Nikon 1 system - I´ve had a change of heart

Started Jan 13, 2012 | Discussions
Danlo Regular Member • Posts: 322
Nikon 1 system - I´ve had a change of heart

I´ve been against these cameras since they where announced..

But somehow, this last week I´ve been thinking about what I want from a small "take everywhere" camera:

1. Great raw-image quality without any sort of banding in the shadows when lifting in pp.

That really just leaves Sony Nex and Nikon J1 and V1 (have tried all the raw-files I could find on the net from all the mirrorless cameras on the market)
2. Lightning fast autofocus.

That leaves (for me at least) the Panasonic GX1 and Nikon J1/V1, when comparing in real life, I could really not tell the difference in speed. They are to me equally fast.
3. Absolutely quiet.
That leaves only the Nikon 1 system.

I just wanna say, If anyone have any doubts about the image quality from the Nikon 1 system.. then think again, and learn how to properly use the raw-files..

All I can say is WOW. The look of the files ss much more "NIKON DSLR".. It just blows every m43 cameras raw files out of the water.. (have not tried raw-files from GH2, but that camera has never even been an option for me)

Have you also had a total turnaround and realised that the Nikon 1 system just rules?

Danlo's gear list:Danlo's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D600 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D +18 more
Nikon 1 J1 Nikon 1 V1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
D200_4me
D200_4me Veteran Member • Posts: 4,752
Re: Nikon 1 system - I´ve had a change of heart

It seems people that seriously look at the camera either come to one of two conclusions. One, they really do like it for what it is and they want it. Two, they can't deny that it makes nice photos, but they may not like the shape, controls, etc and therefore are not buying it.

I haven't seen anyone (that is known to be credible) say the Nikon 1 is bad in terms of image quality and the basics of how it performs to get the photo (auto-focus, etc).

If you get one, enjoy It's no secret that I love mine. So yes, I'm biased
--
My Galleries: http://www.openbloom.com/galleries

D200_4me's gear list:D200_4me's gear list
Nikon Z7 Olympus E-M1 III Nikon Z fc Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +5 more
xb70fan Senior Member • Posts: 1,170

Being a m43 user (and also a D7000 and X100) I wasn't thrilled with this system when it was announced. Smaller sensor than m43? Ick!

After having read the user reports over the past few months I started to change my mind. The first time I picked up a V1 it impressed me more than I thought it would. The design is almost Braun-like. I did a side by side test with my GF1 and the V1 was much better at high ISOs.

The question I'm asking myself is: Which system, right now, is more likely to listen to what the enthusiasts want? Which system will release the lenses we want ... quickly?

It just feels to me that m43 is tired, and Nikon is trying to do something new.

-- hide signature --

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Fuji X100 / Nikon D7000 / Panasonic GF1

xb70fan's gear list:xb70fan's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR
OP Danlo Regular Member • Posts: 322

Well, the system has one quite big flaw, but its one I can live with.. Its that you cant turn off the "auto-playback".. That slows the shooting down is really annoying.. well well.. Maybee a firmware update can fix that someday..

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D600 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D +18 more
D200_4me
D200_4me Veteran Member • Posts: 4,752

Yes I hope for that too, but in the meantime what I do is press the shutter button halfway after taking a shot, if I need to get the camera ready again quickly. It forces the review to go away.
--
My Galleries: http://www.openbloom.com/galleries

D200_4me's gear list:D200_4me's gear list
Nikon Z7 Olympus E-M1 III Nikon Z fc Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +5 more
Life goes on Junior Member • Posts: 44

It's happening the same to me.

I've been laughing at these cameras since the first day. "What the...!", "What did Nikon smoke!". But, in the last days I've been analyzing reviews, raw files, impressions from actual usage, and my mind is changing. This system may be perfect for street, travel and even action shooting. Action shooting has been a weak point of mirrorless systems...until Nikon 1 has arrived.

This system may be an unexpected success of Nikon. But the big question is: will Nikon want to realize this? I mean, will Nikon stop, being afraid of cannibalizing sales from DSLR? or, will Nikon let this system to fully develop (with same sensor size but more lenses, more advanced yet small cams, etc)?

topstuff Senior Member • Posts: 1,209

Life goes on wrote:

This system may be an unexpected success of Nikon. But the big question is: will Nikon want to realize this? I mean, will Nikon stop, being afraid of cannibalizing sales from DSLR? or, will Nikon let this system to fully develop (with same sensor size but more lenses, more advanced yet small cams, etc)?

Nikon have invested a lot of money and took quite a gamble with the 1 series, bringing in new AF tech and a new lens range. They must be pleased that the gamble has paid off because sales are strong and in some major markets ( such as the UK) they are fighting for number 1 spot in mirrorless.

Nikon realise they have a success on their hands. They have hinted at a roadmap for new lenses. I think the 1 is here to stay. In such a competitive market, they have a great opportunity here.

OP Danlo Regular Member • Posts: 322

D200_4me wrote:

Yes I hope for that too, but in the meantime what I do is press the shutter button halfway after taking a shot, if I need to get the camera ready again quickly. It forces the review to go away.
--

Thanks! I´ll remember that!

bgD300 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,552
I didn't by a Nikon 1

I bought a P7100 after considering the V1.

It isn't that the One isn't a great system. I just wanted a good walkaround.

The CX format is very appealing and I am really looking forward to what Nikon comes out with as the range of lenses and capabilities in the next couple of years.

I really want to see some extended capabilities with the flash becoming compatible with other CLS, GPS built in or at least be wireless instead of taking up the accessory port, and other possible innovations.

If a decent wireless capability were built in, there would be an incredible opening for 3rd party accessories. A truly open system for photography.
--
My photo blog: http://birdsnbugs.wordpress.com
My camera club porfolio: http://www.pacameraclub.com/bgrant.htm
RF Stock Portfolio - http://www.dreamstime.com/resp129611
EXIF is embedded in photos WSSA #51 as bg5700

bgD300's gear list:bgD300's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon D90 Nikon D300 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +16 more
myzel Senior Member • Posts: 2,075
Re: the review has one advantage

If found out that while using the electronic shutter it's actually useful to get the review display, without it I simply wouldn't know if the image was taken.

I would like two options for the review: off and a very, very short display time - or a different way to get a visual feedback that the image was taken.

Pressing the shutter halfway is a good way to get around the image review. I got used to it very fast.

myzel's gear list:myzel's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 32mm f/1.2
CriticalI Senior Member • Posts: 1,777

Right from the start I considered it as a unique camera type in a new segment, and bought a J1 to replace all my compact camera needs (Ricoh GX100 and Pentax A3).

What I did not expect is that in many instances it actually worked better than my APSC DSLR (D7000). More accurate AF, brilliant WB and metering and more effective VR means a very high percentage of successful exposures. Yes I know it has less DR and resolution, but much of the time that is not a massive handicap.

When I started using RAW with the new ACR release candidate (6.6) I was even more surprised, especially at how well higher ISO shots would clean up and how far you could push shadow exposure. I was especially impressed at how well it maintained colour with increased ISO, something the GX1 and G3 really struggle with.

So, I went from a position of accepting limitations that turned out not to be there at all and accidentally ended up owning a camera that did far more than I expected. I am not complaining, but wondering if I really need more than a J1 and a D700 to do everything I need photographically. It certainly produces travel shots that rival my old 10MP Pentax K10D, and I was dead pleased with them at the time!

Anyway, well done for being objective and taking the time to tell us. It says a lot about you and the camera.

Danlo wrote:

I´ve been against these cameras since they where announced..

But somehow, this last week I´ve been thinking about what I want from a small "take everywhere" camera:

1. Great raw-image quality without any sort of banding in the shadows when lifting in pp.

That really just leaves Sony Nex and Nikon J1 and V1 (have tried all the raw-files I could find on the net from all the mirrorless cameras on the market)
2. Lightning fast autofocus.

That leaves (for me at least) the Panasonic GX1 and Nikon J1/V1, when comparing in real life, I could really not tell the difference in speed. They are to me equally fast.
3. Absolutely quiet.
That leaves only the Nikon 1 system.

I just wanna say, If anyone have any doubts about the image quality from the Nikon 1 system.. then think again, and learn how to properly use the raw-files..

All I can say is WOW. The look of the files ss much more "NIKON DSLR".. It just blows every m43 cameras raw files out of the water.. (have not tried raw-files from GH2, but that camera has never even been an option for me)

Have you also had a total turnaround and realised that the Nikon 1 system just rules?

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Steve

rb0321
rb0321 Senior Member • Posts: 2,826

Very clear, at times I wonder if I need to keep my D7000, already have my D5000 sold.

rb0321's gear list:rb0321's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +1 more
rb0321

To date the V1 is the only mirrorless camera with phase detect focusing. I don't know how all of you feel but without fast, accurate focus to build a system around, you really don't have much. For all the nice features some of these new entries bring to the table, G1 X, XPro 1, they still use contrast detect focusing which by comparison is slow and inaccurate.

Until other makers figure out what Nikon did to put DSLR-type focusing, metering and handling into a small, mirrorless camera, they're not really even contenders for a good walkabout camera.

Doubtless many folks are not aware of this significant difference and will continue to buy these 'systems that pretend to be something serious', but in the end I think they will be disappointed and unfortunatley, their wallets much lighter.

Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +1 more
rhlpetrus Forum Pro • Posts: 27,125
Re: I didn't by a Nikon 1

The slow AF kills the compacts for me. I used a G9 as a companion to the dslrs, but never really used it like I have been using the V1. Now the D7k rests most of the time, in particular for travel, for light weekend shooting and family events. Check my thread on vacation photography just posted here in this forum.

bgD300 wrote:

I bought a P7100 after considering the V1.

It isn't that the One isn't a great system. I just wanted a good walkaround.

The CX format is very appealing and I am really looking forward to what Nikon comes out with as the range of lenses and capabilities in the next couple of years.

I really want to see some extended capabilities with the flash becoming compatible with other CLS, GPS built in or at least be wireless instead of taking up the accessory port, and other possible innovations.

If a decent wireless capability were built in, there would be an incredible opening for 3rd party accessories. A truly open system for photography.
--

-- hide signature --

Renato.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/
OnExposure member
http://www.onexposure.net/

Good shooting and good luck
(after Ed Murrow)

rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +4 more
teinszo Regular Member • Posts: 225

Danlo wrote:

Well, the system has one quite big flaw, but its one I can live with.. Its that you cant turn off the "auto-playback".. That slows the shooting down is really annoying.. well well.. Maybee a firmware update can fix that someday..

For the target market of Nikon 1, the auto-review feature is important. I have yet to see a person (beginner or amateur) with a point & shoot not looking at the LCD after pressing a shutter button. For a more advanced user, though, I agree with you, if there is a way (and some have figured out a work around) to disable it, it would be wonderful. I read somewhere here that if you set it to continuous, it disables it. I haven't tried it though.

rb0321

rhlpetrus wrote:

The slow AF kills the compacts for me. I used a G9 as a companion to the dslrs, but never really used it like I have been using the V1. Now the D7k rests most of the time, in particular for travel, for light weekend shooting and family events. Check my thread on vacation photography just posted here in this forum.

Same here, slow autofocus just isn't acceptable. My D5000, and D7000, do a lot of sitting around since getting the V1 too. I was keeping the D5000 for a decent spare body but am planning to sell it off now.

smallcams Veteran Member • Posts: 3,297
Re: the review has one advantage

myzel wrote:

If found out that while using the electronic shutter it's actually useful to get the review display, without it I simply wouldn't know if the image was taken.

You can use the faux shutter sound in the electronic mode. If you shoot in continuous mode it actually helps you release the shutter button before knocking off 3 or more unwanted exposures.

Michael Klein Contributing Member • Posts: 969

I have to add...to this thread...this is the most fun camera i've used in a very long time...I've been waiting for someone to come out with a P&S that has basically no lag from the moment I take the pic....My biggest gripe with all the P&S even the good ones such as the LX5 is that sometimes I point and that 2 second lag...causes me to lose the pic I was aiming for.....this camera has virtually very little lag if any....the focusing is very solid...and I can shoot 10.30.60 frames a second..try doing that with any of the P&S cams out on the market now....thank you Nikon for putting out the great V1.

bgD300 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,552

I started digital with a 5700 and the focus and shutter lag were extremely annoying. I realized it was the P&S problem so, replaced it with a D50, which was replaced by a D300 which has been supplemented by a D90 (mostly to avoid changing lenses in the field).

I can live with that for a lot of snapshots and actually for some projects I am undertaking. I am aware of the limitations of a P&S and I really like the Nikon One.

What I am saying is that this is the introduction of a discrete subsystem for Nikon.

There are clearly several other lenses and capabilities to come which I presume will be faster or longer or wider while remaining within the concept fo the One system.

The FT1 shows that Nikon is commited to using this in support of legacy systems as well. Integration of CLS would also be a way to make the One subsystem a real part of the Nikon system overall. I would like to see a wireless controller for the accessory shoe that allowed multiple accessories, not necessarily physically attached to the camera, to be used simultaneously.

I look forward to the advances and will likely buy in eventually but, I want to see the direction this is going.
--

bgD300's gear list:bgD300's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon D90 Nikon D300 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +16 more
The Skipper Contributing Member • Posts: 872
J1 with fixed zoom

I would really like to see a Nikon 1 camera with fixed zoom. Essentially a more compact version of the J1.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads