs" said that ?

smallcams wrote:

Wellington100 wrote:

Simon Joinson wrote:

Actually we were told specifically by several senior Nikon execs that the Nikon 1 system is 'not designed for the enthusiast market' (and, in as many words, that neither camera was aimed at the typical dpreview visitor).

The fact that the Nikon execs specifically stated the camera is not designed for the enthusiast market is a very odd statement and makes me somewhat suspicious that the marketers got their hooks into the project and weaved their own narrative around the camera post hoc.

"Several senior Nikon execs" ? I'm always suspicious when I hear talk like this.

Here's Rob Galbraith with a name: "During September's unveiling of the J1 and V1 in New York, Nikon USA senior technical manager Steve Heiner billed the system as being "designed for the ultimate balance of speed, portability and image quality."

Yes, naturally, i am lying. Or maybe I was in a private meeting.
--
Simon Joinson, Editor
dpreview.com

Simon Joinson's gear list:Simon Joinson's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 20D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Nikon D750 +23 more
sandy b
sandy b Veteran Member • Posts: 9,334
C*p

Meaning what your full of?

sandy b's gear list:sandy b's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D7100 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II +10 more
kwtse Regular Member • Posts: 377
Re: I don't agree - I think DPR messed up

There is one remedy: shutter priority mode when using auto ISO under dim light situations.

But that is one more step. "Simple" users may not want to take this extra step. They may just want a fully automatic P&S. Aim and press the shutter button, that is it.

Another possibility is to have a feature of limiting the slowest shutter speed (say, 1/60 or higher) to certain value when Auto ISO is used. Then someone can help to set the value for "simple" users "once and for all".

R Butler wrote:

Actually, our concern is that the camera is likely to let down the camera buyer with simple needs. We tried to give credit for the AF system but in the point-and-shoot Auto modes, the camera makes some very odd shutter speed/ISO choices in anything less than good light.

kwtse Regular Member • Posts: 377
Re: @Richard Dpreview

I think that it is comparing apple with apples, orange with oranges.

The 90% given to S90 is for similar cameras only; otherwise the Nikon D4 would get well over 500%.

You gave the Canon S90 a 75%. My S90 now sits collecting dust. The J1 is a quantum leap above a S90.

sandy b
sandy b Veteran Member • Posts: 9,334
And yet

It will out sell handily any Fuji camera made. This is only the first salvo, this is a new Nikon mount, their will be many more models.

sandy b's gear list:sandy b's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D7100 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II +10 more
Wellington100 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,764
Re: Which Nikon "Execs" said that ?

smallcams wrote:

Wellington100 wrote:

Simon Joinson wrote:

Your quote illustrates very mixed messages coming out of Nikon and confirms my suspicions that a camera designed for the "ultimate balance of speed, portability and IQ" is a camera designed precisely for enthusiasts and not for novices.

Some of the most fun being had with the 1 right now is by 400, 500 and 600mm owners hooking up their lenses to the 1 and posting their results. On the ground, the facts about who uses this camera are very different to the official line and so the camera needs to be seen in that light by people considering buying it.
--
S100, S6500, S5, F300, F200, F70, F11, F31 (deceased), Z5, V10, D40, EX1

Wellington100's gear list:Wellington100's gear list
Ricoh GR Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Fujifilm X-T1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +15 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads