550d video & AF

Started Jan 10, 2012 | Discussions
Cdmcdermott New Member • Posts: 24
550d video & AF

Hi all

I currently have a Nikon D70 and an HD Pansonic camcorder but am considering changing them for a Canon 550d.

I know the image quality is superb so no problem there but am wondering if the 550d video is going to be adequate for me.

Video quality on 550d looks great but the auto focus doesn't sound very good. Also when using AF on videos the internal audio is ruined by the sound of the lense focusing.

So I guess my question is could I use a 550d to shoot day to day video of the kids without having to use an external mic or is the video not upto scratch yet and therefore not compatible with my Panasonic HD camcorder.

Any opinions of 550d users would be appreciated

Thanks

Chris

Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4) Nikon D70
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Y0GI Veteran Member • Posts: 5,230
Re: 550d video & AF

You pretty much have the details right. For 'day to day shots of the kids' the Panny HD will prolly be a better choice.
--
Yogi

When you get down to the nuts and bolts of photography, the results depend on the 'nut' behind the camera!

See the 'Gear List' in my 'Profile' for my current equipment.

Check out the unofficial Rebel forum FAQ - http://snipurl.com/RebelFAQ

Y0GI's gear list:Y0GI's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +2 more
OP Cdmcdermott New Member • Posts: 24

thanks for the reply YOGI

Since the AF is so crap how hard is manual focus for day to day video ? do you know if magic lantern would make the 550d usable for day to day video ?

thanks

Y0GI Veteran Member • Posts: 5,230

Cdmcdermott wrote:

Since the AF is so crap how hard is manual focus for day to day video ? do you know if magic lantern would make the 550d usable for day to day video ?

thanks

I have never tried video with a Canon DSLR, but ML has a nifty AF feature that make manual focusing much easier. It will 'highlight' areas of maximum contrast, showing you where the sharpest focus is. It could possibly make your 'day to day' vids doable.
--
Yogi

When you get down to the nuts and bolts of photography, the results depend on the 'nut' behind the camera!

See the 'Gear List' in my 'Profile' for my current equipment.

Check out the unofficial Rebel forum FAQ - http://snipurl.com/RebelFAQ

Y0GI's gear list:Y0GI's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +2 more

Y0GI wrote:

Cdmcdermott wrote:

thanks

I have never tried video with a Canon DSLR, but ML has a nifty AF feature that make manual focusing much easier. It will 'highlight' areas of maximum contrast, showing you where the sharpest focus is. It could possibly make your 'day to day' vids doable.
--
Yogi

that does sound like good news. I really didnt want to have to carry 2 cameras one for stills and one for video if I could find a camera which does both pretty well.

thanks for the advice !

I would be interested to hear from anyone who is using ML to help with focus issues and how doable day to day video is with this combination

thanks

BeeJayEff Forum Member • Posts: 82

One of my main reasons for upgrading to a 550D was to avoid having to replace my old camcorder, but I do find it a backwards step. I would probably be more interested in the 600D now, as it has the tiltable screen.

Beejay

Do you use ML ? Is it a backward step even with ML?

BeeJayEff Forum Member • Posts: 82

I haven't tried MagicLantern - maybe I should give it a go.

from what ive read it does sound making a 550d a really superb camera !

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads