HELP- On my T2i, Sigma 70-300 DL macro gives error 01( ahh i want to use it) :(

Started Jan 7, 2012 | Discussions
AmmAr Shareef Junior Member • Posts: 37
HELP- On my T2i, Sigma 70-300 DL macro gives error 01( ahh i want to use it) :(

I have got Sigma 70-300 f4-5.6 DL MACRO from somewhere, i want to use it on my Canon EOS 550D but whenever i take a picture from it, it says Error 01 "Communication b/w camera and lens is faulty, clean the lens contacts"

After the error its unable to use any camera function of camera, the only way left is to restart (on/off) the camera, Although the picture taken remains in memory.
It doesn't give any error in vdo mode neither in clicking during vdo recording.

Is their any way (Through any Converter or Repairing or anything possible) to remove this error and make it compatible with my T2i . its I.Q is amazing i desperately want to use it. plz help
--
AmmAr

Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
WilbaW
WilbaW Forum Pro • Posts: 11,599
Re: HELP- On my T2i, Sigma 70-300 DL macro gives error 01( ahh i want to use it) :(

Have you tried cleaning the lens contacts?

If you take off the lens and look at the mount you'll see seven gold rectangles. Wrap the lens in a lint-free cloth to prevent anything getting on the glass, then rub the contacts with an eraser. Do the same kind of thing on the corresponding contacts on the body. Just make sure nothing gets into the mirror box and no rubber crumbs are left anywhere on the lens or body.

-- hide signature --

Check out the unofficial Rebel forum FAQ - http://snipurl.com/RebelFAQ

WilbaW's gear list:WilbaW's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 7D Mark II
OP AmmAr Shareef Junior Member • Posts: 37
Re: HELP- On my T2i, Sigma 70-300 DL macro gives error 01( ahh i want to use it) :(

WilbaW wrote:

Have you tried cleaning the lens contacts?

Yup , dude i have tried it several times with various techniques of cleaning the contacts but it didn't worked

If you take off the lens and look at the mount you'll see seven gold rectangles. Wrap the lens in a lint-free cloth to prevent anything getting on the glass, then rub the contacts with an eraser. Do the same kind of thing on the corresponding contacts on the body. Just make sure nothing gets into the mirror box and no rubber crumbs are left anywhere on the lens or body.
Also tried this one now but still having the same problem

-- hide signature --

AmmAr

AndrewIC Forum Member • Posts: 85

AmmAr Shareef wrote:

I have got Sigma 70-300 f4-5.6 DL MACRO from somewhere, i want to use it on my Canon EOS 550D but whenever i take a picture from it, it says Error 01 "Communication b/w camera and lens is faulty, clean the lens contacts"

If it's a film-era Sigma lens, it may not be fully compatible with modern digital bodies - I have an old Sigma 70-210 that is similarly afflicted. The main limitation is that you must use the lens wide-open. To make sure this is the case, go to Av mode, zoom out to 70mm, and set the aperture to 4.0. Then, shoot away. The aperture value will increase as you zoom in and decrease again as you zoom out, but that's okay - it's always set to whatever wide-open is for the current focal length. If you need to be able to control the shutter speed, use M mode instead of Tv - set the aperture to f/4 at 70mm, then set the shutter speed to suit as you would in Tv mode.

(The other limitation, if you're wondering, is that in Live View mode, using 'AF Live' auto-focus might be inaccurate - switch to 'AF Quick' mode.)

Lemming51
Lemming51 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,223
ditto. the DL is a pre-2002 lens that Sigma got the communication wrong.

See - http://photonotes.org/articles/beginner-faq/lenses.html#compatibilitythirdparty

Sigma used to have an offer to upgrade the electronics of these lenses, but I'm sure that's long expired. They may offer you a reasonable trade-in for the old lens for the current Sigma 70-300 f/4-5.6 DG Macro.

AndrewIC wrote:

AmmAr Shareef wrote:

If it's a film-era Sigma lens, it may not be fully compatible with modern digital bodies - I have an old Sigma 70-210 that is similarly afflicted. The main limitation is that you must use the lens wide-open. To make sure this is the case, go to Av mode, zoom out to 70mm, and set the aperture to 4.0. Then, shoot away. The aperture value will increase as you zoom in and decrease again as you zoom out, but that's okay - it's always set to whatever wide-open is for the current focal length. If you need to be able to control the shutter speed, use M mode instead of Tv - set the aperture to f/4 at 70mm, then set the shutter speed to suit as you would in Tv mode.

(The other limitation, if you're wondering, is that in Live View mode, using 'AF Live' auto-focus might be inaccurate - switch to 'AF Quick' mode.)

-- hide signature --

Unapologetic Canon Apologist

Lemming51's gear list:Lemming51's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +5 more
martar001 New Member • Posts: 1

I had similar problem with my tamron 17-50 on 450D. I set aperture to 32 and take a picture. For more than a year everything is OK.

brightcolours Forum Pro • Posts: 15,883
Like others have pointed out:

The lens is electrically incompatible, and can not shut its aperture without the camera blocking with an err 01 lens error or err99 on older DSLRs.

You can only use it wide open.

AmmAr Shareef wrote:

After the error its unable to use any camera function of camera, the only way left is to restart (on/off) the camera, Although the picture taken remains in memory.
It doesn't give any error in vdo mode neither in clicking during vdo recording.

Is their any way (Through any Converter or Repairing or anything possible) to remove this error and make it compatible with my T2i . its I.Q is amazing i desperately want to use it. plz help

No. You can't repair it. No, you can't convert it.

And the IQ is not amazing at all, the IQ of that particular lens is best described as pretty shitty (I know, I had one too from the film era).

The cheapest thing for you to do its to locate an old Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 APO DG Macro. It betters the DL lens considerably in the long end, and gives no err 01's since its electronics are newer and play nice with the DSLRs. They should be really cheap.

Alternatively, get an even better Canon EF 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM, or Tamron 70-300mm VC USD. Both are considerably more expensive than the above mentioned Sigma, but have better IQ (especially in the long end) still and offer image stabilization. The Sigma's 70-300 APO DG Macro's two plusses over these two are only: price and its 1:2 macro ability.

Not similar.

martar001 wrote:

I had similar problem with my tamron 17-50 on 450D. I set aperture to 32 and take a picture. For more than a year everything is OK.

Your Tamron just had a glitch. This Sigma is electrically incompatible. Not a glitch. No dirty contacts. Just not compatible.

Paul Stuckless Regular Member • Posts: 363
Re: Like others have pointed out:

I just had a similar error 01 with the T2i and the canon 17-85 EFS lens. The odd thing was that when I was up close to my subject and using the wide angle, the camera gave me the infamous err01. If I moved further away from the subject and zoomed in, then the camera took the picture. I think it is a software issue with the T2i personally. Anyone else notice this?
--
Paul S.
http://www.pbase.com/paul_stuckless

Re: Like others have pointed out:

Paul Stuckless wrote:

I just had a similar error 01 with the T2i and the canon 17-85 EFS lens. The odd thing was that when I was up close to my subject and using the wide angle, the camera gave me the infamous err01. If I moved further away from the subject and zoomed in, then the camera took the picture. I think it is a software issue with the T2i personally. Anyone else notice this?

It is not a software issue. The 17-85mm IS can develop a break in the flatband cable that routes the signals from the camera contacts to the lens electronics. You putting the lens in wide angle apparently breaks the contact, while at the zoomed position the contact is made again.

You will need to have a service center replace the cable, then the lens will function again as it should.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads