D4 full samples at high iso (not Nikon samples)...

Started Jan 8, 2012 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Ray Soares Veteran Member • Posts: 3,110
D4 full samples at high iso (not Nikon samples)...

http://mirceabezergheanu.smugmug.com/gallery/20915871_LhHTdj# !i=1661827515&k=mMGsbkw

12800 iso is completely usable IMO. Like iso 2000 in my D7000
Someone could make a proxy comparison to a D3s jpeg?
Best
--
Ray Soares

See my pictures at http://www.pbase.com/raysoares

 Ray Soares's gear list:Ray Soares's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +1 more
Nikon D3S Nikon D4 Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
manmachine242 Regular Member • Posts: 404
Re: D4 full samples at high iso (not Nikon samples)...

Testing high ISO's in bright light is pointless.

i do not think that D4 is better than D3s in high ISO image quality.

-- hide signature --

the browser based optical simulation tool

http://nagykrisztian.com/synthrays/

 manmachine242's gear list:manmachine242's gear list
Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro
Ray Soares OP Veteran Member • Posts: 3,110
Re: D4 full samples at high iso (not Nikon samples)...

The pic of the Nikon guy standing up is 1/160 at f2.5 and iso 6400. Seems "low light" to me.
Of course the camera got a beta firmware , it's a jpg, etc.
Looking good IMO.
Best
--
Ray Soares

See my pictures at http://www.pbase.com/raysoares

 Ray Soares's gear list:Ray Soares's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +1 more
AlexMegremis Regular Member • Posts: 213
Re: D4 full samples at high iso (not Nikon samples)...

I'm not sure what processing has been done to these. They seem to be straight out of camera.

Looking at the Nikon guy shot at ISO3200 at 100%, there seems to be a lot of color splotching. I dont' want to call it evidence of chroma noise, because the t-shirt is clean, but the skin on the guy is messy

Looking at this in isolation, I wouldn't be saying that the D4 has any noise advantage over the D3s, I'd be calling it the other way around.

But, that said, this is just a JPG, and it could indeed be down to beta firmware. I'm very keen to see the first NEFs come out. I'm even more keen to test out side by side with my D3s at a store for a more apples-to-apples comparison.

Photo_AK
Photo_AK Senior Member • Posts: 1,046
Re: D4 full samples at high iso (not Nikon samples)...

manmachine242 wrote:

i do not think that D4 is better than D3s in high ISO image quality.

I'd also say it's not better; the noise performance is the same with the added bonus of 4Mpix.

-- hide signature --

Robert Capa said 'you can never get close enough'. Well, he did.... He also often visited my daily photoblog at http://logatec.blogspot.com/

 Photo_AK's gear list:Photo_AK's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon PC-E Nikkor 24mm f/3.5D ED +7 more
Petruska Veteran Member • Posts: 7,745
Agree, 3200 has noise

showing already. I think the D3S has better noise performance.

Bob P.

Horshack Veteran Member • Posts: 5,803
Comparison was done here:
Ray Soares OP Veteran Member • Posts: 3,110
Thanks! nt
-- hide signature --

Ray Soares

See my pictures at http://www.pbase.com/raysoares

 Ray Soares's gear list:Ray Soares's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +1 more
ScottMac Senior Member • Posts: 1,312
Re: D4 full samples at high iso (not Nikon samples)...

manmachine242 wrote:

Testing high ISO's in bright light is pointless.

i do not think that D4 is better than D3s in high ISO image quality.

And you are wrong.

teodorian2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,870
Re: D4 full samples at high iso (not Nikon samples)...

manmachine242 wrote:

Testing high ISO's in bright light is pointless.

i do not think that D4 is better than D3s in high ISO image quality.

-- hide signature --

the browser based optical simulation tool

http://nagykrisztian.com/synthrays/

Really!

What do you base your judgement on?

Do you think Nikon would put much time, effort and money developing a new flagship FX DSLR with inferior image quality compared to the previous model and by that jeopardize their reputation?

Why would that happen now since Nikon never ever before has relased a new model with worse image quality compared to the predecessor?

Petruska Veteran Member • Posts: 7,745
Looks that way...

when compared to the D3S for Hi-ISO noise.

The D4 and D3S are two completely different cameras targeted towards two different areas of performance.

Remember a year ago Nikon execs stated that there will be compromises in IQ and Hi-ISO performance, more of a middle of the line result.

The new D800 may acutally have worse ISO performance than the D700, but people got to have that 36MP...

Bob P.

teodorian2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,870
Re: Looks that way...

Petruska wrote:

when compared to the D3S for Hi-ISO noise.

The D4 and D3S are two completely different cameras targeted towards two different areas of performance.

Remember a year ago Nikon execs stated that there will be compromises in IQ and Hi-ISO performance, more of a middle of the line result.

The new D800 may acutally have worse ISO performance than the D700, but people got to have that 36MP...

Bob P.

No, your assumtions are wrong.

gonzalu
gonzalu Forum Pro • Posts: 10,389
Don't sell your D3s just yet :P
 gonzalu's gear list:gonzalu's gear list
Sony RX100 III Nikon D4S Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +19 more
d3xmeister Senior Member • Posts: 1,943
Re: Don't sell your D3s just yet :P

What we know for sure is that the D4 is not a stop better than the D3s. If it was better, the default ISO range would go to ISO25600. So we can expect only slighty better, equal or slightly worse. There is a lot of chroma noise in the jpegs but that does not realy proves anything.

Iliah Borg Forum Pro • Posts: 20,815
can you explain

manmachine242 wrote:

Testing high ISO's in bright light is pointless.

How so?

-- hide signature --
Marianne Oelund Veteran Member • Posts: 6,092
High ISO and bright light

manmachine242 wrote:

Testing high ISO's in bright light is pointless.

Not true. Photographing a scene at EV 12, 1/8000 shutter, ISO 12800 produces the same result as the same scene at EV 4, 1/30 shutter, ISO 12800, provided lighting color and other settings are kept the same.

The reason why some think "bright light" doesn't test high ISO, is because it's usually daylight balance, whereas "low light" tends to be artificial, which exacerbates perceived noise in the image.

i do not think that D4 is better than D3s in high ISO image quality.

Not far from the truth, but there are differences, which some users may find significant to their work.

marcio_napoli Senior Member • Posts: 1,087
Re: Don't sell your D3s just yet :P

First time I'll knock so badly a Nikon camera

I love Nikon, I'm a Nikon fanboy most of the time, but...

I'm so sad about those samples... I mean, I opened by mistake the ISO 50k bottle shot and thought it was really bad.

but then I discovered that it was the ISO 50k sample ! WOW

When I got to the 200k sample , I went from this to something like this

4 years of development from the Earth-shaking D3 to this ?? ? ? ?

So sad... really guys... that's so frustrating...

And I meant to buy this baby. Probably will, but just because I don't have a D3s and because I want high quality video.

Oh dear...

Redteg94 Senior Member • Posts: 1,546
Re: D4 full samples at high iso (not Nikon samples)...

Can you explain how 1/320, f/2.0, ISO 12 800 is "bright light"? Are you by chance a coal miner?

manmachine242 wrote:

Testing high ISO's in bright light is pointless.

i do not think that D4 is better than D3s in high ISO image quality.

-- hide signature --

the browser based optical simulation tool

http://nagykrisztian.com/synthrays/

-- hide signature --

-Scott

scorpiuspix Regular Member • Posts: 331
Re: D4 full samples at high iso (not Nikon samples)...

exactly. While I completely realize none of us can make any fair comparisons right now, I would be hard pressed to believe no improvements (ISO) result from the D4. Perhaps they'll only be on one end of the ISO spectrum, or very small improvements in some range, I don't know but I highly doubt there will be no improvements. Nikon's got way too much invested in the D4 venture at this point, including what, 2.5 yrs of development and has had lots of time to figure out how to squeeze some improvement. Time will tell I guess!
--
scorpius

 scorpiuspix's gear list:scorpiuspix's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon Df Nikon D500
Luke Kaven Veteran Member • Posts: 5,693
Re: High ISO and bright light

Marianne Oelund wrote:

manmachine242 wrote:

Testing high ISO's in bright light is pointless.

Not true. Photographing a scene at EV 12, 1/8000 shutter, ISO 12800 produces the same result as the same scene at EV 4, 1/30 shutter, ISO 12800, provided lighting color and other settings are kept the same.

The reason why some think "bright light" doesn't test high ISO, is because it's usually daylight balance, whereas "low light" tends to be artificial, which exacerbates perceived noise in the image.

At the same time, a contrasty scene with a significant shadow area is helpful to show up pattern noise and blooming, for example.

The D3 was a great sports camera even at high gain settings, in part due to the largely midtone content and even lighting. The blooming only got in the way when you had a dark region aligned with a blown highlight, which would render the fixed noise component obvious.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads