More Peak District sunrises with the E5

Started Jan 15, 2012 | Discussions
g0wex Senior Member • Posts: 1,174
More Peak District sunrises with the E5

The Peak District has had very little snow this winter (so far!) but I've tried to make the most of the winter sunrises which are so much easier when you don't have to get up at silly o'clock like you do in the summer months.
These were taken during the last couple of weeks using my E5 and the 12-60

Higger Tor..the pre-sunrise light was amazing for my first shot as the vivid light was reflected across frozen peat puddles (5sec f8 @ 12mm 0.9 reverse ND grad)

pre-sunrise shot over frozen peat puddles catching the cool dawn light breaking over the Peak District (3.2sec f8 @ 12mm 0.9 reverse ND grad)

After shooting the frozen puddles I moved round to catch the sun rising over Carl Wark and the side lit lightly frosted rocks on Higger Tor (1/6s f8 @ 12mm 0.9 reverse ND grad)

this picks out a little more frost in the foreground rocks as the sun fills the Burbage valley highlighting Carl Wark and the distant hills. (1/5s f7.1 @ 12mm 0.9 reverse ND grad)

1/4s f7.1 @ 12mm 0.9 reverse ND grad filter

1/6s f7.1 @ 12mm 0.9 reverse ND grad

1/10s f7.1 @ 12mm 0.9 reverse ND grad

A cracking start to the day on Friday morning with a lung busting climb in the dark up to High Neb the highest point on Stanage, my first shot was taken a good 50 minutes before sunrise as the first light of the day emerged slowly over the landscape (50secs f8 @ 12mm 0.9 reverse ND grad filter)

taken about 15 minutes after my last shot and still 30 minutes before the sun showed itself with some lovely colour gradually building up, I really like the small pool of light under the foreground rock (8sec f8 @ 12mm 0.9 reverse ND grad filter)

This was taken just before the sun broke the horizon over High Neb on Friday morning the light becomes more golden as it floods over the rocks and landscape (5secs f8 @ 12mm 0.9 reverse ND grad filter)

and the sun finally broke the horizon

the rising sun reflects over the top of a frozen puddle

I'm finding the E5 12-60 combo with the 0.9 reverse ND grad filter a real delight for landscape photography, I do quite a few lectures to various photographic clubs and societies and other photographers often ask what equipment I'm using and are genuinely surprised when I say that I use Olympus gear, I then usually reply 'yeah just think what you could do with a proper camera!'

Thanks for taking the time to look

Cheers Steve

g0wex's gear list:g0wex's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +4 more
Olympus E-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
neil1c2000 Regular Member • Posts: 198
Re: More Peak District sunrises with the E5

Beautiful shots, Steve. A lot of work involved in these, just getting to the right spot at the right time. Well done.
--
Neil C

daddyo Forum Pro • Posts: 12,670
Very nice steve!

These are really excellent -- sharp, great colors, and nice compositions. Well done -- as usual!

Thanks for sharing.

God Bless,
Greg
http://www.imagismphotos.com
http://www.mccroskery.zenfolio.com
http://www.pbase.com/daddyo

daddyo's gear list:daddyo's gear list
Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
tbranscombe
tbranscombe Regular Member • Posts: 176

Another excellent advert for Peak District photo tourism, Steve. Very nicely done. You should be collecting a sizable commission for this public service!

-- hide signature --

Terry

tbranscombe's gear list:tbranscombe's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus Stylus Tough TG-850 iHS Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +22 more
Sergey_Green
Sergey_Green Forum Pro • Posts: 10,987
Always liked your images ..

Are those colors from the sunrise, or did you apply some pp/filtering to it? They look good.

-- hide signature --

- sergey

Raist3d Forum Pro • Posts: 36,751
Very nice...

I don't like all the images and the more "HDR" the less I like but there's at least two I like quite a bit. Thanks for sharing them.

Are you doing a single shot or multiple bracketed exposures? Thanks again.

Update: like the fact you used an ND grad filter.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- "You are taking life too seriously if it bugs you in some way that a guy quotes himself in the .sig quote" - Ricardo

J4Hug Senior Member • Posts: 1,209
Interesting effect with reverse ND grad

Great images as usual and well worth the lung-busting trek to get them. Thanks for posting.

I really like the effect of using that filter rather than a normal ND grad, however looking at pictures of the filter (I don't have one ... yet) it looks as if you are very dependent upon a straight (bright) horizon. I imagine it is harder to use than a normal ND grad
--
Jerry
http://agbr.smugmug.com

J4Hug's gear list:J4Hug's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 300mm 1:2.8 +11 more
Gheghevic
Gheghevic Regular Member • Posts: 490
I like a lot your set!!

Nicely done!! I like the soft colours and the "magic athmosphere" you get at dawn!

Gheghevic's gear list:Gheghevic's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +8 more
ROC124 Contributing Member • Posts: 784
Beautiful work! (nt)
-- hide signature --
 ROC124's gear list:ROC124's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +7 more
Phill D Regular Member • Posts: 254
Re: Beautiful work! (nt)

More stunning shots Steve well done. Great to view.
--
Phill D

johnarvee Contributing Member • Posts: 699
Great work!

Thanks for posting, marvelous.
--
Cheers,
John Arvee
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/johnarvee/popular-interesting/

Linnin Regular Member • Posts: 139

Hey Steve! Thanks for waking up so early to take stunning photos of a part of this planet that I will never be able to visit. I enjoyed them immensely.

Linnin's gear list:Linnin's gear list
Olympus TG-5
OP g0wex Senior Member • Posts: 1,174

tbranscombe wrote:

Another excellent advert for Peak District photo tourism, Steve. Very nicely done. You should be collecting a sizable commission for this public service!

-- hide signature --

Terry

Thanks Terry

Funny you should say that, I'm actually one of the Destination Photography partners for 'Visit Peak District' the official tourist website

http://www.visitpeakdistrict.com/photography/destination-photography-partners.aspx

Cheers Steve

Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +4 more
Re: Always liked your images ..

Sergey_Green wrote:

Are those colors from the sunrise, or did you apply some pp/filtering to it? They look good.

-- hide signature --

- sergey

Thanks Sergey

The colours were pretty much as seen and using the reverse ND grad helps to make the images pop, I do also increase the vibrance setting to around 15 in ACR (rather than increasing the saturation) which will boost the colour slightly as well

Cheers Steve
--

http://www.stephenelliottphotography.co.uk

Re: Very nice...

Raist3d wrote:

I don't like all the images and the more "HDR" the less I like but there's at least two I like quite a bit. Thanks for sharing them.

Are you doing a single shot or multiple bracketed exposures? Thanks again.

Thanks for your comments Ricardo

I Mainly shoot single shot images, occasionally I will take 2 exposures (for sky and landscape) and blend them in PS, but using the reverse ND grad saves a lot of PP work, but I will still do 2 RAW conversions of the single file to maximise the tonal range

Update: like the fact you used an ND grad filter.

Grads will make all the difference

Cheers Steve

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- "You are taking life too seriously if it bugs you in some way that a guy quotes himself in the .sig quote" - Ricardo

Re: Interesting effect with reverse ND grad

J4Hug wrote:

Great images as usual and well worth the lung-busting trek to get them. Thanks for posting.

I really like the effect of using that filter rather than a normal ND grad, however looking at pictures of the filter (I don't have one ... yet) it looks as if you are very dependent upon a straight (bright) horizon. I imagine it is harder to use than a normal ND grad
--
Jerry

Thanks Jerry

You do have to be a little careful when using the reverse grad but as they have a hard transition it is very easy to position the filter and using 'live view' also helps to judge the effect, there can be some darkening of objects covered by the dense portion but it doesn't take too much work the lighten it again in PS, the fact that you use the filter when the sun is just breaking the horizon makes this area lighter anyway, if you take this into consideration when composing your shot you shouldn't have a problem, I'm finding this filter an absolute joy to use, it makes shooting sunrises and sunsets a breeze

Cheers Steve

Many thanks for all your comments much apreciated

Steve
--

http://www.stephenelliottphotography.co.uk

J4Hug Senior Member • Posts: 1,209

Thanks Steve,
I think I'll give one a go...

-- hide signature --
 J4Hug's gear list:J4Hug's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 300mm 1:2.8 +11 more
koiman Regular Member • Posts: 480

Thanks for the info about these. I ordered some and they arrived yesterday.
Looking forward to trying them out on my next trip to Scotland.

Steve
--
http://www.SteveRoughleyPhotography.com

Mitya Junior Member • Posts: 36

Beautiful, inspiring work! And now I know what is reverse ND grad filter.
Thank you, professor!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads