Epson R3000 cleaning

Started Jan 14, 2012 | Discussions
Kurt Sonderegger Contributing Member • Posts: 547
Epson R3000 cleaning

Has anyone tried cleaning the capping station and wiper blade on the R3000?

I can't figure out how to get the head to move away from the capping station. I unplugged the machine while it was turned on and tried to move the head by pulling gently on it but it seems locked in place and I don't want to damage anything.

Since their is no "ink replacement" button to move the head, I'm at a loss and any help would be appreciated.

Kurt

Kurt Sonderegger's gear list:Kurt Sonderegger's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 700D Sony a7R II
Petruska Veteran Member • Posts: 9,083
Interesting that there's no ink replacement button.

Bob P.

jtoolman
jtoolman Veteran Member • Posts: 6,812
Re: Epson R3000 cleaning

I am just guessing as I do not own a R3000 but I think you have to unplug it right after you power up, as the head does it's initial dance. If you wait too long it will be too late.

Phil Hill Senior Member • Posts: 2,757
Re: Interesting that there's no ink replacement button.

The cartridges are located away from the print head, so there’s no need for it to move when replacing a cartridge.

Phil Hill's gear list:Phil Hill's gear list
Sigma 40mm F1.4 DG HSM +1 more
Correct!

Bob P.

bladerunneruk Senior Member • Posts: 1,162

Kurt Sonderegger wrote:

Has anyone tried cleaning the capping station and wiper blade on the R3000?

I can't figure out how to get the head to move away from the capping station. I unplugged the machine while it was turned on and tried to move the head by pulling gently on it but it seems locked in place and I don't want to damage anything.

Since their is no "ink replacement" button to move the head, I'm at a loss and any help would be appreciated.

Kurt

Hi Kurt

recently bought an R3000, and just started investigation how to maintain it, not tried any cleaning yet myself, but is this link any use, I know it's for and R1400 so some sections may not be relevant ? : http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.362672/it.I/id.222/.f

Interested to hear how you get on

cheers

-- hide signature --

current pet hate : 'I would of ...'

You don't say 'I of been to work' do you ???

It's 'I would've ...' or ' I would have ...'

Pentax SLR talk FAQ (courtesy Cideway et al)
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=23161072

When the search feature isn't working here, go to Google, and type the following:
site:forums.dpreview.com your search string
OR for pentax SLR site:dpreview.com forum=1036 your search string

Re: Interesting that there's no ink replacement button.

Phil Hill wrote:

The cartridges are located away from the print head, so there’s no need for it to move when replacing a cartridge.

for HP B9180 - there was a "cleaning the NEDD" facility to aid maintenance, is there an epson equivalent ?
--

When the search feature isn't working here, go to Google, and type the following:

OP Kurt Sonderegger Contributing Member • Posts: 547

jtoolman wrote:

I am just guessing as I do not own a R3000 but I think you have to unplug it right after you power up, as the head does it's initial dance. If you wait too long it will be too late.

I think you are right about that. Since there is no need for an ink change button, unplugging it during some normal printer function seems like the only way to do it. I'll try it tomorrow and report back. It's brand new and really doesn't need any cleaning yet but I'm just curious how to go about it in the future.

Kurt

bladerunneruk wrote:

recently bought an R3000, and just started investigation how to maintain it, not tried any cleaning yet myself, but is this link any use, I know it's for and R1400 so some sections may not be relevant ? : http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.362672/it.I/id.222/.f

Thanks bladerunneruk. That is the very video that got me started on this cleaning thing and then I discovered that simply unplugging the printer doesn't release the head from the capping station. If jtoolman (see his post above) is correct, we'll have to unplug it during it's little dance at startup. Then I think following the steps in the video will work fine.

Thanks to all and I'll try to report back tomorrow.

Kurt

Report on Epson R3000 cleaning

jtoolman wrote:

This morning I did what jtoolman suggested and unplugged during power up as soon as the head had moved away from the capping station.

There was no problem moving the head slowly by hand toward the left-hand side of the printer to expose the capping station.

The capping station is easily cleaned with Q-Tips soaked in PiezoFlush cleaning solution from InkJetMall.com or I suspect distilled water would work fine too. It's kind of a reach to get in there with a Q-Tip so I gripped them in a long hemostat I happened to have. With smaller hands than mine a hemostat wouldn't be necessary.

If you watch this video http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.362672/it.I/id.222/.f you will see how to clean the wiper blade too. It has to be flipped up (I used the tip of the hemostat) from the bottom toward the top of the printer so that it is exposed for cleaning. After cleaning, I closed it back to its original position. The video really doesn't say whether or not this is necessary but I think it's a good idea.

After everything was clean I plugged the printer back in and turned it on. It went through a rather lengthy (maybe 2 minutes or so) dance where it appeared to be doing a head cleaning. I could see a fair amount of ink coming out into my waste ink tank. I think it also had to recalibrate the head position since I had moved it by hand. There is a small label inside the printer on the left-hand end with what appears to be a bar code on it and the print head ran back and forth over that area several times. I'm not sure if the label is used for calibration or not.

Eventually it stopped dancing and gave me the OK message on the LCD display. I printed a nozzle check and a couple of 8.5x11 prints and all appears to be well. I wouldn't recommend doing this too often since it does appear to use some ink and isn't really sanctioned by Epson that I know of. If you do a lot of borderless printing you will probably need to do it more often.

Kurt

Re: Report on Epson R3000 cleaning

Hi Kurt

thanks for the report, very helpful, did you find the capping station / wiper blade area on the R3000 looks similar to the one in the video (a R1400 I think) ?

also may I enquire how dirty you found it to be, and if it seems to tie up with how old your R3000 is and how much printing you've done, i.e. any clue if it takes a long time to get dirty or if it stays quite clean given a lot of use ? Just wondering if it might give us a clue as to how often to clean it

thanks again
Richard

-- hide signature --

Re: Report on Epson R3000 cleaning

bladerunneruk wrote:

thanks for the report, very helpful, did you find the capping station / wiper blade area on the R3000 looks similar to the one in the video (a R1400 I think) ?

Yes, the capping station looks very similar as does the wiper blade. You won't have any trouble identifying them.

also may I enquire how dirty you found it to be, and if it seems to tie up with how old your R3000 is and how much printing you've done, i.e. any clue if it takes a long time to get dirty or if it stays quite clean given a lot of use ? Just wondering if it might give us a clue as to how often to clean it

I've printed about 75 8.5 by 11 size prints since getting my R3000. I've replaced 3 of the cartridges and another 4 are about ready to be changed, so that's how much ink I've gone through. My capping station looked very clean and didn't need cleaning at all. Same with the wiper blade. I don't expect to need to clean for a long time to come. Like I said before, if you print borderless a lot you will probably need to clean more often.

I love this printer!

Kurt

It's not how clean it looks....

the capping station sponges get a lot of dried ink on them from the normal purging of the inks at startup. This dried ink then gets transferred to the print head nozzles when they are parked there when off, in turn the wiper blade smears the dried ink into into the nozzle holes creating some nagging blocked nozzles. This is also the case when you have a slight skip or two in the nozzle check pattern, run a cleaning cycle, and then it gets worse and then you see it in another color.

Do as Dana states in the video, she is blotting the capping station sponges to desolve and remove the excess ink build up. You also need to clean the bottom of the print head nozzles just as she states. If you do this once a month and run at least a nozzle check once a week you shouldn't have any nozzle blocks or issues.

You can use Windex with Ammonia in place of the PiezoFlush.

Bob P.

Karel Osten Contributing Member • Posts: 699

Thanks all for a very useful thread.

For those interested this a link to a specific tutorial for cleaning the R3000,

http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.362672/sc.42/category.122444/.f

I've also attached some photos of the cleaning stage with the wiper blade up and then with it in it's normal position tucked out of the way.

Karel

R3000 Cleaning station wiper blade up

R3000 Cleaning station wiper blade up

R3000 Cleaning station wiper blade retracted . Note white tab to lift it up.

Karel Osten's gear list:Karel Osten's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D Nikon D7000 Sony SLT-A57 Olympus OM-D E-M10
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads