nikon d5100 & SB-700 remote flash issue

Started Jan 9, 2012 | Discussions
hoitep New Member • Posts: 2
nikon d5100 & SB-700 remote flash issue

Hi guys,

I have a question about using the SB-700 as a remote flash.

I've been playing around with my d5100 for a while now and recently decided to add a SB-700 flash to my collection. It works great when used in the hotshoe but when I put it on the stand that comes with the flash to use it remotely, it didn't work as smooth as I expected it to. I found out that it doesnt go off when i shoot in the Automatic setting (of my d5100), but it does in Manual mode.

As I am quite new to shooting with flash, let alone the use of remote flashes, I want to start out using flash in the regular Auto setting, so I was wondering if there is any way to get the flash to work when I have my DSLR in the Auto setting.
All tips are much appreciated.

Thanks!

Hoite

Nikon D5100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
gisle Senior Member • Posts: 2,468
Not with the D5100 pop-up flash

The SB-700 can use work in auto (i.e. i-TTL) remote mode, but not with the D5100 pop-up flash as master (it is a limitation that Nikon imposes on its entry level DSLR models. Models from the D7000 and up does not have this limitation.)

You can buy a separate unit for around USD 250 that Nikon calls the SU-800 and that will add this capability to the D5100, more here: http://dpanswers.com/content/nikon_flash_models.php#su800
--
– gisle [ See profile/plan for equipment list ]

Quantum Help Senior Member • Posts: 1,666
Re: Not with the D5100 pop-up flash

When you say automatic mode on the camera. are you referring to the little green camera setting? If so, that will not handle the wireless. Try using the P or A modes on the camera instead.

Quantum Help's gear list:Quantum Help's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D1X Nikon D200 Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +5 more
OP hoitep New Member • Posts: 2
Re: Not with the D5100 pop-up flash

thanks for the feedback! I'll experiment a bit more in P and A mode.

WFulton Senior Member • Posts: 2,697
Re: nikon d5100 & SB-700 remote flash issue

hoitep wrote:

I found out that it doesnt go off when i shoot in the Automatic setting (of my d5100), but it does in Manual mode.

As I am quite new to shooting with flash, let alone the use of remote flashes, I want to start out using flash in the regular Auto setting, so I was wondering if there is any way to get the flash to work when I have my DSLR in the Auto setting.

No, SB-700 SU-4 mode is NOT iTTL mode.

You are using the SB-700 in its SU-4 mode (optical slave), triggering it with the D5100 internal flash. This is manual flash mode, and both the SB-700 and the D5100 flash MUST be in manual flash mode. It will work great if both flashes are in manual mode.

Because, in TTL mode, the D5100 first fires a preflash, which triggers the optical slave early (before shutter is open), instead of contributing to the picture when shutter is open.

See SB-700 manual page D-20. Auto does not mean Auto as you may imagine. This is a hold over from film TTL mode, and Auto means it starts AND STOPS with the triggering flash, assumed to be a film TTL flash, as a way to implement psuedo multiple film TTL flashes.

Just talking, dunno about SB-700, but this might work anyway if the SB-700 were set to low power (SB-800 can), it might be able to follow both preflash and final flash, but honestly, it is simply the wrong dumb idea.

See page D-21. You will have tremendously greater range of the optical slave trigger in Manual mode. This is manual flash mode, you have to set the power level of both flashes yourself, accordingly.

kimjmoon New Member • Posts: 1

Hi everyone. I know I'm coming late to this party, but I have an answer. I have the d5100 and the sb700 flash. I have read that the d5100 will not wirelessly trigger the flash when is is off camera and on its stand.

THIS IS WRONG! I read in interest about setting the flash on SU-4 which I did, and needing to put the camera in Manual. I tried this and it didnt work. Then I moved the switch on the right side of the flash to remote and it worked! I further tested the fact that if i set the switch on the left hand side of the flash to TTL and put the camera in the green auto mode and set the Flash/backeting to TTL. It still worked! Fabulously I might add.

So after having it for a year and believeing everything I have read in the manual and on line. Its all wrong!

Th Nikon D5100 will wirelessly control the SB700 flash using the D5100 flash as a trigger. So unless I am misunderstanding this thread.

Graystar Veteran Member • Posts: 8,373

kimjmoon wrote:

Hi everyone. I know I'm coming late to this party, but I have an answer. I have the d5100 and the sb700 flash. I have read that the d5100 will not wirelessly trigger the flash when is is off camera and on its stand.

THIS IS WRONG! I read in interest about setting the flash on SU-4 which I did, and needing to put the camera in Manual. I tried this and it didnt work. Then I moved the switch on the right side of the flash to remote and it worked!

Page D-8 of the SB-700 manual states to set the power switch to "REMOTE" for remote flash operation.  Also, the reason that you see "SU-4" when you set remote mode is because you set the "Remote Flash Unit Setting" in the custom settings to "SU-4" (as you were instructed to do so on page D-18 of the SB-700 manual.)

I further tested the fact that if i set the switch on the left hand side of the flash to TTL and put the camera in the green auto mode and set the Flash/backeting to TTL. It still worked! Fabulously I might add.

Page D-20 of the SB-700 manual states that the mode selector is used to set the operating mode for SU-4 operation.  "TTL" on the switch selects the SU-4 "AUTO" mode.

So after having it for a year and believeing everything I have read in the manual and on line. Its all wrong!

It sounds to me like everything in the manual is right.

June1 New Member • Posts: 20

I have Nikon D40 which have have used many times with my Interfit EX150 lights using a wireless trigger to set the lights off with no problems.  I have just upgraded to a Nikon D5100 and hope to be using the same set-up with the same triggers although havent tried it yet as only had the new camera a few days - I would like to use my SB700 flash off camera as part of this set-up attached to a stand but don't know how to set it off with my current set-up - would I need to have another receiver for it?? Sorry also for coming in late on this discussion...

CDi
CDi New Member • Posts: 1

Nice tip with the remote flash but i see that in pictures the body flash also appears, can i use the body flash just for remote triggering or i will always have the bought flashes active at the moment of the picture is been taken ?

CDi's gear list:CDi's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR +1 more
fotowbert
fotowbert Senior Member • Posts: 2,892
Optical triggering with built-in flash

CDi wrote:

Nice tip with the remote flash but i see that in pictures the body flash also appears, can i use the body flash just for remote triggering or i will always have the bought flashes active at the moment of the picture is been taken ?

When using your camera's built-in flash to optically trigger remote units the signal to fire the remotes must occur when the shutter is open. Here are several ways to minimize the built-in's light that registers in the image.

1. Set the built-in to minimum power.
  2. Use a reflective card to divert the built-in's light toward reflective surfaces if you are inside.
  3. Block the built-in's visible light with Nikon's SG-3IR IR Panel.  This filter passes IR light which optical triggers are sensitive to.  You can make your own version of this.  Search for IR passing filter materials.  Some floppy disk material has this property and it worked for me.
  • John
 fotowbert's gear list:fotowbert's gear list
Canon PowerShot A20 Canon PowerShot SD870 IS Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ8 Canon PowerShot S95 +15 more
pinupphotog New Member • Posts: 3

I loved my d5100 in manual mode with sb-700 it triggered everytime with my strobe but now I have a d5500 and I do not know what to do to trigger my speedlight as the master to set off my strobe???

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads