SX40 Dilemma

Started Dec 19, 2011 | Discussions
CSPoole
CSPoole Regular Member • Posts: 419
SX40 Dilemma

The Boss had me purchase the SX40 for his wife for x- mas. Should I charge the the battery for her and make sure everything works. Might only take a couple of days and
a few hundred shutter releases.
Thanks
CSPoole

CSPoole's gear list:CSPoole's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
Catboat Willy Regular Member • Posts: 152
Re: SX40 Dilemma

In answer to your post, my opinion would be YES !

The SX 40 MIGHT take the Bosses wife a few weeks to figure out whether it is functioning correctly. By that time the 'return period' will have expired and you may look like part of the problem since you did not check it.

If you have knowledge of how the SX 40 functions you are an asset. If it were me, I'd take it out and shoot a few shots with it, but why not discuss it with the boss ?
The instruction manual is on the Canon site here on the internet.
Best of Holidays,
Bill
--
I sure wished I knew today what I know I'm going to regret knowing tomorrow.

CSPoole
OP CSPoole Regular Member • Posts: 419

She bought my S2, lost in tijauna motel, replaced with S3, couple years later replaced with SX20. Being a deligent employee, maybe I should, make it sure it works! Even if it takes a couple of days.
Thanks
CSPoole

Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
Kali12 Regular Member • Posts: 192

Different POV here. Some people like a gift that is new -- unwrapped, untested, unbroken in. (I'm one of them). I wouldn't be happy to get a camera that was "new" but had been fired off a hundred times already. Techie or not, I'd rather "break it in" myself.

You could always make your skills available--optionally--AFTER she gets the gift).

Also, if anything goes wrong with it in the first few months, you might find your "breaking it in" period gets blamed for it.

If I were to suggest anything, to make sure she had a really good (at least 4GB) class 10 memory card so she could start trying it out Xmas day (probably after even charging up her own battery).

Lucy Forum Pro • Posts: 31,079
Good points, Kali...

...especially your third paragraph....wouldn't want to take the blame if something went wrong.
--
Lucy
Oly cams and a Canon, too.
FCAS Member #98, Oly Division
'Photography is the art of seeing what others do not.'

Dan Hudson
Dan Hudson Contributing Member • Posts: 710
Re: Good points, Kali...

It is a gift, stay out of it!!!!!!
--
Christian Amateur Photographer

Dan Hudson's gear list:Dan Hudson's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Canon PowerShot SX120 IS
gary0319
gary0319 Senior Member • Posts: 2,998

I agree with Kali, Dan and Lucy. It's a gift and the boss's wife has obviously had some experience with cameras; I'd let her do her own testing.

gary0319's gear list:gary0319's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Rokinon 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +5 more
Ring A Senior Member • Posts: 1,193

gary0319 wrote:

I agree with Kali, Dan and Lucy. It's a gift and the boss's wife has obviously had some experience with cameras; I'd let her do her own testing.

But it wouldn't hurt to charge the battery

-- hide signature --

'I don't necessarily believe everything I say'!

AdAstra09 Regular Member • Posts: 191

Every camera I've ever used had a half charged battery already, which should be good enough. And I agree, people can be funny about open boxes. I say stay out of it.
--

"She carries a lot of suitcases but all of them are empty because she's expecting to completely fill them with life by the end of this trip & then she'll come home & sort everything out & do it all again." ~ story people

christinaann7 New Member • Posts: 21

The battery only takes about an hour and fifty minutes to charge fully so its really not that long. If it were me I would like to get the gift unopened and open it myself, but thats just me. Maybe you should consult with your boss and see what he thinks...

christinaann7's gear list:christinaann7's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX40 HS
pcake Contributing Member • Posts: 692

i wouldn't, but if you really want to know, why not ask your boss what he thinks?

pcake's gear list:pcake's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Olympus PEN E-PM2
Baytoven Regular Member • Posts: 239

I agree with those who say, "No". You have done your part in picking up the camera for your boss.

Baytoven's gear list:Baytoven's gear list
Canon PowerShot G16 Olympus E-M1 Canon Pixma Pro-100
CSPoole
OP CSPoole Regular Member • Posts: 419

I did ask, when I called to confirm that I had it. Asked if I should check it out because,

I heard a tiny voice coming from it saying "Open me first!". He laughed and said go ahead. I will not open, but it will be a couple of long days ahead. But if it starts talking again?
Thanks
CSPoole

voz Regular Member • Posts: 372

CSPoole wrote:

The Boss had me purchase the SX40 for his wife for x- mas. Should I charge the the battery for her and make sure everything works. Might only take a couple of days and
a few hundred shutter releases.

What I want to know is why you bought the SX40 and not The Boss himself?

Kali12 Regular Member • Posts: 192

Glad you're not opening it (if it's still talking, I'd give it to the boss ASAP).

One more thing, since as they said upthread the boss's wife isn't new to cameras, its kind of disrespectful to give her a gift opened and set up. Really, I'd be kind of insulted if my husband had his employee buy my gift (bad enough, that) then open, charge it and play with it (aka "test" it, lol) for a while.

New camera! The SX40 is a great gift. And this way she'll think he went to allll the trouble himself.....

Bryan
Bryan Senior Member • Posts: 1,974
Re: SX40 Dilemma (do nothing)

if I may suggest --- do nothing.

Like other posters I would prefer something untouched as packed in the factory no matter how helpful you are trying to be.

The battery getting charged is simple. as I have done with my many digital cameras over the years:

carefully unpack the box
check contents against the list
make sure all appear to be in order and in pristine condition
plug in the charger
fit the battery/camera to charger.
make a large mug of coffee
have an enjoyable read -- of the manual

It works for me and if I received an opened camera box I would be VERY upset, no matter how well meaning.

finally pick up all of the packing and store it all way in the original box.

Now get out and take some photographs.

-- hide signature --

Bryan

Box-Brownie and other stuff.

iMac i7

Still looking for a digital back for my Box Brownie.

Bryan's gear list:Bryan's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Canon EOS 7D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads