Lens for new 7D

Started Jan 6, 2012 | Discussions
vadimgot Junior Member • Posts: 40
Lens for new 7D

Coming from Nikon I am about to order Canon 7D for testing . What general purpose zoom lens plus prime (35 or 50 mm) would you recommend to get as a starter ? Is kit lens 18-135mm or 28-135mm a good choice ? Price range up to $400 - $500.

I had Nikon D7000 and kit lens was not great on that body, so I am wary about getting optimal lens to test full capacity of new camera.

Canon EOS 7D Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Torkn Photo Forum Member • Posts: 56
Re: Lens for new 7D

I recommend that you budget:

• 30% for camera bodies

• 50% for lenses

• 20% for accessories (tripod, flash, filters, bag)

The 600D/T3i has the exact same image quality as the 7D, and actually better video capability. It may allow more room in your budget for better lenses.

As for zoom lenses I recommend:

• EFS 10-22mm

• EFS 17-55 f2.8

• EFS 15-85

• Any L lens, except wide angle (they are good, but you are wasting a lot of money putting them on a crop sensor as a lot of engineering went into providing a large image circle that is completely wasted on APS-C - if you covet the wide L lenses, I suggest to save up for a 5D Mk II).

If your budget doesn't extend to these suggestions, you may as well buy the camera with the kit 18-55 IS and 55-250 IS lens pair. Very inexpensive, and just as good as any Canon zoom priced less than my suggestions.

The 7D is much better than the 600D for focus speed (flying birds, sports) and frame rate (sports). But for most other purposes the 600D is comparable. Don't get me wrong - I love my 7D - but the 7D is not a beginner friendly camera, and is not "best" for everyone.

Calliope
Calliope Senior Member • Posts: 1,536

If you can stretch your budget a little more you might like the EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM. I have been very happy with mine so far. It is a great all around lens and not too heavy. I think B&H has it for $659. You are going to love the 7D.

Calliope's gear list:Calliope's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L USM +5 more
Keith Z Leonard Veteran Member • Posts: 6,134

The 7D is a semi-pro camera and worthy of more performance than either of those lenses offer. From Canon the 2 would be the 17-55 f2.8 IS USM or the 15-85 f3.5-5.6 IS USM. I chose the Sigma 17-50 f2.8 OS HSM which is also very good, but all of these lenses are above your budget.

It seems odd to put a 300$ kit zoom lens on a camera like the 7D, it certainly won't give you valid test results to put a sub-par lens on this camera.

For 50mm prime you have choices ranging from the very cheap (100$) 50mm f1.8 II which is very sharp from 2.8 on all the way to the 1500$ 50mm f1.2 L. I have both the 50 f1.8 II and the Sigma 50mm f1.4 HSM, which I think gives a great price/performance but is also by itself above your budget. The Sigma 30mm f1.4 is well thought of and the Canon 35mm f2 is within your reach.

I'm not sure what to suggest to you on that budget for testing, as to do the 7D justice you need a sharp lens with good auto focus. The 7D has a high performance AF system and testing it with the nifty fifty won't give you meaningful AF test results.

Keith Z Leonard's gear list:Keith Z Leonard's gear list
Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EOS 400D +16 more
Ennsp
Ennsp New Member • Posts: 16

It might be smart to ask what kind of photography you are interested in.

I have found the Canon 10-22 excellent for creative landscape photography and generally a good teaching lens for discovering how to position your camera in a setting.

All purpose and moderate zoom try the EFS IS 18-85 zoom for all purpose

I have been packing the 10-22 wide angle and the EF 28-135 lens for moderate zoom range on my 7D

But by far my all time favorite fun lens has to be the Canon 100-400 L for wildlife and sports photography. Many think the long zooms should be reserved for sports and wildlife, but I often use it for creative landscape

Once you end up buying the 7D lock yourself up in a room for a few days and read the owners manual before starting to shoot...especially if you want to get creative and expand your photo abilities above the automatic settings...
--
Paul Enns

Ennsp's gear list:Ennsp's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II
OP vadimgot Junior Member • Posts: 40

My primary subject is my fast moving kids, so fast focus is the key. I was happy with D7000 AF-C performance where I could get good shot on running kids in low light.

Skin tones, over-exposure and back focusing made me decide to sell it and try Canon 7D instead. This is why good lens is extremely important during trial period. I will extend my budget if I have to, but I was not prepared to pay $700 for my first lens.

Would Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS SLR or 50mm prime be a good choice ? Is it better than 18-135 or 28-135 that is offered with the body ?

brent collins Senior Member • Posts: 2,182

Testing? So if you don't like it you will send it back? No offense, but that sound pretty lame. The 7D? It's a solid camera, but it won't help you take better pix. As for the lenses, don't buy cheap. If your budget is low then buy a lesser body and put the big $ into a great lens. Maybe a good prime or L series zoom like the 24-70L 2.8.

I own several L series lenses, several non L primes and the kit lens. I gave the kit lens away. If I had to own one or two they would be the 24-70 and maybe the 50 1.4 or the 85 1.8

Either way I think you might want to consider another body and save a few $

wcrosman Contributing Member • Posts: 833

My kit includes
7D

10-22 EFS
60mm EFS
60 1.8 (nifty fifty)
24-70 F2.8L
70-300 f4-5.6 (not L)
and a Kenko 1.4 tele converter

I love the 24-70 as my walk around lens.

It replaced a Tamron 28-75 F2.8 which for the money was very good.
--
T---
http://www.crosman.org
http://www.portfolio-shots.com

tonyjr
tonyjr Veteran Member • Posts: 5,288

18-55 , 55-250 .
--
1st it's a hobby
7D gripped XTI gripped
Canon - efs 10-22 , 17-55 , ef 18-55 IS
EF 28-90 , 28 @ 2.8 , 50 @1.8 , 28-135 IS
L's 35-350 , 70-200 MK II IS
Quantaray lens 70-300 macro
Sigma 135 - 400 , 180 MACRO
2X III , Life Size converter
KSM filters for all
kenko auto tubes , EF 25

tonyjr's gear list:tonyjr's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +14 more

brent collins wrote:

Testing? So if you don't like it you will send it back? No offense, but that sound pretty lame. The 7D? It's a solid camera, but it won't help you take better pix. As for the lenses, don't buy cheap. If your budget is low then buy a lesser body and put the big $ into a great lens. Maybe a good prime or L series zoom like the 24-70L 2.8.

I own several L series lenses, several non L primes and the kit lens. I gave the kit lens away. If I had to own one or two they would be the 24-70 and maybe the 50 1.4 or the 85 1.8

Either way I think you might want to consider another body and save a few $

Not offended. What's wrong with testing ? How else would I know if it fits my needs ? If you buy and do not like something you return, sell or through it out.

On the subject - my main concern is fast and accurate focus. I got spoiled by Nikon D7000 AF, tried my friend's Canon 60D with 18-200 lens and AF was not anywhere close to D7000. Read good things about 7D AF system, that's why looking into it. Thanks for lens recommendation.

puttin
puttin Veteran Member • Posts: 7,728

The 50 f1.8 is a sharp lens and only around $125
Cheap 18-55 new version under $200 and it gets good marks

puttin's gear list:puttin's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Canon G9 X II Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +22 more
rcower Senior Member • Posts: 1,404

15-85 spends a lot of time on my 7d. it's a very good lens.

brent collins Senior Member • Posts: 2,182

Because it hurts the retailer and in the end all of us. It's not like a car where a test drive is accepted as normal business. Instead of passing the loss onto the seller by forcing them to either sell it used or worse repackage as new to another buyer, why not rent one. Should only need a matter of days to decide. Rent both, camera and lens.

brent collins wrote:

Because it hurts the retailer and in the end all of us. It's not like a car where a test drive is accepted as normal business. Instead of passing the loss onto the seller by forcing them to either sell it used or worse repackage as new to another buyer, why not rent one. Should only need a matter of days to decide. Rent both, camera and lens.

Fair comment. But I am not buying with intent to return, I want to keep it and that's why asking for help here which will allow me to get conclusive results. I am also prepared to take a loss of restocking fee if seller charges it.
In any case, where can I rent ?

Keith Z Leonard Veteran Member • Posts: 6,134

Lensrentals.com, there are several places actually.....

Again putting a rebel kit lens with micro motor AF onto the 7D won't give you the fast AF you are looking for. The 50 f1.8 is a great lens for the money but it's weak points by far are build quality and AF performance.

Keith Z Leonard's gear list:Keith Z Leonard's gear list
Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EOS 400D +16 more

Keith Z Leonard wrote:

Lensrentals.com, there are several places actually.....

Again putting a rebel kit lens with micro motor AF onto the 7D won't give you the fast AF you are looking for. The 50 f1.8 is a great lens for the money but it's weak points by far are build quality and AF performance.

Thanks. So, out of those listed above what would be good for AF performance on 7D ? Any of those would do ?
canon 17-55 f2.8
canon 15-85

Dudleyrose Regular Member • Posts: 109

vadimgot wrote:

Would Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS SLR or 50mm prime be a good choice ? Is it better than 18-135 or 28-135 that is offered with the body ?

I would reiterate the OP's worry about lower quality lenses on the 7D. The EFs 17-55 f/2.8 IS is going to be hard to beat for fast moving kids, especially indoors. The EFs 15-85 IS is a decent compromise, but is a slower lens. That may not be a problem if the lower f/stops have too shallow a depth of field for you.

The 18-135 lens has pretty mediocre image quality and the venerable 28-135 is a much better zoom range on a full-frame camera. For what it's worth.

Dudleyrose's gear list:Dudleyrose's gear list
Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 G2 +2 more
redstone1 New Member • Posts: 19

What about a 24-105L and Tokina 11-16 2.8; over budget but may be worth waiting for.

redstone1's gear list:redstone1's gear list
Panasonic G85 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS
The_cheshirecat Senior Member • Posts: 1,169

vadimgot wrote:

My primary subject is my fast moving kids, so fast focus is the key. I was happy with D7000 AF-C performance where I could get good shot on running kids in low light.

Skin tones, over-exposure and back focusing made me decide to sell it and try Canon 7D instead. This is why good lens is extremely important during trial period. I will extend my budget if I have to, but I was not prepared to pay $700 for my first lens.

A good portion of the AF speed is attributable to the lens, and influenced by capabilities of the camera body. 7D does provide faster focusing than the lower grades of bodies, but putting the 18-55 or 55-250 lenses on it you won’t think so.

To get a true assessment of the speed to AF and quality or capability of the camera use one of the better fast L lenses, like the 70-200 2.8 IS mkII. I know it makes the “test” expensive. But if you put anything less on it you are no longer testing just the camera.

-- hide signature --

I started in the 50's - my first picture was taken with a Leica and hooked me for life. I no longer use my Leicas, but I am still taking pictures. Some things never change.

The_cheshirecat's gear list:The_cheshirecat's gear list
Canon PowerShot D10 Canon EOS 450D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 600mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +1 more
michi098 Contributing Member • Posts: 555

I think the 15-85 would be a great lens for you to start with. The 7D is a great camera, but as with any camera, you should put some good glass on it. As others have mentioned, make sure that whatever lens you get, it has a USM focusing motor, since that seems to be your primary concern. The 17-55 2.8 would also help your indoor kid tracking. The budget lenses you have listed probably won't make you happy in the long run. You should really try to wait until you have the money to get a slightly better lens like the two I mentioned here.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads