JPEG shooters only?

Started Dec 14, 2011 | Discussions
Mako2011
MOD Mako2011 Forum Pro • Posts: 27,015
JPEG shooters only?

I found this article by Thom Hogan helpful and interesting. It gives some good advice for the JPEG shooter and I also found it a good read even if I shoot mostly RAW now. Having good information can never be a bad thing. I especially found the comment: " There will be time when you want to exaggerate or emphasize something, but you should be dialing in that exaggeration from your standard, not from some random starting point." especially useful to re-examine from time to time.

Any additional comments that could be helpful to us would be appreciated.

http://www.bythom.com/jpeg.htm

Fjrjacko Contributing Member • Posts: 840
Re: JPEG shooters only?

I haven't got time to read all that now but I will later tonight

I did get as far as the white balance part , I do shoot a lot of JPEG with auto WB and it really is never a problem at lot of ppl go on about WB , its got me stuffed why

Same with the destructive bit , its not that bad ,
pk Im off now back later to read the rest

R Dunlop Contributing Member • Posts: 970

I liked the article and generally agree. However its what you plan to do with your photo that makes the difference. If the kids are in the yard mucking about with the hose and you want some quick pics for Facebook its JPEG. I nice sunset on a tripod with hopes to enlarge and frame its RAW. Horses for courses!
--
Hotworks

SNGX1327 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,186

i shoot only jpg. ONLY jpg. i don't care if it's a once in a lifetime opportunity the most gorgeous sunset in the background with the alien's spacecraft setting down to make contact with the human kind's welcoming party and in the background albert pujols is hitting a homerun in a cardinals uniform, plus some naked girls. i'm still shooting jpg.

i have yet to see results out of a RAW file that i perceive as "better" than .jpg to a point where it's worth the effort and resources to profess RAW files. an original "raw" .jpg file out of the camera of course i'll keep saved away somewhere, and i'll make edits to that file.

but RAW? hmmm nah, not for me.

eNo
eNo Forum Pro • Posts: 11,744

SNGX1327 wrote:

i shoot only jpg. ONLY jpg. i don't care if it's a once in a lifetime opportunity the most gorgeous sunset in the background with the alien's spacecraft setting down to make contact with the human kind's welcoming party and in the background albert pujols is hitting a homerun in a cardinals uniform, plus some naked girls. i'm still shooting jpg.

i have yet to see results out of a RAW file that i perceive as "better" than .jpg to a point where it's worth the effort and resources to profess RAW files. an original "raw" .jpg file out of the camera of course i'll keep saved away somewhere, and i'll make edits to that file.

Well, you mustn't shoot B&W, or perhaps you don't have much preference for how a B&W photo should look. I tried and tried, and couldn't get in-camera settings come anywhere close to the type of B&W image I can achieve when I combine proper exposure with judicious post-processing. Case in point...

-- hide signature --

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Seeking the heart and spirit in each image

Gallery and blog: http://imagesbyeduardo.com
Google plus: http://www.gplus.to/imagesbyeduardo
Flickr stream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/imagesbyeduardo/

TFergus
TFergus Veteran Member • Posts: 6,188

I shoot RAW and JPG, but I use the JPG if it's unimportant and someone wanted a copy of something... and more so to use as my referencing/selecting files before I decide what to process. If I'm running low on card space and it's too inconvenient to swap... I just turn off the JPG setting altogether.

JPGs are really just my cataloging versions of an image.

As for the comment below... I can't imagine not shooting RAW just for the flexibility itself. Why be stuck with any in-camera processing when it would be so easy to take the same photo and apply something different. With JPG you're stuck with whatever you chose to do out in the field... or "forgot" to do.

I'm with Eno... they matter... way too much to settle for what the camera can do.

SNGX1327 wrote:

-- hide signature --

"What the #&!*$ was that ?!?" - Mayor of Hiroshima (August 6, 1945)

Colweb Regular Member • Posts: 254

I do RAW and JPEG fine. And fortunately the D7000 is that good that most of the time I don't bother to look at the RAW files. However, I do store them.

In my opinion it all depends on where you (lighting conditions) are and what your subject is. Sometimes photos get a lot better by doing some PP on the RAW file. But, I have made A3+ (32 x 48 cm / 12.6 x 17.7 inch) size prints from parts of a JPEG that came out perfect.

Could easily be that my PP skills aren't good enough to get much better results from manipulating the RAW file(s), but I also find it very time consuming to process all the photos I take in Photoshop or any other program for that matter.

Bottom line, from the 4000+ photos I took so far, only opened less than 100 of the RAW files trying to make them better. Because the camera stores photos so quickly, you should always shoot RAW as well. I consider them my 'negatives', so that if needed always can try to create a better JPEG.

Colweb's gear list:Colweb's gear list
Sony Mavica CD300 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +2 more
mgd43 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,322

I shoot only JPEGs for two reasons. First, I don't enjoy PP. This is a hobby for me and it's supposed to be fun. For me, PP is not fun. Second, and more important, I get beautiful results shooting JPEG's with a minimal amount of the hated PP. The idea that you cannot PP JPEGs is nonsense. I do it all the time using Elements. Most shots thankfully need very little PP. Usually all they need is a little tweaking that can be done in a minute or two.

mgd43's gear list:mgd43's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon D5500 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +3 more
Mako2011
OP MOD Mako2011 Forum Pro • Posts: 27,015
Not about RAW vs JPEG

This wasn't a post about RAW vs JPEG but how one article provided tips to improve OOC JPEG results and how I thought some of the advice applied to RAW shooters as well. My apologies in the title I think or not being clear. Have a great Holiday season all

grazuncle
grazuncle Veteran Member • Posts: 5,660
Mako2011.. no good deed..

goes unpunished!

i thought it was useful... thanks

Mako2011 wrote:

This wasn't a post about RAW vs JPEG but how one article provided tips to improve OOC JPEG results and how I thought some of the advice applied to RAW shooters as well. My apologies in the title I think or not being clear. Have a great Holiday season all

-- hide signature --

There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness.' :'!':

grazuncle's gear list:grazuncle's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
David Lal Forum Pro • Posts: 12,402
Yes but ...

.. why don't you come down off the fence and tell us what you really think?

David

SNGX1327 wrote:

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads