considering sx40

Started Jan 4, 2012 | Discussions
jacqui2 Regular Member • Posts: 316
considering sx40

Hi, I have just sold my dslr as I have decided to go back to a superzoom. I have always had panasonics before, fz28 and fz38 and a fuji s100fs at one point as well. I was intending to go for the Panasonic fz150 but was finding it pretty hard to get and then came accross the sx40. Having read loads of reviews the last couple of days, and compared sample images, it looks to me that the sx40 has superb image quality and beats most other bridge cameras in low light/high iso, including the fz150. Would current sx40 owners agree or give there opinions on this. For example steves digicams sample images at 800/1600 etc between the two, the canon looks much better. I am into bird photography mostly, so full zoom image quality is pretty important, but I also like to take photos of my daughter at gigs (she is a singer) so good low light is a bonus as well. I have read lots of reviews but it would be great to get users opinions especially about full zoom, thanks in advance (sorry for the long post)
--
jacqui

jacqui2's gear list:jacqui2's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS
BobT Forum Pro • Posts: 13,116
Re: considering sx40

I recently had a similar dilemma, but mine was between the SX40 and Sony HX100V.

3 Sonys and 2 Canons later, the SX40 is a clear winner to me. Yes, I tried the Sony 3 times. But in the end, the Canon's quality images at the extreme tele end and it's capabilities of better higher ISOs won out. I had thought about the Panasonic FZ150, but no stores in my area had(or still have) one. I took the Canon SX40 on an extended "test drive", and on a day that was a real challenge (light-wise), and it did extremely well. So well, that I figured that maybe the Panny could do as well, but certainly no better; as the results were extremely good.

I do have a DSLR and a mere 3 lenses. Yet I'm constantly looking for a capable superzoom to replace it. I've been looking for a few years now, and feel the SX40 has come the closest to accomplishing that goal.

Do understand that I've only had my SX40 for a little over a week now, but so far, so VERY good. I highly recommend this wonderful camera.

BobT's gear list:BobT's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic FZ1000 Canon EOS 550D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +3 more
OP jacqui2 Regular Member • Posts: 316
Re: considering sx40

Thanks very much for your reply, good to hear from you as it sounds a very similar situation to mine, and the quality at full zoom is one of the most important things. Thanks for that
--
jacqui

Lucy Forum Pro • Posts: 31,077
Love mine!

I, too, have decided to return to a point and shoot....and after reading tons of reviews...got mine for my birthday and Christmas! I love it.

If you care to see some of my test shots and what I was able to get in low light without the use of flash, check this gallery: (for low light shots of Coyote Run, I used manual setting). http://www.pbase.com/lucy/canon_sx40_hs&page=all

I didn't do any post processing on the long zoom shots in the gallery...just been too busy lately.

-- hide signature --

Lucy
Oly cams and a Canon, too.
FCAS Member #98, Oly Division
'Photography is the art of seeing what others do not.'

Re: Love mine!

Hi, thanks for that, great photos, great low light! Think I might be ordering this camera tomorrow morning
--
jacqui

Mike Contributing Member • Posts: 783
Not me, not satisfied...

Could be just my copy...but it produces too much noise in odd places.

ISO 80, the noise could be in darker areas only, could be in more grey areas. I haven't figured out the reason.
And no, I haven't tried higher ISO values yet.

My old G11's pictures are MUCH nicer in every way, and more consistant.

I've thought about sending it to Canon, but I'm afraid it's just one of those hit and miss things...they'd miss..!

The colors, crispness, focus, etc. and everything else, are very nice though.

Mike

Re: Not me, not satisfied...

Well, I ordered sx40 last night from ukdigitalcameras and it should be delivered tomorrow morning, looking forward to it
--
jacqui

MOD Dale Buhanan Veteran Member • Posts: 4,268

Congratulations! I really hope you will enjoy your new camera. I surely like mine.

jacqui2 wrote:

Well, I ordered sx40 last night from ukdigitalcameras and it should be delivered tomorrow morning, looking forward to it
--
jacqui

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

Dale Buhanan's gear list:Dale Buhanan's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon G1 X II Canon EOS 70D Canon PowerShot SD500 Canon PowerShot G5 +35 more
Dan Hudson
Dan Hudson Contributing Member • Posts: 703

My SX40 HS does not have ISO 80. It begins at ISO 100.
--
Christian Amateur Photographer

Dan Hudson's gear list:Dan Hudson's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Canon PowerShot SX120 IS
Catboat Willy Regular Member • Posts: 152
Re: Not me, not satisfied...But then again

My SX 30 had ISO 80 but the new SX 40 starts at ISO 100. Can't see that's it's really much of a difference in the practical/real world.
Enjoy your new camera. I sure am.
Bill
--
I sure wished I knew today what I know I'm going to regret knowing tomorrow.

Panet
Panet Regular Member • Posts: 218

The image quality diference of SX40 versus FZ150, if any, is hard to find. For those who enjoy fast action photos, the edge goes to Pana (IMHO, 10+photos/second is maybe too fast). If birding or any other long range photos is your cup of tea, definitely SX40. I have used both, chose SX40.

Received my sx40 today, this time definately uk model, plus I realised the other one didn't have any security tabs on the box which the new one today had. It included all the right bits, 2 cds, ac lead etc. so much happier with this. Had a chance to go out for a while this afternoon with it to a local nature reserve and the weather was stunning! afternoon warm sunlight and from what I can tell so far, only looking on the lcd (haven't had a chance to put them on the pc yet) absolutely thrilled with it, full zoom small bird high up in the tree seems to have come out great and beautiful sunlit trees around lake etc. I am really impressed with the clear sharp photos at full zoom. It was so great to use as well. I have read a few things about slow focusing and was a bit worried about that but it was fine, no problem at all, even managed a couple of birds in flight, very impressed so far I will try to post a couple of photos when I have got them uploaded
--
jacqui

MOD Dale Buhanan Veteran Member • Posts: 4,268

That's wonderful Jaqui. I'm so glad that it worked out well and you got what you wanted to get. Sounds like it is working great!

jacqui2 wrote:

Received my sx40 today, this time definately uk model, plus I realised the other one didn't have any security tabs on the box which the new one today had. It included all the right bits, 2 cds, ac lead etc. so much happier with this. Had a chance to go out for a while this afternoon with it to a local nature reserve and the weather was stunning! afternoon warm sunlight and from what I can tell so far, only looking on the lcd (haven't had a chance to put them on the pc yet) absolutely thrilled with it, full zoom small bird high up in the tree seems to have come out great and beautiful sunlit trees around lake etc. I am really impressed with the clear sharp photos at full zoom. It was so great to use as well. I have read a few things about slow focusing and was a bit worried about that but it was fine, no problem at all, even managed a couple of birds in flight, very impressed so far I will try to post a couple of photos when I have got them uploaded
--
jacqui

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

Dale Buhanan's gear list:Dale Buhanan's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon G1 X II Canon EOS 70D Canon PowerShot SD500 Canon PowerShot G5 +35 more

Thanks dale, yes its great
--
jacqui

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads