What's a 1" sensor? 1.5"?

Started Jan 5, 2012 | Discussions
PeterNMIF Senior Member • Posts: 2,438
What's a 1" sensor? 1.5"?

I'm confused by the references in one of the rumor sites about a new G-series camera with a 1.5" sensor. I've never heard of a sensor referred to that way. They also said the current G-series is 1". But I only think of the current G and S seriea as 1/1.7" sensor. Where would 1" come from.

My only idea on this is that the current sensor measures about 7.5mm x 5.5mm. If you add up all 4 sides that gives you 26mm which is about 1". Is that where it comes from?

With the same logic, the new Nikon 3x crop camera (J1, V1) has a 44mm total dimension (add four sides of a 13.2mm x 8.8mm sensor) would be a 1.7". So if what I am speculating about is correct, the new G-series camera will have a sensor just barely smaller than the Nikon J1.

Now, it they would just drop the OVF and replace it with a 100% coverage EVF.... (of course, your mileage may vary.)

Peter F.
--
Blog and Zenfolio-sponsored galleries at:
http://www.peterfraileyphoto.com/

PeterNMIF's gear list:PeterNMIF's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 NEX5R Sony Alpha NEX-6 +1 more
Nikon 1 J1 Nikon 1 V1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Higgins2002
Higgins2002 Contributing Member • Posts: 765
Re: What's a 1" sensor? 1.5"?

PeterNMIF wrote:

I'm confused by the references in one of the rumor sites about a new G-series camera with a 1.5" sensor. I've never heard of a sensor referred to that way. They also said the current G-series is 1". But I only think of the current G and S seriea as 1/1.7" sensor. Where would 1" come from.

My only idea on this is that the current sensor measures about 7.5mm x 5.5mm. If you add up all 4 sides that gives you 26mm which is about 1". Is that where it comes from?

With the same logic, the new Nikon 3x crop camera (J1, V1) has a 44mm total dimension (add four sides of a 13.2mm x 8.8mm sensor) would be a 1.7". So if what I am speculating about is correct, the new G-series camera will have a sensor just barely smaller than the Nikon J1.

Now, it they would just drop the OVF and replace it with a 100% coverage EVF.... (of course, your mileage may vary.)

Peter F.
--

they probably ment 1/1.5" = 2/3" = 8.8mm x 6.6mm = 58mm2 cropfactor 3.93

Higgins2002's gear list:Higgins2002's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM
mfbernstein Veteran Member • Posts: 6,518

PeterNMIF wrote:

No. It is a historical artifact of the way video cameras were designed and measured: http://www.dpreview.com/news/2002/10/7/sensorsizes

The Nikon 1-series uses a 1" sensor.

The G1X's 1.5" sensor would be slightly larger than the m4/3 sensor - roughly the same size as Sigma's Foveon X3 which has 1.7X crop and size of 13.8 x 20.7mm, or only slightly smaller than the sensor in Canon's APS-C DSLRs.

-- hide signature --

MFBernstein

'Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit.' - Ed Abbey

Joe Ogiba
Joe Ogiba Veteran Member • Posts: 4,627

mfbernstein wrote:

PeterNMIF wrote:

No. It is a historical artifact of the way video cameras were designed and measured: http://www.dpreview.com/news/2002/10/7/sensorsizes

The G1X's 1.5" sensor would be slightly larger than the m4/3 sensor - roughly the same size as Sigma's Foveon X3 which has 1.7X crop and size of 13.8 x 20.7mm, or only slightly smaller than the sensor in Canon's APS-C DSLRs.

"Update on sensor size

Most people seem to think the sensor size is actually 1/1.5″, which is still larger than the Nikon 1, yet smaller than m4/3."
http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/01/canon-powershot-g1x-revealed/

Joe Ogiba's gear list:Joe Ogiba's gear list
Sony RX10 III Sony a7R Samsung NX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Sony a6300 +1 more
dfbb Regular Member • Posts: 219

"Update on sensor size

Most people seem to think the sensor size is actually 1/1.5″, which is still larger than the Nikon 1, yet smaller than m4/3."

I think this is more realistic. If the sensor size would really be 1.5", the lens would have to be much larger than it was in the G12, especially when it starts at F/2.5. I think the size is 1/1.5", just like the Fuji X10.

ChristianHass Veteran Member • Posts: 3,232

Joe Ogiba wrote:

"Update on sensor size

How can 1/1.5" be larger than 1"? Makes no sense.

-- hide signature --

Shooting for fun and memories.

ChristianHass's gear list:ChristianHass's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony RX100 VI Fujifilm XF10 Sony a7R II
sarlo100 Senior Member • Posts: 1,323

ChristianHass wrote:

Joe Ogiba wrote:

"Update on sensor size

It's not. 1/1.5" is really 2/3" - the same size as the X10, and smaller than the 1" sensor in the Nikon 1. I still think that the 1.5" sensor is in play, because the X10 is a better camera than this camera is with a 2/3" sensor, and it's certainly better at a price point $200 less than this proposed G1X. The only way this camera becomes special is with the larger sensor.

sarlo100's gear list:sarlo100's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 350D Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Canon EF 35mm F2.0 +8 more
riveredger Veteran Member • Posts: 3,860

sarlo100 wrote:

ChristianHass wrote:

Joe Ogiba wrote:

"Update on sensor size

It's not. 1/1.5" is really 2/3" - the same size as the X10, and smaller than the 1" sensor in the Nikon 1. I still think that the 1.5" sensor is in play, because the X10 is a better camera than this camera is with a 2/3" sensor, and it's certainly better at a price point $200 less than this proposed G1X. The only way this camera becomes special is with the larger sensor.

how do you know the x10 is a better camera? seriously, that is just a silly thing to say.

Gao Gao Contributing Member • Posts: 582

Take the number, multiply by 0.7 and you get the sensor diagonal.

1.5" sensor is larger than 4/3 and smaller than APSc.

14.3MP 1.5" works out about the same pixel density as 18MP APSc.

-- hide signature --

. 。o O o 。 . 。o O o 。 . 。o O o 。 .

Peter G Veteran Member • Posts: 5,944
Its the old Video Tube measure, really ~2.2 crop factor.

It think this is that exaggerated Video Tube size measurement nonsense.

Translated it would be about:

16.2mm x 10.8mm, about 2.2 Crop Factor. Slightly smaller than 4:3 sensor.

Great size for fixed lens compact IMO.

I will be very interested to see how well Canon packages the body.

Peter G Veteran Member • Posts: 5,944
Ooops, 1.8 Crop by the fromula from wikipedia.

Peter G wrote:

Actually about 20mm x 13.3mm, and 1.8 Crop from the diagonal/16 formula.

migus Senior Member • Posts: 1,189
Re: Ooops, 1.8 Crop by the fromula from wikipedia.

Peter, my calculations for a 1.5" sensor in 4:3 format yield 19.2mm by 14.4mm => G1X

1.5" sensor has 24mm diagonal.
Next, solving

1) w^2 + h^2 = 24^2 , from the optical format definition, 1.5" x 16 = 24mm (imperial and metric in the same line...)

2) 3w = 4h (for a 4:3 format, instead of the 3:2 of APS and FF)

Id est, the G1X sensor is 19.2mm by 14.4mm, for a crop factor of 1.8x.
Mitch

Joe Ogiba wrote:
Ok Canon how did you measure 1.5" ?

Peter G wrote:

Peter G wrote:

Actually about 20mm x 13.3mm, and 1.8 Crop from the diagonal/16 formula.

pittguy53178 Contributing Member • Posts: 848
Same Size as Fuji X10?

Is it?

TucsonTacodog New Member • Posts: 24

Whole lot of speculating over very little fact. Why don't you wait until Canon actually announces the camera. Jeeze, you guys are worse than a bunch of old women.

-- hide signature --

TucsonTacodog @ Prickly Pear Central

Nell27
Nell27 Senior Member • Posts: 2,708

PeterNMIF wrote:

Peter F.
--

Well, after reading all the responses I think the answer to your question is: Nobody knows.

mpix345 Contributing Member • Posts: 784

TucsonTacodog wrote:

Whole lot of speculating over very little fact. Why don't you wait until Canon actually announces the camera. Jeeze, you guys are worse than a bunch of old women.

It's really just harmless discussion, and is actually probably educating some of us on the nuances of sensor size. Maybe you should go back to lurking rather than name-calling.

mpix345's gear list:mpix345's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Fujifilm X100T Nikon D600 Nikon 85mm F1.8G +1 more
RedFox88 Forum Pro • Posts: 30,685

mfbernstein wrote:

PeterNMIF wrote:

The G1X's 1.5" sensor would be slightly larger than the m4/3 sensor -

there is no m4/3 sensor size only the 4/3 sensor. It's only the mount that is different.

roughly the same size as Sigma's Foveon X3 which has 1.7X crop and size of 13.8 x 20.7mm, or only slightly smaller than the sensor in Canon's APS-C DSLRs.

-- hide signature --

MFBernstein

'Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit.' - Ed Abbey

jmcarp Regular Member • Posts: 279

Geez, all this talk about sensor sizes just convinces me that the industry needs to come up with a more logical standard of labeling sensor sizes. The current system is totally irrational. Why can't they just say X by Y mm and be done with it? And maybe throw in the aspect ratio and crop factor as supplemental info.

SHood Veteran Member • Posts: 5,949

I think Sensor area would be better since sensors can be 4:3 , 3:2 and maybe 16:9 one day.

jmcarp wrote:

Geez, all this talk about sensor sizes just convinces me that the industry needs to come up with a more logical standard of labeling sensor sizes. The current system is totally irrational. Why can't they just say X by Y mm and be done with it? And maybe throw in the aspect ratio and crop factor as supplemental info.

SHood's gear list:SHood's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Olympus 17mm F1.2 Pro
migus Senior Member • Posts: 1,189

engineering and marketing had 60 yrs. of this Vidicon non-sense (aka "optical format"), by now they got used to it, like they did w/ the imperial fractions...

the Vidicon sizing denomination requires solving a 2-equation system (size and form factor) for extracting W and H of a chip in mm. This pain is here to stay... the wise will pick up carefully battles worth fighting... Mitch

jmcarp wrote:

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads