new pentax model?

Dear Friends,

i just saw this and so I share it with you

http://www.p3newsreviews.net/2012/01/mystery-camera-spotted-at-ces.html

kitsios_spyros's gear list:kitsios_spyros's gear list
Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 II Samsung NX300 Pentax K-3 Pentax KP +13 more
DLBlack Forum Pro • Posts: 14,696
Re: new pentax model?

This rumor has shown up at several places in the internet. Most likley one person being repeated by all the photo rumor sites. It could be true. No announcement before or on the first day of PMA @ CES makes me think it is just a rumor. Still this year Pentax has a booth (and meeting room) at PMA which they didn't have for the past few years, where they just had a meeting room. So they might announce something. I could go for a new lens roadmap at this point. Right now I am guessing the new product announcements will be next motnth at CP+. Then again Pentax and Ricoh both like to do things differently so they just might announce something mid-way through PMA-CES.

Dave
--

DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II +40 more
solarider Veteran Member • Posts: 4,843

Pentax has two booths on the floor, plus the hospitality suite.

DLBlack wrote:

Still this year Pentax has a booth (and meeting room) at PMA which they didn't have for the past few years, where they just had a meeting room.

Dave
--

-- hide signature --

At any given moment, there is a sort of all pervading orthodoxy, a general tacit
agreement not to discuss large and uncomfortable facts… Anyone who
challenges the prevailing orthodoxy finds himself silenced with surprising
effectiveness. - George Orwell

Wallace Ross
Wallace Ross Senior Member • Posts: 2,170

If true it seems unlikely that something like that would be an accident, all you have to do is put something in a case and no one would see it. I'm ready for a camera that will take my K-mount lenses but is smaller than a DSLR, seems too good to be true though.
--
http://wkoopmans.ca/notebook/

solarider wrote:

Pentax has two booths on the floor, plus the hospitality suite.

DLBlack wrote:

Still this year Pentax has a booth (and meeting room) at PMA which they didn't have for the past few years, where they just had a meeting room.

So this is a lot more than they have in the past in regard to space. Now what are they doing with this space. From the rumor of the new camera it looks like they are hidding cameras in this extra space.

Very odd. Then again it is Pentax under Ricoh ownership so odd is expected.

Dave
--

GLiving New Member • Posts: 8

I hope that is not the replacement for the K5. No viewfinder removes a LOT of cameras from my list and if Pentax is going that way I'll have to move to another platform after 45 years.

asahi man Senior Member • Posts: 1,007

No,no.....no panic.
This was not the replacement für the K-5.
The K-? will be a real SLR
I know that there is showing a new thing,but still not for the public.
It will show in Februar/March.
At first the Pentax offices will get the new stuff.
K-r and K-5 replacements are coming later.
Best regards.

miles green
miles green Veteran Member • Posts: 7,587

Ah, this is good news!
A small "digital back" for my limiteds for everyday use!

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Corfu

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-1 Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +7 more
janneman02 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,733

miles green wrote:

Ah, this is good news!
A small "digital back" for my limiteds for everyday use!

that would be a not micro but plain K-mount pentax equivalent od the so called micro mounts....

interesting, please make it sealed (just as they sdhould with the K-r successor, might be a ricoh thing as for ages they maye digicams that were aimed at a dustry and wet work environmente, jus kame a no frills weather resistant dslr)
--

The difference between genius and LBA is that genius has its
limits.

• Janneman ( adaptation of the Kings quote from Albert Einstein)

asahi man wrote:

No,no.....no panic.
This was not the replacement für the K-5.
The K-? will be a real SLR
I know that there is showing a new thing,but still not for the public.
It will show in Februar/March.
At first the Pentax offices will get the new stuff.
K-r and K-5 replacements are coming later.
Best regards.

It is nice to hear a rumor of stuff coming in the future. Still it seems like there should be a better showing from Pentax/Rich at the first major photo equipment show since they brought Pentax. From Pentax/Rich show at PMA @ CES I will not be buying anything from them. Which is not the feeling a company will want to give their potential customers.

Dave
--

Zvonimir Tosic
Zvonimir Tosic Veteran Member • Posts: 3,085
CES is not major photo equipment show

DLBlack wrote:

It is nice to hear a rumor of stuff coming in the future. Still it seems like there should be a better showing from Pentax/Rich at the first major photo equipment show since they brought Pentax. From Pentax/Rich show at PMA @ CES I will not be buying anything from them. Which is not the feeling a company will want to give their potential customers.

CES is not a major photo equipment show. It's a consumer electronics show.
Even Apple in not there.

So what? Does it mean Apple will bankrupt tomorrow and cease production of their products, which fall into CES description far better than any photography related product Pentax-Ricoh have?

-- hide signature --

Zvonimir Tosic

Zvonimir Tosic's gear list:Zvonimir Tosic's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 +3 more
Re: CES is not major photo equipment show

Zvonimir Tosic wrote:

DLBlack wrote:

Even Apple in not there.

So what? Does it mean Apple will bankrupt tomorrow and cease production of their products, which fall into CES description far better than any photography related product Pentax-Ricoh have?

Apple is a very big company and does not need CES to get people excited about their products.

This year PMA, which is a photo equipment show, is part of CES. Pentax has booth space there. It would make sense to show something or talk about something to build some excitement about the Pentax/Rich brand. Especially since it is the first show after Ricoh purchased Pentax and customers want to hear what direction Ricoh is taking Pentax.

I for one am holding off any Pentax purchases until I see the direction Ricoh is taking Pentax. So far I didn't see this out of Pentax at PMA @ CES.

Dave
--

baldeagle21b Contributing Member • Posts: 999

This year PMA, which is a photo equipment show, is part of CES. Pentax has booth space there. It would make sense to show something or talk about something to build some excitement about the Pentax/Rich brand. Especially since it is the first show after Ricoh purchased Pentax and customers want to hear what direction Ricoh is taking Pentax.

They are clearly doing all of that. At the show, they are showing stuff that can be shown and talking about stuff that can be talked about. So what exactly is your problem with that?

baldeagle21b's gear list:baldeagle21b's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-01 Pentax Q7 Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 II +9 more

baldeagle21b wrote:

They are clearly doing all of that. At the show, they are showing stuff that can be shown and talking about stuff that can be talked about. So what exactly is your problem with that?

Are they really do this is the question. The few posts of visitors to the booth seems to be unexcited and left without known the direction Pentax is heading under Ricoh. Hopefully Pentax are having great behind close doors of meeting room with the retail buyers and these retail buyers left these close door meetings excited about upcoming products and the future of Pentax. Still from the few reports of people that been to the booth one just don't know.

Dave
--

baldeagle21b Contributing Member • Posts: 999

I believe that the groundwork is being laid for introduction of the next generation of products from Ricoh/Pentax; distribution channels, sales outlets being set up, etc, that kind of thing. Any information supplied now about products due for release this year will be embargoed with NDAs until the product is ready for release, so those who might have firm information about products in the pipeline cannot disclose it. I know it's frustrating, but that's the way it is.

baldeagle21b's gear list:baldeagle21b's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-01 Pentax Q7 Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 II +9 more

baldeagle21b wrote:

I believe that the groundwork is being laid for introduction of the next generation of products from Ricoh/Pentax; distribution channels, sales outlets being set up, etc, that kind of thing. Any information supplied now about products due for release this year will be embargoed with NDAs until the product is ready for release, so those who might have firm information about products in the pipeline cannot disclose it. I know it's frustrating, but that's the way it is.

Hopefully all true. One would assume Pentax is having meetings and laying the groundwork for the future.

Still it would be nice to have something to give a visitor to the booth so they will leave the booth excited about the future of Pentax. This especially after Pentax was purchased four months before. I don't known what that something would be but it does seem like the visitors to the Pentax booth were not excited with what they saw.

Dave
--

exp1orer
exp1orer Senior Member • Posts: 2,813
wrong!

if you want to make a standout appearance and gain extended media milleage..CES is not the best place and timing...why announce something in an event when all your completions are announcing their new products? if you want wider multi media coverage...announce your product at a time when no one is grabbing attending from you.

DLBlack wrote:

Zvonimir Tosic wrote:

DLBlack wrote:

Even Apple in not there.

Apple is a very big company and does not need CES to get people excited about their products.

I for one am holding off any Pentax purchases until I see the direction Ricoh is taking Pentax. So far I didn't see this out of Pentax at PMA @ CES.

Dave
--

-- hide signature --
Greg Lovern Senior Member • Posts: 1,597
Hmm

exp1orer wrote:

if you want to make a standout appearance and gain extended media milleage..CES is not the best place and timing...why announce something in an event when all your competitors are announcing their new products? if you want wider multi media coverage...announce your product at a time when no one is grabbing attending from you.

By that logic, no one should announce anything at CES, nor at PhotoKina, nor at any other media event.

So why do they? I guess they just don't have your business savvy.

Greg

-- hide signature --

Brand loyalty is a character flaw.

Re: wrong!

It all depends on product being announce. Fuji made a big splash with their announcement of their new camera.

Still it is not all about standout appearances. It is about behind the door meetings with your retail buyers and keeping them informed. It is also about keeping your customers informed about your corporate version and build so excitement about your products.

It appears that we known nothing about the future vision of where Ricoh is taking Pentax. There is even the question of the continuation of the K-mount. Enough questions about the direction Pentax is heading under their new owners that customers are wondering if they should be buying Pentax gear. Those customer concerns should be addressed at an event such as PMA @ CES.

Dave

exp1orer wrote:

if you want to make a standout appearance and gain extended media milleage..CES is not the best place and timing...why announce something in an event when all your completions are announcing their new products? if you want wider multi media coverage...announce your product at a time when no one is grabbing attending from you.

DLBlack wrote:

Zvonimir Tosic wrote:

DLBlack wrote:

Even Apple in not there.

Dave
--

-- hide signature --

CANIKONTAXIAN Contributing Member • Posts: 629
36 CES Show Reports link

I wonder if PRICO will give Dpreview an interview at CES like the 36 other imaging and related assessory companies did ?

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/editorial/category/show-reports

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads