Pentax @ CES = very sad sight

Started Jan 10, 2012 | Discussions
Katsura Contributing Member • Posts: 588
Pentax @ CES = very sad sight

Not sure about the authenticity of the pic above, but if it is real then it's a fracking sad sight.

Even if one argues that Pentax don't care for CES and will have more weight behind a Camera oriented show, the pic above is almost a joke... Probabbaly be better off NOT have a presence.

jonny1976 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,277
Re: Pentax @ CES = very sad sight

cannot see the photo.

my feeling at this moment is pretty the same. i was ready to biy the 645d but really we dont know nothing about the future of k mount.

last month i was in thailand. i was there before 2 years ago, i bought a k7 the first week it was out in thailand, pretty all the shop have really great price on pentax lenses and have on stock all the lenses. i didnt pick a 31 1,8 for 650 dollar:(( what a shame!!

this time only one shop with some lenses, like the 50-135 1300 euro!!
the 31 1100 euro!

no k5 around, just a bunch of kr and only one shop with a k7 !

i have also to say that living lot of time in france here it's easier to find pentax lenses and cameras, but prices especally for lenses are on line with nikon and much higher than canon for example.

Katsura wrote:

Not sure about the authenticity of the pic above, but if it is real then it's a fracking sad sight.

Even if one argues that Pentax don't care for CES and will have more weight behind a Camera oriented show, the pic above is almost a joke... Probabbaly be better off NOT have a presence.

jonny1976's gear list:jonny1976's gear list
Nikon D2X
topstuff Senior Member • Posts: 1,209

Pentax low presence at a trade show is sad but probably explainable.

At the time when commitments and money was needed to the organisers of the show I suspect that Pentax were in the midst of being sold to Ricoh.

It may be as simple as the fact that Ricoh management were not in place soon enough.

Russell Evans Forum Pro • Posts: 12,617

topstuff wrote:

There is another show in a couple of weeks in Japan. If that is as quiet as this one is for Pentax, I think I'll begin to thin out my lenses.

Thank you
Russell

topstuff Senior Member • Posts: 1,209

Russell Evans wrote:

topstuff wrote:

There is another show in a couple of weeks in Japan. If that is as quiet as this one is for Pentax, I think I'll begin to thin out my lenses.

Thank you
Russell

I think that would be very premature. Ricoh haven't been there long.

glanglois Contributing Member • Posts: 987

I'll help with the thinning, Russell.

Russell Evans wrote:

topstuff wrote:

Thank you
Russell

glanglois's gear list:glanglois's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300
OP Katsura Contributing Member • Posts: 588
Pic link fixed

Tell me this is not the saddest slight

Stefan Carey
Stefan Carey Contributing Member • Posts: 812

I wonder what the strategy is? And if they pay any attention at all to an English language website with frustrated customers dying of thirst in a Pentax news desert, and feverishly speculating on the slightest hint of new equipment.

Previous experience has shown Pentax they are very Japan-centric in their press releases, and force people to try to use Google translate what should be in English. I think this is a hopeless approach in a global market. I see no evidence to suggest their mediocre marketing department has changed at all if it is still involved.

At the very least, say there will be an announcement in Feb or whatever, or say there will no announcement at all. This total lack of information I think does little for customer loyalty. I think it is all rather counter productive. I feel they need to understand there is a market of buyers out there who need a regular fix of either news or new gear.

-- hide signature --

The image is more important than the equipment.

http://www.stefancarey.zenfolio.com

Stefan Carey's gear list:Stefan Carey's gear list
Pentax Optio WG-2
Okay it IS somewhat misleading

I found out the pic above IS a Pentax meeting room (Very bad location btw!) But they do have a real booth in hall D. Still the Booth is tiny, barely bigger than 3rd party small time makers such as BlackRapid, Bowen and "Noritsu"

(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 15,724
Humility wins

don't forget that ...

Pentax has them right where they want them.

C

http://photographic-central.blogspot.com/

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude; nothing can help the man with wrong one."
-Thomas Jefferson

Re: Humility wins

That is one of the quality I like about Pentax

But in the current social environment it is the ones that shout the loudest about their merit that grabs the audience attention and grabs high sales.

topstuff wrote:

Russell Evans wrote:

topstuff wrote:

I think that would be very premature. Ricoh haven't been there long.

I'm not sure if waiting around for the show in Sept. is a good idea either. If they didn't have an idea about what they wanted to do with Pentax before they bought the brand, and need more time to think about it, then that probably says all that is needed.

It's not like going to another brand is the lessor choice now. Four years ago, I couldn't have bought OS lenses. Now there are options within my budget thanks to Sigma. Even the first tier has options within my budget now. High ISO performance is way up as well across the range of bodies I can afford, so it is pretty easy to find a workable solution for my budget.

I can't be the only one thinking this out and coming to the same conclusion.

Thank you
Russell

Re: Humility wins

Katsura wrote:

But in the current social environment it is the ones that shout the loudest about their merit that grabs the audience attention and grabs high sales.

I think you just need products that people are interested in. I don't see Fuji shouting, do you?

Thank you
Russell

glanglois wrote:

I'll help with the thinning, Russell.

That's good. It's hanging around until even that is gone, that is the issue.

Thank you
Russell

Jack Simpson
Jack Simpson Forum Pro • Posts: 11,790
Re: Pic link fixed

I liked the first picture better

Cheers,

Jack
--
STREET PHOTOGRAPHY DOCUMENTARY: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kkHKP4Gnd0

( UPDATED NOV 16th )MY BLOG.... http://www.nakedmanonawire.blogspot.com

MY EMAIL ADDRESS IN IS MY 'VIEW PLAN'

It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one is doing

Jack Simpson's gear list:Jack Simpson's gear list
Canon PowerShot G2 Ricoh GR Nikon Coolpix P900 Pentax *ist DS Pentax K-r +15 more
onesidedcoin Regular Member • Posts: 404
One way of looking at it

If they are serving up beer the location my come in handy.

It’s much less of what the site has to offer than what Pentax selected. From the prospective of someone who manages large commercial properties, the lock set on the door isn’t even ADA compliant, the door closure was place in the common area and a lack of creativity with the signage location. The design built has the flavor of a strip joint where money wasn't a problem but persons selecting materials were . Doubtful it is the only corner of the site that is tacky.

-- hide signature --

Dave

smertz Regular Member • Posts: 350
At least it is better than. . .

The middle stall in the restroom.

That's next year.

SmertZ

jimrpdx
jimrpdx Veteran Member • Posts: 3,780
wow

The Consumer Electronics show is not blazing with Pentax spotlights? I personally don't see a reason to worry about this; let Sony Panasonic and Samsung show off their consumer electronics, and hold off for the more photo-centric events. Works for me.
--
Jim in Oregon -- http://granitix.blogspot.com
Alpha A200 -> G1 -> K-5 & F550exr

jimrpdx's gear list:jimrpdx's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +4 more
Winder Senior Member • Posts: 1,545
Re: At least it is better than. . .

Damn people. Pentax just released the Q a few months ago and don't for get the plastic 35mm f/2.4 that just came out in 2010.

It is only the beginning of 2012. You guys need some patience. By the end of the year I bet you will will have 5 or 6 different color options for the Q and at least 2 firmware updates to play with, so chill.
--
Contax 645, Canon 5D, Olympus E-3 (sold), Playing with a K-7

Winder's gear list:Winder's gear list
Sony a9 Sony Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA SSM Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 35mm F1.4 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro +3 more
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 3,992

I don't see the image, but my take on this is that it could take Pentax/Ricoh as long as 1 year(or more) to get organized. Having said that, I'm really not worried about it. I have all the lenses I'll ever need, and several bodies to use them with and so it's all good.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads