A77 - how did I miss this? No tether support.

Started Jan 8, 2012 | Discussions
Henry Curric Junior Member • Posts: 48
A77 - how did I miss this? No tether support.

I love my A77 but I was shocked to learn that there is no tethering support. NONE.

No software in the box for even meagre tethering support. There is a company that sells a lightroom plugin that allows super fast flawless tethering with the A700, A900 and A850. But they can't support the A77 because the camera itself doesn't have any tethering support in the firmware.

This seems like a pretty massive oversight on the part of Sony. They fixed the live view problem with shooting studio strobes - so clearly they are paying some attention to a studio setting with this camera. Why not tethering?

Please Sony - fix this, and thank you.

Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Archer66 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,592
Re: A77 - how did I miss this? No tether support.

Lightroom does not (directly) support any Sony for tethering so maybe Sony thinks its waste of time for A77 to have tethering without Lightroom support.

Another question is why Lightroom does not have suppor for Sony, lack of support from Sony or lack of interest from Adobe.

Does other software (DxO or Aperture ) support Sony tethering ?

Gary Kirkpatrick Regular Member • Posts: 257

Hey, thanks for putting this thread up. I have been seriously looking to move to Sony and away from Nikon. Never thought to look specifically to tethering issue, just assumed it would. Just checked Capture One 6 Pro and it just says Preliminary support for Sony. So unless tethering is in the A99 firmware, Sony is a dead issue. I have been waiting to see if the A99 is announced at CES. If it is and there is no tethering I have to wait for the Canon 5D mk III or stay with Nikon. Sad.
--
GaryK

snowshovel 1 Regular Member • Posts: 207

wow I did not know that ---not good

OldClicker Senior Member • Posts: 2,322

No Sony with Live View has tethering. And without a preview, is it really tethering? - TF

goetz48 Senior Member • Posts: 2,607
But my good old KM A2 has it.

Crazy that they cannot remember what the Minolta crew developed 10 years ago.

goetz48's gear list:goetz48's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Tamron SP AF 180mm F/3.5 Di LD (IF) Macro Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF) +4 more
OldClicker Senior Member • Posts: 2,322
Re: But my good old KM A2 has it.

goetz48 wrote:

Crazy that they cannot remember what the Minolta crew developed 10 years ago.

Yes - though there is Minolta baggage I would like to see them forget, this isn't one of them. - TF

SETI
SETI Forum Member • Posts: 95

Oh yes! How could all that people from the past shoot without tethering? Not good, bad Sony!

But of course, I think it can help somebody to shoot better...

SETI's gear list:SETI's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS M6 Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +12 more
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 32,526

Interesting. While it isn't something I care about it seems stupid for Sony to omit it since it wouldn't cost anything. Start a write in campaign of complaints to Sony to have it implemented on all Sony Cameras through firmware.
--
Tom

Look at the picture, not the pixels

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63683676@N07/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25301400@N00/

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD Sony RX10 III +9 more
Dickerson Forum Member • Posts: 64

Perhaps Sony want you to buy their CLM-V55 external screen!?
--
Terry

Prognathous Veteran Member • Posts: 9,017
Possible workaround...

Henry Curric wrote:

I love my A77 but I was shocked to learn that there is no tethering support. NONE.

Perhaps the following can serve as a workaround:

• Use an HDMI cable to connect the camera to an external screen (or a PC, via a video capture card) - do this for manual focus (in live-view) and composition

• Use a cable-release to trip the shutter

• Use an Eye-Fi SD card to immediately access the pictures on card - from the PC

Would that work for you? If not, what specific functionality is missing?

Prog.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/oren_b

Prognathous's gear list:Prognathous's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Tamron 18-270mm F3.5-6.3 Di II PZD Tamron SP AF 60mm F/2 Di II LD IF Macro Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +10 more
Ralf B
Ralf B Veteran Member • Posts: 8,097
Re: Possible workaround...

Prognathous wrote:

(snip) If not, what specific functionality is missing?

Remote control of the camera settings, like possible for the a700 and a900/850 via Sony's Remote Control software for PC and Mac, is missing in that workaround.
--
Ralf
http://RalfRalph.smugmug.com/

Ralf B's gear list:Ralf B's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha a99 Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM +14 more
Prognathous Veteran Member • Posts: 9,017

Ralf Bliesener wrote:

Remote control of the camera settings, like possible for the a700 and a900/850 via Sony's Remote Control software for PC and Mac, is missing in that workaround.

I see. Can you explain how and when is this lack of control significant?

Prog.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/oren_b

Prognathous's gear list:Prognathous's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Tamron 18-270mm F3.5-6.3 Di II PZD Tamron SP AF 60mm F/2 Di II LD IF Macro Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +10 more
Chimere
Chimere Senior Member • Posts: 1,583

Can somebody of take time and explain what "tethering" is, and what the typical work environment would be to request such control ? Have searched for the term, but much of what is posted does not answer basic questions.

Chimere

barreto_co
barreto_co Forum Member • Posts: 61

Chimere wrote:

Can somebody of take time and explain what "tethering" is, and what the typical work environment would be to request such control ?

Tethering is when the camera is connected to a computer for shutter release and for image capturing and storing. The camera and the computer is connected via a USB or firewire cord.

There are various software applications that allow you to do this such as Adobe Lightroom and for the professional, Phase One Capture One.

That means that you can sit in the computer, click a button the the screen and the camera will fire, capture the image, send it to the computer, show a large preview on screen and store the RAW file in the computer or external hard drive.

It makes working in the studio with the client a great deal easier. It also helps when testing the light.

I am also gutted that the A77 does not have tethered shooting. I do hope that the upcoming FF cameras have that in them as I can imagined that the A900 replacement wouldn't.

Corkcampbell
Corkcampbell Forum Pro • Posts: 17,148
I have one of those; it's pretty good. (nt)

no text

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus E-M5 II +5 more
Chimere
Chimere Senior Member • Posts: 1,583

Thanks for the education. It appears to me that tetheroing than to be a feature a professional would use. The A77 does not typically adress the realm of a professional environment.

Chimere

gspam1 Regular Member • Posts: 168

Yes, I had asked about this prior to the A77 shipping and was also quite disappointed in the lack of tethering. I think Sony could easily add this to the firmware, so the more people complaining the better. I suspect they want to save this feature, along with more robust flash control, for the A99.

Ralf B
Ralf B Veteran Member • Posts: 8,097

Prognathous wrote:

Ralf Bliesener wrote:

I see. Can you explain how and when is this lack of control significant?

Some points given above already. Add as examples (list is non-conclusive, just some initial ideas):

• camera is in remote distance so changing exposure parameters is simply not possible for the cam operator

• camera is close to something shy (wildlife) and you want to control more than just the shutter release, but approaching the camera kills the picture opportunity.

I am bummed that Sony skipped the possible killer app of life view including exposure effects and maybe even DOF control in tethered shooting on their enthusiast APS-C model. They have the opportunity with a powerful remote control SW to "outsource" the EVF and user control to the user's computer, to make it even more useful than on the a700. a850 and a900 which all lack the life view.

It is a unique opportunity. Not as great a miss as leaving out MLU in their bread and butter DSRL, but a missed opportunity for something like.no.other nevertheless.
--
Ralf
http://RalfRalph.smugmug.com/

Ralf B's gear list:Ralf B's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha a99 Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM +14 more
LowRyter Contributing Member • Posts: 796

barreto_co wrote:

Chimere wrote:

Can somebody of take time and explain what "tethering" is, and what the typical work environment would be to request such control ?

Tethering is when the camera is connected to a computer for shutter release and for image capturing and storing. The camera and the computer is connected via a USB or firewire cord.

There are various software applications that allow you to do this such as Adobe Lightroom and for the professional, Phase One Capture One.

That means that you can sit in the computer, click a button the the screen and the camera will fire, capture the image, send it to the computer, show a large preview on screen and store the RAW file in the computer or external hard drive.

It makes working in the studio with the client a great deal easier. It also helps when testing the light.

I am also gutted that the A77 does not have tethered shooting. I do hope that the upcoming FF cameras have that in them as I can imagined that the A900 replacement wouldn't.

my a100 does this?

LowRyter's gear list:LowRyter's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony SLT-A57 Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Sony DT 18-70mm F3.5-5.6 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads