Sensor problem? D80

Started Jan 17, 2012 | Discussions
Ray Jeffery Regular Member • Posts: 493
Sensor problem? D80

The photograph below, it is a cro shows problems we are having with a D80, the sensor has been cleaned professionally. The dots appear aproximately central to the image, have tried different lenses filters etc.

Has anyone any ideas as to what the problem is? Faulty sensor maybe

-- hide signature --
Nikon D80
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
MalbikEndar Regular Member • Posts: 216
Re: Sensor problem? D80

I would suspect that it has not been cleaned professionally enough.

OP Ray Jeffery Regular Member • Posts: 493

Hi They are supposed to be the best in the South of England!!

-- hide signature --
Patco Forum Pro • Posts: 14,136

Ray Jeffery wrote:

The photograph below, it is a cro shows problems we are having with a D80, the sensor has been cleaned professionally. The dots appear aproximately central to the image, have tried different lenses filters etc.

Has anyone any ideas as to what the problem is? Faulty sensor maybe

Looks like whoever cleaned the sensor sneezed on it
What did it look like before the cleaning?

-- hide signature --

Patco
A photograph is more than a bunch of pixels

The cleaning was effective, all the other marks have gone, see location on picture below.

-- hide signature --
nfpotter Veteran Member • Posts: 4,080

That looks like pollen, maybe.

I'd suggest learning to do wet cleanings yourself. It's SUPER easy! And will save you a bunch of money in the long run.

blue_cheese
blue_cheese Senior Member • Posts: 1,880

+1 that was my first thought

Way to circular to be a scratch and way too spot specific to be somethng from over time. It looks like it was sprayed on/sneezed at and then not cleaned.

Thanks for comments, could it be sun damage, however it looks to irregular for that. Have tried cleaning ourselves to remove then gave up, we used the eclipse and sensor swabs.
--
Raymond

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rpjbexhill/

Deleted1929 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,050

I agree you should try a wet clean yourself. It's not as difficult as it sounds.

Here's a useful page on cleaning :

http://www.bythom.com/cleaning.htm

Judging form the very specific location I'd guess that the people who cleaned it did clean the border of the sensor but forgot the central portion or made a mistake when doing that part.

-- hide signature --

StephenG

TFergus
TFergus Veteran Member • Posts: 6,188

I agree, it's either:

a) an overlooked area that needed cleaning.

b) overspray from a sneeze

c) a cluster of UFO's which means the National Enquirer would pay good money for it.

capanikon
capanikon Senior Member • Posts: 2,089

Perhaps it's mold or something growing on the --reverse-- side of the clear sensor cover thingy?

capanikon's gear list:capanikon's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +4 more
Photonshooter Junior Member • Posts: 39

I would be willing to bet the "professionals" cleaning your sensor do not change out their solvent very often.

I work with optical systems for a living and to me that looks like a hydroscopic solvent absorbed water from being left open to long and then deposited water spots when it evaporated.

Look Left New Member • Posts: 5

So glad I found this forum post, I have exactly the same problem with the sensor on my D40X which is identical to the D80 sensor.

These spots are only really visible when shooting in high light conditions with small aperture and I have included a couple of cropped examples here shot with different lenses, but both shot at f25.

This sensor has just been cleaned professionally - Twice in fact, because of this problem. Upon picking up the camera the second time I had a long chat with the technician who showed the sensor to me through a sensorscope. He had never seen anything like it and says the spots appear to be under the protective glass on the sensor, they are not on the sensor glass itself which is absolutely spotlessly clean.

The spots appear to occupy an area of the sensor about the same size as your and they appear in exactly the same position. This seems far too unlikely to be a coincidence.

ADeighty Regular Member • Posts: 179

I too had the same problem on my D80. I had the camera for about 3 years and did my own wet cleanings with no problems. Then one day...dots and in a pattern very simular to yours. After many trys at cleaning with only minimal effect, I bought a D90. I was able to reduce the size of the dots about 50% so I'm sure mine were on the front of the AA filter. If you have any success in getting rid of the spots please post as my granddaughter has the D80 now and I could still clean it for her.

ADeighty's gear list:ADeighty's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 (IF) DX Epson Stylus Photo R2880 +1 more

So that's three of us with exactly the same problem with the same sensor. I wonder how many other people have had the same issue? All of these cameras are out of warranty now so I doubt there would be any recourse from Nikon but maybe it's worth raising this issue with them?

I am particularly frustrated by this as I was planning on selling my D40X next month to help pay for my new D7000, I can't possibly sell this camera in good faith now, even though it is otherwise in mint condition.

ZorSy Veteran Member • Posts: 3,482

Hi,

I followed this tread as I still use my D80 (30+K clicks) - despite having 4 lense in rotation, often swapped on the windy beaches and other places far from being dust/polution free, the only thing I had to do in the first 4 years of owning it was a rocket-blower. No nasty dirt on AA ever, dust yes, but can't say a lot really.

My first and the only clean was done by Nikon (OEM) service along adjustments and have to say I do not have any issues with the sensor.

But all posters here, experiencing the same "spotting", have used wet cleaning in the past (either own or professionaly done), which is the link. Wonder if this has caused some sort of spot fungus ("normal" one looks diffenet, I know) or have somehow created "condensation" under the AA filter, boosted by the pressure applied during clean process when the filter flexed down more in the middle than on the corners? Don't know, until somebody actually takes ti to the real Nikon service for evaluation. Nevertheless, it steers me away from an idea of "spotless" sensor - few dust bunnies are nothing compared to this.

all the best

ZorSy's gear list:ZorSy's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D7100

I think the spots on my sensor are multiplying. Here is a shot I took this afternoon, I have not cropped this shot.

Interesting train of thought, but to be clear, these spots appeared on my sensor prior to it being cleaned, this is why I had the sensor cleaned in the first place.

The appearance of these spots on my sensor are therefore not linked to sensor cleaning, wet or otherwise.

goosel
goosel Senior Member • Posts: 1,876

looks like mold to me. I've seen very similar patterns on slides just as mold starts to get em...

And here is the same shot, this time shot with a wider aperture, as you can see no visible spots. I very rarely shoot with a really small aperture as per my previous example shots, so I wonder how long my sensor had been like this before I noticed? In fact, I wonder how many other people have the same problem and simply haven't noticed?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads