D4 official samples (full size jpg)

Started Jan 6, 2012 | Discussions
Donald Chin
Donald Chin Veteran Member • Posts: 5,757
D4 official samples (full size jpg)

ISO 6400

ISO 100

Nikon D4
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
derrickdiamante
derrickdiamante Regular Member • Posts: 169
Re: D4 official samples (full size jpg)

These look great!

derrickdiamante's gear list:derrickdiamante's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Sony RX100 Sony RX100 III Sony RX100 V Nikon D300 +14 more
kuklukklak Junior Member • Posts: 37

OMG. Stunning Iso performance. Iso 6400 looks like 800 on my Canon 60d.

Iso 100 is not impressive as the resolution is just mediorce. But that iso 6400 is killer.

Auke B van der Weide Contributing Member • Posts: 509

amazing, what more do you need...... goodbye tripod, hello milkyway

mulder 1361 Regular Member • Posts: 223

Agree that 100 iso is ok but 6400 is incredible. Im all in. Thank you Nikon. I can go dx and still get 7 mp at 1.6 crop. Sweet-Regards

Kweide
Kweide Senior Member • Posts: 1,787

The Nikon decision to NOT follow the MP war ist so great. 16 Mpix looks very good. Even at ISO6400. Well done Nikon !

see more of my work on http://www.klaweide.de ( some NSFW )

Kweide's gear list:Kweide's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Fujifilm X-E2 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +16 more
joeyv Contributing Member • Posts: 587

Wow!!! Is that where we are now technology-wise! Iso 6400 that looks like iso 400-800 just a few years back. Proof that technology improves exponentially! I disagree with the others re. iso 100 quality. Look at the gradations in white and black. Beautiful tonality.
--
joeyv

Deleted-pending Senior Member • Posts: 2,665
Nikon uses In raw PP

& noise reduction. I enlarged several high iso pictures coming from my new D5100 and you can clearly see the post treatment in the fine details and textures, the same you get when you use a professional noise reduction filter on Photoshop. My D40X files may look 1 stop grainier @ the same settings, but more detailed than the D5100. When applying noise reduction software, using the per tone-channel setting, it looks the same then on the D5100. PS : ALL de-noise filters were off in the D5100.

I guess Nikon uses the same in raw PP trick on the D4.

I doubt the D4 will produce better stills than the D3. They will be equally as good.

The samples look good but not totally impressive regarding medium format or Leica S9 files. Also, keep in mind that most of the samples were shot with controlled light @ 100 ISO.

Event_shooter Senior Member • Posts: 1,083
Re: Nikon uses In raw PP

Looks like the D3s people WILL be buying the D4 after all.
The D4 is the D3s on Steroids.

Looks like the D4 will definitely be my last camera, who needs more than what this thing will put out.

AMAZING samples.

When you can see black heads and pimples in the pores of the models I think the resolution is there.

Most (2 images) were at 6400 and looked incredible to say the least. At least 1 stop above the great D3,s. As you know the d3,s is 1 stop above the D3 also. -Regards

Exactly ,its simply incredible. At 6400 with little to no loss of detail ,color rez ,dr . Simply incredible. To boot ,I can now go to dx crop and get 1.6 factor with 7.2 mp with same quality ,sick!- Regards

Hulamike
Hulamike Senior Member • Posts: 2,810

Get a D7000 then and save $5000.

korayus Regular Member • Posts: 120

Unfortunately I didn't like ISO 100 performance. Not sharp! Which lens is used? Strangely I think my D700 takes better in terms of sharpness. Maybe we will need new pro series lenses for 16MP and up...

coudet Veteran Member • Posts: 4,141

korayus wrote:

Unfortunately I didn't like ISO 100 performance. Not sharp!

Remember you're looking at heavily compressed JPEGs..

Maybe we will need new pro series lenses for 16MP and up...

Nope.

fabgo Senior Member • Posts: 1,300
I'm underwhelmed...

How is this any better than the D3s, as far as high-ISO performance goes? If I already had a D3s, I would likely skip this camera unless I really needed the HD video.

This seems like a minor upgrade compared to the D3s.

Contrast this to the previous new Nikon flagships:

D2h/x -> D3
D3 -> D3s

Both were huge leaps forward.

This one? Not so much.

-- hide signature --

Fabian

thomas2279f
thomas2279f Veteran Member • Posts: 3,319

Agree extremely excellent upto 6400, 12800 usable and above that from the early samples only in real emergencies and PP/ noise reduction needed.

Although if we wait 2 years then the D4s will be one step better than the original D4 lol....

thomas2279f's gear list:thomas2279f's gear list
Nikon D800 Sony a5000 Nikon D7200 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 +25 more
260684 Senior Member • Posts: 1,909
Re: I'm underwhelmed...

fabgo wrote:

How is this any better than the D3s, as far as high-ISO performance goes? If I already had a D3s, I would likely skip this camera unless I really needed the HD video.

D2h/x -> D3
D3 -> D3s

This one? Not so much.

Agree, but there aren't as many leaps to be made in terms of ISO due to the D3s being extremely efficient. I'd have liked to have seen a true 25800 mode and not the silly amplified stuff.

Lea5
Lea5 Contributing Member • Posts: 686
heavy noise reduction...

on the 6400 image. Doesn't look good. No detail.

fabgo wrote:

D2h/x -> D3
D3 -> D3s

This one? Not so much.

Lea5's gear list:Lea5's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Nikon D800E Sony a7R II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II +10 more
260684 Senior Member • Posts: 1,909

mulder 1361 wrote:

Agree that 100 iso is ok but 6400 is incredible. Im all in. Thank you Nikon. I can go dx and still get 7 mp at 1.6 crop. Sweet-Regards

To be honest, doesn't look much better than the 700 as 6400. (certainly not 5 grand better £) Remember the light will affect how 6400 looks too...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads