Hoya vs Kenko filters

Started Jan 17, 2012 | Discussions
Poncer New Member • Posts: 18
Hoya vs Kenko filters

I recently ordered a 77mm Hoya Ultra-Violet - UV High Quality Glass Filter. When I opened the box, what I found instead was a Kenko "high quality" digital UV filter, in a cheap plastic box. When I took the filter out, the sealing O ring was not even sealed correctly in the filter assembly.

I called the seller (Best Price Photo), explaining the situation. THey informed me that Hoya had been purchased by Kenko and that all Hoya filters are now made by Kenko. I said that what I ordered was clearly stated as a Hoya filter on their web site and even the order said it was a Hoya filter. They are investigating and having a customer service rep get back to me, but I'd like to be prepared for the conversation with accurate information, if anyone knows the status.

Please let me know if you know anything about this situation and also if I should accept the Kenko or perhaps cancel the order and go with a B&W filter. I own 7 canon lenses, 4 of them L's

Hank3152
Hank3152 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,499
Go with B+W

B+W filters, although pricier, are far superior to Hoyas with better Schott premium glass and brass mounts, besides being much easier to clean, one of Hoyas legacies.

I don't know where you're from but this reputable vendor has great prices and they aren't Chinese knockoffs.....

btw, make sure you order the MRC version, MultiResistantCoating........
http://www.2filter.com/
--
Regards,
Hank

Hank3152's gear list:Hank3152's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +5 more
photonius Veteran Member • Posts: 6,895
Re: Hoya vs Kenko filters

Poncer wrote:

I recently ordered a 77mm Hoya Ultra-Violet - UV High Quality Glass Filter. When I opened the box, what I found instead was a Kenko "high quality" digital UV filter, in a cheap plastic box. When I took the filter out, the sealing O ring was not even sealed correctly in the filter assembly.

I called the seller (Best Price Photo), explaining the situation. THey informed me that Hoya had been purchased by Kenko and that all Hoya filters are now made by Kenko. I said that what I ordered was clearly stated as a Hoya filter on their web site and even the order said it was a Hoya filter. They are investigating and having a customer service rep get back to me, but I'd like to be prepared for the conversation with accurate information, if anyone knows the status.

Please let me know if you know anything about this situation and also if I should accept the Kenko or perhaps cancel the order and go with a B&W filter. I own 7 canon lenses, 4 of them L's

What is the exact name of the filter? How does the box look?
Here is some info on filters.
http://photonius.wikispaces.com/Filters

In particular, there are also UV filter tests linked to by lenstip at the bottom.

I would not worry about whether there is a Hoya or Kenko label on the filter, they are not exactly the same company, though they have a joint distribution in the USA.
I would worry that it is a good multicoated one.

As far as I can see the Hoya is supposed to be a HMC. Anyway, the listings from that company are not very clear, the way the list the filters, the
58mm Hoya Ultra-Violet - UV High Quality Glass Filter
could be nothing more than a cheap Hoya Green filter, not coated at all.

Their picture on the other hand shows a Super HMC, which should be a very good filter, but which is it? The Kenko they could have sent you could be a cheaper one.

If you order B+W, again, make sure it's MRC, multicoated.

-- hide signature --

Life is short, time to zoom in ©

photonius's gear list:photonius's gear list
Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II
Steve Balcombe Forum Pro • Posts: 14,717

Poncer wrote:

I recently ordered a 77mm Hoya Ultra-Violet - UV High Quality Glass Filter. When I opened the box, what I found instead was a Kenko "high quality" digital UV filter, in a cheap plastic box.

Filter boxes. Why oh why can't they give us a decent box? Hoya are no better. The only manufacturer which uses sensible, useful boxes is B+W - they are so good that I've even seen the empty boxes for sale.

When I took the filter out, the sealing O ring was not even sealed correctly in the filter assembly.

Funnily enough the exact same thing happened to me with a Kenko filter shipped from HK. I just popped it back in and it's been fine.

I called the seller (Best Price Photo), explaining the situation. THey informed me that Hoya had been purchased by Kenko and that all Hoya filters are now made by Kenko.

Lots of information here:
http://www.thkphoto.com/
http://www.thkphoto.com/company/
http://www.thkphoto.com/company/parent/

I said that what I ordered was clearly stated as a Hoya filter on their web site and even the order said it was a Hoya filter. They are investigating and having a customer service rep get back to me, but I'd like to be prepared for the conversation with accurate information, if anyone knows the status.

Kenko filters are not Hoya filters.

Please let me know if you know anything about this situation and also if I should accept the Kenko

Depends which Hoya you had ordered. If it was a Pro1 Digital then the equivalent Kenko seems to be very similar. If it was Hoya HD then the Kenko Zeta filters seem to be equally good though with slightly different characteristics.

or perhaps cancel the order and go with a B&W filter.

B+W multicoated (MRC) filters are very good, but note that B+W does also make cheaper filters.

Steve Balcombe wrote:

Poncer wrote:

I recently ordered a 77mm Hoya Ultra-Violet - UV High Quality Glass Filter. When I opened the box, what I found instead was a Kenko "high quality" digital UV filter, in a cheap plastic box.

Filter boxes. Why oh why can't they give us a decent box? Hoya are no better. The only manufacturer which uses sensible, useful boxes is B+W - they are so good that I've even seen the empty boxes for sale.

When I took the filter out, the sealing O ring was not even sealed correctly in the filter assembly.

Funnily enough the exact same thing happened to me with a Kenko filter shipped from HK. I just popped it back in and it's been fine.

there's a pattern here... I forgot to mention, that happened to one of mine too (a kenko digital pro1), I popped it in, fine.

-- hide signature --

Life is short, time to zoom in ©

d2d Regular Member • Posts: 190
Go with B+W

Hank3152 wrote:

B+W filters btw, make sure you order the MRC version, MultiResistantCoating........
http://www.2filter.com/

+1

cloudnine New Member • Posts: 6

Please see below the response from Hoya to my inquiry:

"Kenko Tokina and HOYA are two independent companies. HOYA licenses its brand to Kenko Tokina for camera filters being distributed outside Japan. Product planning and packaging are handled by Kenko Tokina. We hope this explains the reason why these filters are similar"

Please see below the response from KENKO  to my inquiry:

"The founder of two companies(KENKO Tokina Co., Ltd and HOYA) is the same.
KENKO had transferred the manufacturing license of HOYA filters .
KENKO Tokina Co., Ltd manufacture HOYA filters under license.
The quality of KENKO filters and HOYA filters is different.
KENKO Tokina Co., Ltd is manufactured in the quality of HOYA"

cloudnine wrote:

Please see below the response from Hoya to my inquiry:

"Kenko Tokina and HOYA are two independent companies. HOYA licenses its brand to Kenko Tokina for camera filters being distributed outside Japan. Product planning and packaging are handled by Kenko Tokina. We hope this explains the reason why these filters are similar"

Please see below the response from KENKO to my inquiry:

"The founder of two companies(KENKO Tokina Co., Ltd and HOYA) is the same.
KENKO had transferred the manufacturing license of HOYA filters .
KENKO Tokina Co., Ltd manufacture HOYA filters under license.
The quality of KENKO filters and HOYA filters is different.
KENKO Tokina Co., Ltd is manufactured in the quality of HOYA"

Leaves one to wonder if they themselves know what they produce....

-- hide signature --

*** Life is short, time to zoom in *** ©

BozillaNZ Regular Member • Posts: 346

The seller is definitely trying to scam you into buying a fake product. Hoya is Hoya, Kenko is Kenko, they might be connected in the business side, but their products are sure as hell completely different things.

BozillaNZ's gear list:BozillaNZ's gear list
Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads