R3000 scratching Good Silk Fibre

Started Jan 9, 2012 | Discussions
Albino_BlacMan
Albino_BlacMan Senior Member • Posts: 1,007
R3000 scratching Good Silk Fibre

Just got some Ilford Gold silk fibre (8.5x11) to stick in my R3000. Tried printing it by top loading. Got a scratch in the top left hand corner (where top means last side to come out of the printer and left is standing infront of the printer looking at the image while it comes out). So I tried front loading the paper. Same scratch. So I did a search and changed the Platen Gap from standard to wide. Same scratches. Now I'm out about $5 dollars worth of paper so does anyone have any suggestions of how to fix this?

I'm printing in LR3. My next guess would be to change the paper thickness which is currently set at 3 but I don't know what I would set that as.

Also Galerie Smooth Pearl Prints fine up to 13x19 in the printer. Thats the only other paper I've used.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
--
Chris

http://s1215.photobucket.com/home/Albino_BlacMan/index

stormyboy Contributing Member • Posts: 842
Re: R3000 scratching Good Silk Fibre
RetLaEnvEmp Forum Member • Posts: 92

Have a similar problem with print head scratches and rubs on large sheets printed on my Epson r3000. Found simple solution was to place a magazine (Motor Trend about 3/8's of an inch thick) in the catch bin where the photo came out. The printed photo cleared the magazine easily coming out of the printer while the magazine added a flat uniform extension to the catch tray and prevented the large prints (8x10) or larger prints from curling up and hitting the moving print head or other parts of the printer. A perfect cure that works 100.000% of the time - heck no - but I bet it will work on small print jobs of less than 15 large prints about 99% with no problems if you followed the steps once you got it set up for you machine. Really is simple - but limits the number of photos you can print because on the 3/8 magazine sitting in the print bin unless you closely watch the printer and take the print out of the bin and don't let them build up.

Albino_BlacMan
OP Albino_BlacMan Senior Member • Posts: 1,007

Thanks for this. This seems in line with what the links said. Luckily I too subscribe to motortrend so this solutions is available to me!
--
Chris

Howard Moftich Veteran Member • Posts: 9,300

with the thicker 'art' papers (vs. RC type), you definitely want to use a 4 or 5 setting for thickness, wide/wider/widest gap and support the paper when it comes out of the printer.

Also, if you've done any real at-home printing, wasting $5 worth of paper is drop in the bucket of money/time/ink/paper black-hole of printing.

Albino_BlacMan
OP Albino_BlacMan Senior Member • Posts: 1,007

Also, if you've done any real at-home printing, wasting $5 worth of paper is drop in the bucket of money/time/ink/paper black-hole of printing.

Sorry don't do much "real" printing. I'm a university student who spends whatever money I have leftover on photography. Paper is one of the few things I don't buy used and I just started printing so $5 was alot of paper for me.

However thanks to everyone for their comments. I got it to print correctly now! And wow GSF is sexy stuff!
--
Chris

Howard Moftich Veteran Member • Posts: 9,300

if you like GFS, then you may want to try Canson Baryta Photographique. Very similar but even better than GFS.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads