Corel buys Bibble Labs, Bibble Pro discontinued

Started Jan 7, 2012 | Discussions
bob elkind Veteran Member • Posts: 5,815
Corel buys Bibble Labs, Bibble Pro discontinued

Announcement here:
http://support.bibblelabs.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=99&t=19655
--
Bob Elkind

Family, mostly sports. Seriously, folks, I'm not that good. If I can do it, you can do it!
photo galleries at http://eteam.zenfolio.com
my relationship with my camera is strictly photonic

bob elkind's gear list:bob elkind's gear list
Nikon D700 Canon EOS 500D Nikon D600 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +5 more
lutz Senior Member • Posts: 1,112
Re: Corel buys Bibble Labs, Bibble Pro discontinued

Thanks for the news.
Hopefully a good sign for Bibble.

gho64 Forum Member • Posts: 79

Thank you for the update. I will miss Bibble software as it existed.
--
gho64

Toermalijn
Toermalijn Forum Pro • Posts: 16,081

They might want to integrate some features of the product into their own software!

That's what mostly happens when a company buys another competitor.

brucet
brucet Veteran Member • Posts: 3,402

I use Bibble 5 and PSPx4. I can just imagine a package that can rival Photoshop and ACR for a fraction of the price. All it needs is Corel to get serious!

brucet's gear list:brucet's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
fuego6
fuego6 Senior Member • Posts: 2,348

brucet wrote:

I use Bibble 5 and PSPx4. I can just imagine a package that can rival Photoshop and ACR for a fraction of the price. All it needs is Corel to get serious!

Or to become bloatware ala PSP once Corel bought it from Jasc... at least the product will have the attention it deserves from Corel and perhaps they will even include DNG support (non-native).. who knows how it will play out ...

Toermalijn

Or, what also happens, they just illiminated a competitor. That is what Adobe is doing...Buy software with potential, include it, or kill it. Both ways work for them.

fuego6 wrote:

brucet wrote:

Or to become bloatware ala PSP once Corel bought it from Jasc... at least the product will have the attention it deserves from Corel and perhaps they will even include DNG support (non-native).. who knows how it will play out ...

tex Veteran Member • Posts: 7,927
WOW! i think this is great news

all you Corel haters (you've never used Painter) can stop reading now.

Why I think this is great news:

1. Bibble will make PSPX.x better, no question---raw conversion alone. It's already a fine product for the price. With Bibble included I'd be happy to pay more for it. After all, I only paid about 60 bux for the last iteration of PSP.

2. Corel will help Bibble. You JASC guys can say what you want---like I said you probably haven't used Painter, but Corel is a multi software company that has the resources to put products into big box chains. This is still the way a lot of consumers get stuff, those beyond our photo enthusiast lunatic fringe(we're just like the tea party in that regard).

3. Any better success Corel achieves means more market pressure on Adobe, which means falling prices for Adobe products.

So, good news for us even if you don't like Corel....
--
tex_andrews

"Photography is the product of complete alienation" Marcel Proust

"I would like to see photography make people despise painting until something else will make photography unbearable." Marcel Duchamp

tex's gear list:tex's gear list
Pentax 645Z Pentax K-1 Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +29 more
GAREB Veteran Member • Posts: 3,662
Re: WOW! i think this is great news

Tex, just how long have you been using Painter? I have used every version there is and Painter 12 is a joke, so much so I went back to using Painter X. Corel really messed up painter big time and I'm sorry you can not see that, but those who prefer Jasco's version do have legit arguments. I have seen Painter just getting worse and worse year after year and I have just about stopped using it and just use either TwistedBrush or Photoshop because Painter has just gone downhill. Of course that is only my opinion, just like you have your opinion, to each their own, but I think you will fid that most of those who prefer Jasco's version are long time users and have used Painter along time.
JD

Richard Townsend Regular Member • Posts: 104

I see the Corel website is featuring a product called "AfterShot Pro" which looks remarkably like Bibble.

fuego6

Sure.. either way, most likely the consumer loses..

Toermalijn wrote:

Or, what also happens, they just illiminated a competitor. That is what Adobe is doing...Buy software with potential, include it, or kill it. Both ways work for them.

fuego6 wrote:

brucet wrote:

fuego6

amazing!

Allen Gerdes Veteran Member • Posts: 5,638

It looks interesting, depending on what the cost finally ends up being. Here is a link to a tutorial. which gives one an idea of its capabilities: http://vimeo.com/34496271

Regards...Allen

Toermalijn
Re: WOW! i think this is great news

Yes, i have used painter, i still use painter and i still own painter.

So, what has painter to do with this?!

tex wrote:

all you Corel haters (you've never used Painter) can stop reading now.

Why I think this is great news:

1. Bibble will make PSPX.x better, no question---raw conversion alone. It's already a fine product for the price. With Bibble included I'd be happy to pay more for it. After all, I only paid about 60 bux for the last iteration of PSP.

2. Corel will help Bibble. You JASC guys can say what you want---like I said you probably haven't used Painter, but Corel is a multi software company that has the resources to put products into big box chains. This is still the way a lot of consumers get stuff, those beyond our photo enthusiast lunatic fringe(we're just like the tea party in that regard).

3. Any better success Corel achieves means more market pressure on Adobe, which means falling prices for Adobe products.

So, good news for us even if you don't like Corel....
--
tex_andrews

"Photography is the product of complete alienation" Marcel Proust

"I would like to see photography make people despise painting until something else will make photography unbearable." Marcel Duchamp

brucet
brucet Veteran Member • Posts: 3,402

FWIW the tutorial has some German text?

There's no doubt it is Bibble.

brucet's gear list:brucet's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
exdeejjjaaaa
exdeejjjaaaa Veteran Member • Posts: 8,263

Corel AfterShot Pro = http://www.corel.com/corel/product/index.jsp?pid=prod4670071

"...To purchase the upgrade version of this product, you must own a previous licensed version of: Bibble Pro or Lite 5, Corel® Paint Shop Pro® Photo X2 or higher, Adobe® Lightroom® or Apple® Aperture®...."

$99 - new, $79 - upgrade

exdeejjjaaaa's gear list:exdeejjjaaaa's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Phase One Capture One Pro +25 more
fuego6

brucet wrote:

\

Yes - they basically took the product, slapped a different name on it and is now selling it as AfterShot PRO... like the name much better than Bibble... but its the next iteration that will tell the tale... and how it integrates into PSP... if they can build the RAW editor right into PSP and sell it as a PRO version... they might have a winner... who knows...

Toermalijn

They might...

fuego6 wrote:

brucet wrote:

\

Yes - they basically took the product, slapped a different name on it and is now selling it as AfterShot PRO... like the name much better than Bibble... but its the next iteration that will tell the tale... and how it integrates into PSP... if they can build the RAW editor right into PSP and sell it as a PRO version... they might have a winner... who knows...

Marcin 3M
Marcin 3M Senior Member • Posts: 1,609

It MAY be a great news.

I'm really frightened by the latest Adobe announcements - expensive "cloud", upgrade costs increase...
It's good to know that there's an option to switch.

Crossing my fingers and waiting for the next steps in their's software developments.
--
Marcin_3M

Marcin 3M's gear list:Marcin 3M's gear list
Epson Stylus Pro 3880 Adobe Photoshop CS6 Nik Capture NX Phase One Capture One Pro Portrait Professional Studio 64 +1 more
OP bob elkind Veteran Member • Posts: 5,815
AfterShot may be a needed step forward

I've been a Bibble Pro user for at least 6 years. I downloaded the free 30-day trial edition of AfterShot, and it has most of the look and feel of Bibble. The minor UI changes are for the better -- but they are still minor. The big gains are to be had in reliability.

Bibble 5 has been notorious for crashing if there are 100 or more image files in the active folder, or if you initiate the wrong sequence of processes too quickly. I expect to restart Bibble 4 or 5 times in the course of processing 150-200 image files.

Corel can provide some needed rigour in software discipline and pre-release product testing. The AfterShot trial has already proven itself -- to me, at least -- to be more robust and sturdy on my system than Bibble Pro 5.2.2. That's a significant and useful step forward.

fuego6 wrote:

Yes - they basically took the product, slapped a different name on it and is now selling it as AfterShot PRO.

-- hide signature --

Bob Elkind

Family, mostly sports. Seriously, folks, I'm not that good. If I can do it, you can do it!
photo galleries at http://eteam.zenfolio.com
my relationship with my camera is strictly photonic

bob elkind's gear list:bob elkind's gear list
Nikon D700 Canon EOS 500D Nikon D600 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads