Canon G1 X without an OVF mockup

Started Jan 15, 2012 | Discussions
exp1orer
exp1orer Senior Member • Posts: 2,813
Re: i like it

well, you can buy the G1 X when they are available....but for us who don't need and OVF or EVF, we are requesting canon to make a 'variant' for us.

tombell1 wrote:

I havwe a Lumix LX5 great camera but truth to tell I hate not having a OVF or reasonable EVF .. stupid but there it is ... So for me its either a small Fuji with good one + small sensor or G1X .. wait and see
--
Tom Bell
Dartmoor
Devon

http://flickr.com/photos/tombell1

-- hide signature --
Cipher Senior Member • Posts: 2,643
Why?...and it won't work...

since there's no place for the pop-up flash to retract into the body. Even if they managed to get rid of the OVF, what are you really buying? It's not like you can fit it in a pocket either way. The G1X is .66 inches thicker than the G12 because of the lens. Also sticking it in your pocket (if you could) is just asking for trouble. If anything hits the power button, it'll try to extend the lens...and we all know what happens to Canons...

OP shaocaholica Contributing Member • Posts: 841
Re: Why?...and it won't work...

Cipher wrote:

since there's no place for the pop-up flash to retract into the body. Even if they managed to get rid of the OVF, what are you really buying?

No place? See the pop-up flash designs of the Canon S9X/S100, Sony Nex-7, Panasonic GX1, Olympus PEN, etc. All those cameras have as much space or even less in the top shell than the mockup in this thread.

Harold66
Harold66 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,324
Re: Canon G1 X without an OVF mockup

cs hauser wrote:

shaocaholica wrote:

I was curious to see what the G1 X would look like without the OVF so I did this quick mockup. I also reclaimed some height from removing the OVF.

The G1X height accommodated not only an OVF but also a pop-up flash. By reducing the height of the G1X, you would lose both the OVF and the pop-up flash.

Hello

you are right but there are lots of us who may agree that such a tiny flash on a camera is useless. I usually like OVF but the one from The G series is not that great

I think if the G1X had a very high end external AVF , it would sell more because of the variable LCD and EVF

Harold

Harold66's gear list:Harold66's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital IV Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Ricoh GR Ricoh GR II +22 more
whtchocla7e Contributing Member • Posts: 928
Re: i like it

exp1orer wrote:

but for us who don't need and OVF or EVF, we are requesting canon to make a 'variant' for us.

And how many of you are there?
Six?

latent Regular Member • Posts: 396

I am disappointed that Canon have not really improved the small optical viewfinder. It lets down what is a great specification camera. I have a G10 and the viewfinder is one thing I really wanted an improvement on

OP shaocaholica Contributing Member • Posts: 841

Clearly the OVF in the G series could be better. I'm surprised not many people want it are bugged by that.

DrummerCT Regular Member • Posts: 371

Why not a fantastic built-in OLED viewfinder instead (am thinking about, e.g., the Sony A65 for instance) - I think this might cost less than trying to perfect an optical viewfinder with its parallax and the lens-partially-blocking-view at certain zoom point issues. I'd also prefer the OLED viewfinder to be built in and not be an external costly gizmo that would require using the hot shoe. The G1 X seems sized up enough that a decent capacity flash would feel pretty balanced on it.

I'm not convinced a great optical viewfinder is possible for the G1 X... how would this work technically - and how close to 100% accuracy could be achieved across the zoom range??? I'm not saying it's impossible (or is it?) but I'd guess it would really crank up the price and for many the cost/benefit ratio would be out of whack.

I do often prefer looking through a viewfinder to shoot (I think it connects me more to the scene and is generally steadier)... so I do understand and appreciate the "want to have" piece!

DrummerCT's gear list:DrummerCT's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Canon PowerShot G12 Canon ELPH 130 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony SLT-A57 +38 more
Rod McD Veteran Member • Posts: 6,358
Re: Agree - a top quality built in EVF better.

Yes, I agree. I doubt that an accurate zooming OVF with data would be feasible - possibly at all and certainly for the G series at a price Average Joe would pay. I'd much rather have a top quality built in EVF than a mediocre OVF. Plus you get all the data and playback. BUT it has to be better than the average EVF out there now. The non-tearing 2.4mpx Sony NEX7 EVF seems to be leading the way. I would never buy a camera with an expensive add on EVF that can be lost, forgotten or knocked off and blocks the flash shoe. POOR idea!

Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Olympus Tough TG-4 Fujifilm X-T1 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +10 more
DrummerCT Regular Member • Posts: 371
Re: Agree - a top quality built in EVF better.

Rod - We're on the same page!

Hey, Canon.... please, pay attention here!!!

DrummerCT's gear list:DrummerCT's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Canon PowerShot G12 Canon ELPH 130 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony SLT-A57 +38 more
André BARELIER
André BARELIER Veteran Member • Posts: 8,962
+1 (nt)

Rod McD wrote:

Yes, I agree. I doubt that an accurate zooming OVF with data would be feasible - possibly at all and certainly for the G series at a price Average Joe would pay. I'd much rather have a top quality built in EVF than a mediocre OVF. Plus you get all the data and playback. BUT it has to be better than the average EVF out there now. The non-tearing 2.4mpx Sony NEX7 EVF seems to be leading the way. I would never buy a camera with an expensive add on EVF that can be lost, forgotten or knocked off and blocks the flash shoe. POOR idea!

Rod

André BARELIER's gear list:André BARELIER's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Nikon D3300 Nikon 1 J5 +8 more
Marco Nero
Marco Nero Veteran Member • Posts: 5,682
Optical Viewfiders - why?

I haven't used an optical viewfinder in nearly 10 years.
They should be abandoned on all digital compacts.
I can't, for the life of me, wonder why anyone wants to cling to them today.

Using an optical viewfinder gives you no other advantage other than being able to frame the picture correctly without using the LCD. If you can't frame a picture using the LCD, you probably should buy a DLSR.

By the way, nice mockup.

-- hide signature --
 Marco Nero's gear list:Marco Nero's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M +16 more
binauralbeats Forum Member • Posts: 73
Re: Optical Viewfiders - why?

My understanding is that it's all old people with bad eyesight. The OVF in my G9 is horrible and I can't imagine having to rely on it. Plus, with the LCD (or EVF) I have a good idea right away if the image is in focus. Can't assume anything using the OVF.

MoreorLess Veteran Member • Posts: 4,577
Travel/Street Market?

Marco Nero wrote:

I haven't used an optical viewfinder in nearly 10 years.

Using an optical viewfinder gives you no other advantage other than being able to frame the picture correctly without using the LCD. If you can't frame a picture using the LCD, you probably should buy a DLSR.

To me the G series always seemed like it was aimed at the travel/street market, in those situations you often find that lighting condictions make using the back screen very difficult.

Thats what I always assumed the OVF on the G series was, a useble backup for people who generally preffer the back screen rather than the primary shooting tool.

filibuster
filibuster Veteran Member • Posts: 3,806

Marco Nero wrote:

Because with an optical viewfinder one can pan and shoot fast moving subjects in continuous shooting mode. An LCD blanks out with the first shot and you’ve lost your subject whilst the image is being written to the card. Useless for this kind of photography.
Quote hhgttg: Life is wasted on the living.
filibuster (Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, UK)
http://picasaweb.google.com/scenic.filibuster

KEG
KEG Senior Member • Posts: 2,747

The fact that holding the camera up to your eye makes it more stable means nothing?

-- hide signature --

KEG

KEG's gear list:KEG's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EOS M3 Canon EOS M6 Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +12 more
filibuster
filibuster Veteran Member • Posts: 3,806

KEG wrote:

The fact that holding the camera up to your eye makes it more stable means nothing?

Not if you hold the camera as I typically do; taking advantage of the articulated LCD and have the camera bedded against the body at waist level for tripod-like stability.
That’s of course when I can find my waistline

-- hide signature --

Quote hhgttg: Life is wasted on the living.
filibuster (Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, UK)
http://picasaweb.google.com/scenic.filibuster

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads