Head of R&D says Pentax is working on mirror-less FF 35mm and 645D?!

Started Dec 17, 2011 | Discussions
Pete Fang Senior Member • Posts: 1,900
Head of R&D says Pentax is working on mirror-less FF 35mm and 645D?!

Hi everyone,

I don't know Japanese that much but it looks like Mr. Kitazawa, head of Pentax's camera R&D, told Japan's Digital Camera Magazine that Pentax is working on a mirror-less 35mm full-frame camera and is even considering a mirror-less 645D:

http://thisistanaka.blog66.fc2.com/entry/662/

It will be greatly appreciated if someone from Japan could give us more insights by reading this magazine, to be published on Dec. 19 according to this blog.

Peter

-- hide signature --

Peter Fang - Pentax user for more than 25 years: K-5 / MZ-S / Z-1 / SFX / LX
My Online Gallery: http://petefang.smugmug.com/

Pete Fang's gear list:Pete Fang's gear list
Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Pentax K-1 +13 more
Pentax 645D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
sfa1966
sfa1966 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,477
Re: Head of R&D says Pentax is working on mirror-less FF 35mm and 645D?!

Pete Fang wrote:

Hi everyone,

I don't know Japanese that much but it looks like Mr. Kitazawa, head of Pentax's camera R&D, told Japan's Digital Camera Magazine that Pentax is working on a mirror-less 35mm full-frame camera and is even considering a mirror-less 645D:

http://thisistanaka.blog66.fc2.com/entry/662/

It will be greatly appreciated if someone from Japan could give us more insights by reading this magazine, to be published on Dec. 19 according to this blog.

Pete I don't know if there's some kind of record for starting 2 consecutive entries here which go to the 150-post limit, but I'm guessing you'll be a contender!

Mirrorless FF seems to defeat one major advantage of the format over APSC - the large optical viewfinder. Still, we shall see ..
--
Cheers,
sfa

A very limited photographer ...

sfa1966's gear list:sfa1966's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Pentax K-1 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +11 more
Barry Fitzgerald Forum Pro • Posts: 29,888

sfa1966 wrote:

Mirrorless FF seems to defeat one major advantage of the format over APSC - the large optical viewfinder. Still, we shall see ..
--

Agree..

And in particular most of the potential FF buyers really are not that interested in an EVF for their work.

If the information is true then it would seem to be a strange move and probably a shot in the foot of what could be a good idea (ala full frame)

I think sometimes Ricoh can try to be different and no doubt this is a "gap in the market" but they've also got a bit of history for making products that most couldn't care less about (GX-R not a bad idea but completely wiped out by the surge of ILC's out there)

On paper Ricoh look like a good partner for Pentax, on the other hand their big talk about making K mount a genuine alternative to the big makers, needs an awful lot of glass and overhaul of the system to become a reality. That's not the sort of thing you do in 6-12 months it takes years.

OP Pete Fang Senior Member • Posts: 1,900

sfa1966 wrote:

Mirrorless FF seems to defeat one major advantage of the format over APSC - the large 》optical viewfinder. Still, we shall see ..
--

I am not a fan of EVF either but I guess Pentax/Ricoh may be trying to be different in order to differentiate from the rest? I really hope that they could release a traditional FF DSLR before giving mirror-less a try.

Peter

-- hide signature --

Peter Fang - Pentax user for more than 25 years: K-5 / MZ-S / Z-1 / SFX / LX
My Online Gallery: http://petefang.smugmug.com/

Pete Fang's gear list:Pete Fang's gear list
Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Pentax K-1 +13 more
Stof Regular Member • Posts: 163

Let's indulge ourselves in gossip/rumours.....and facts....before any new camera is released a couple of them find their way to, surely, a couple of members of this forum?? Nah, you do not have to answer to this absurd statement....

I only need how many months have I got left to save for the "new" Pentax with improved sensor...2-3 months is not going to be enough for me!

And...I will be carefully watching some of the esteemed members of this forum...

Stof's gear list:Stof's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 12-24mm F4.0 ED AL (IF) Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 macro +6 more
soheil Veteran Member • Posts: 3,025
Just imagine ...

an MF mirrorless 645D with 7" EVF
--
--------------------------------
It's the singer not the song.

soheil's gear list:soheil's gear list
Pentax Optio 330GS Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 IIs +19 more
Twong Contributing Member • Posts: 849

It is a balance between how much one hates the mirror box vs EVF. In my case, I really hate the mirror box. I have played with some recent mirrorless cameras, they have come a long way. Are they comparable to SLR? Not yet, but the gap is getting smaller.

Barry Fitzgerald wrote:

sfa1966 wrote:

--

Agree..

And in particular most of the potential FF buyers really are not that interested in an EVF for their work.

If the information is true then it would seem to be a strange move and probably a shot in the foot of what could be a good idea (ala full frame)

I think sometimes Ricoh can try to be different and no doubt this is a "gap in the market" but they've also got a bit of history for making products that most couldn't care less about (GX-R not a bad idea but completely wiped out by the surge of ILC's out there)

On paper Ricoh look like a good partner for Pentax, on the other hand their big talk about making K mount a genuine alternative to the big makers, needs an awful lot of glass and overhaul of the system to become a reality. That's not the sort of thing you do in 6-12 months it takes years.

Twong's gear list:Twong's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Pentax K-3 II Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC +18 more
Colorado CJ Contributing Member • Posts: 502

No mirrorless for me thanks. Now a full frame with a big bright optical view finder, I'd be all over that. I'd even sell one of my motorcycles to finance it (and THAT is saying something for me).

DLBlack Forum Pro • Posts: 15,159

A few more semi-leaks ofthe future.

Just maybe Pentax/Ricoh FF and MF cameras will use a hybrid viewfinder. Pentax does have a patent for one. Just an idea. Maybe we will find out more in January at one of the photo equipment shows.

Dave
--

DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-7 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 III +43 more
moving_comfort
moving_comfort Veteran Member • Posts: 8,242
Japanese language speakers, please?

Any Japanese speakers out there reading this who can translate directly?

-- hide signature --

Here are a few of my favorite things...
---> http://www.flickr.com/photos/95095968@N00/sets/72157626171532197/

moving_comfort's gear list:moving_comfort's gear list
Nikon D800 Pentax K20D Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +10 more
Meuh
Meuh Veteran Member • Posts: 3,184

With the rate of development with camera's the benefits of mirrorless will overtake the old mirror box style cameras.

Sure I love the optical view finder but lets be real.. its an old system designed when the only way to see through the lens was to shove stuff in the way..

These days.. there are very good EVF's and its a technology that's improving at a very fast rate, sure it will never be the same as an OVF but its has many advantages and can only get better.

As for the mirror box, it adds vibration, focus misalignment, restrictions on lens design and slows down the camera.

Without the mirror box, no need for the two second timer on a tripod to help fight vibrations, with the chip doing the focus no more back/front focus problems and with the evf we get to see exactly what the lens is rendering before we take the shot and with sensor based stabilisation we also get a stabilised view finder.

We also have live histogram's, zooming to focus and no restrictions to size.. we can have FF sized EVF on apcs chips (like the Sony's).

Id hate to see the OVF die out but I think as cameras become more advanced the old DSLR will become something else.. wireless EVF anyone?
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31735225@N02/

Alex Sarbu Forum Pro • Posts: 12,745
Re: Just imagine ...

soheil wrote:

an MF mirrorless 645D with 7" EVF

Just imagine a MF mirrorless with an EVF no larger or brighter than a Nikon V1's.
I just did, and it made me puke.

Alex S

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Ricoh GR III Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +8 more
miles green
miles green Veteran Member • Posts: 7,818
Re: Japanese language speakers, please?

moving_comfort wrote:

Any Japanese speakers out there reading this who can translate directly?

Google chrome translates web pages... but not all sentences are coherent.
It definitely states the FF and 645D mirrorless...

I think we can be sure that Pentax is putting a lot of effort in something new!

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Corfu

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-1 Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +7 more
CFynn Veteran Member • Posts: 5,225

A full frame mirrorless camera with a flange distance allowing a wide variety of lenses to be adapted would be a hit with many people.

Look at how many people are using Sony's NEX with adapted lenses - but it seems their E-mount is just a little too small to put a full frame sensor behind it.

CFynn's gear list:CFynn's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 3,5/18 +12 more
ogl
ogl Senior Member • Posts: 1,958

Pete Fang wrote:

Hi everyone,

I said that Pentax needs FF EVIL MANY MANY times before - it's right move.
It's my idea....:)

ogl's gear list:ogl's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited
moving_comfort
moving_comfort Veteran Member • Posts: 8,242

ogl wrote:

Pete Fang wrote:

Hi everyone,

I said that Pentax needs FF EVIL MANY MANY times before - it's right move.
It's my idea....:)

You and about 75 other people around here. Not sure you an lay claim to the idea, Ogl.

FWIW I don't know how much I like the the idea while at the same time being somewhat excited by the possibilities... Maybe I'm just excited that it would indicate that Ricoh seems to have inked or come close to inking a deal with Sony Semiconductor, from which other great things could come.

-- hide signature --

moving_comfort's gear list:moving_comfort's gear list
Nikon D800 Pentax K20D Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +10 more
ogl
ogl Senior Member • Posts: 1,958

moving_comfort wrote:

You and about 75 other people around here. Not sure you an lay claim to the idea, Ogl.

No problem...:)

ogl's gear list:ogl's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited
Kolen Senior Member • Posts: 1,015

I would hope that to have a flange focal distance smaller than that of Leica M, so that I can adapt M mount lens.

Kolen's gear list:Kolen's gear list
Nikon D800E Olympus PEN E-PL5 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha NEX-C3 Rokinon 8mm F3.5 Aspherical Fisheye (HD) +32 more
areidjr
areidjr Senior Member • Posts: 2,495

I don't know Japanese either, so I can't help.

I'm not really keen on the idea of an EVF, but I would like a FF body. Assuming that Pentax does release mirrorless FF AND I can go to a camera shop and hold one in my hands and see how it looks and feels, I'm willing to be convinced.
--
Al

My Photo Gallery: http://photoweb.reid-home.com (Updated 9/8/2008)
Pentax Photo Gallery: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/albertreid
My Blog: http://areidjr.blogspot.com/

WSSA Member #199PX

leopold Forum Pro • Posts: 14,083

OK,

IF Pentax really do a FF Mirrorless i hope they will do like Sony (i have av NEX-3) and i like the peaking feature and the zooming to 7X or 14X to help focus on the LCD!

I don't know if i would buy one, maybe for my landscape and Macro work but certainly not for wildlife photography, i've try it with my NEX-3, it can be done but it's a lot easier to use a regular DSLR.

Pentax can certainly come up with a great camera (as usual) that will surprise everyone...will see
--
Leopold
Pentax forever
http://smarcoux.zenfolio.com/
http://www.limagier-photo.com/
http://www.firstlight.com/galleries.php

leopold's gear list:leopold's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads