Strictly rumor: Pentax 35mm full-frame DSLR and APS-C EVIL to come in 2012

Started Dec 9, 2011 | Discussions
Pete Fang Senior Member • Posts: 1,900
Strictly rumor: Pentax 35mm full-frame DSLR and APS-C EVIL to come in 2012

Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I last posted here. Got a new job this summer and have been busy since. But today I heard a rumor from a usually reliable source that I feel the obligation to share with everyone here:

According to my source, Pentax will release a 35mm full-frame DSLR and an APS-C EVIL (mirror-less) in 2012. No other details were given except that the source seemed to believe the full-frame model will likely use a Sony 24MP sensor. I'd assume this is a new version of the sensor used in the Sony A900. I hear separately that Sony has another 36MP full-frame sensor which has been rumored to be at the heart of a Nikon D800(?). If the rumored Pentax full-frame model uses a 24MP sensor that has similar or improved DR and high ISO performance as the K-5 sensor, I'd be more than happy.

Now I need to hang on more tightly to my full-frame glasses including the FA*28-70、FA*80-200、FA*85/A*85/FA77、FA*200、FA31 and FA43!

That's all I have for now. Please keep in mind that this is just a rumor and nothing more.

Have a great weekend,

Peter

-- hide signature --

Peter Fang - Pentax user for more than 25 years: K-5 / MZ-S / Z-1 / SFX / LX
My Online Gallery: http://petefang.smugmug.com/

Pete Fang's gear list:Pete Fang's gear list
Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Pentax K-1 +13 more
Nikon D800 Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
asw66 Regular Member • Posts: 248
Re: Strictly rumor: Pentax 35mm full-frame DSLR and APS-C EVIL to come in 2012

Pete Fang wrote:

Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I last posted here. Got a new job this summer and have been busy since. But today I heard a rumor from a usually reliable source that I feel the obligation to share with everyone here:

OK, I'll bite. You've known this source for a while, and this person has accurately predicted upcoming Pentax products?

Barry Fitzgerald Forum Pro • Posts: 29,888

I think something FF is on the cards I don't have a problem with that choice is good.

As for APS-C mirror less well depends if it's a DSLR replacement or an addition to the range.

We need new K-r's and K5's

moving_comfort
moving_comfort Veteran Member • Posts: 8,242

Pete, was your source perhaps a dpreview employee who likes to see threads hit 150?
--
Here are a few of my favorite things...
---> http://www.flickr.com/photos/95095968@N00/sets/72157626171532197/

moving_comfort's gear list:moving_comfort's gear list
Pentax K20D Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D +10 more
Sweets
Sweets Contributing Member • Posts: 695

Why not a 35mm full-frame EVIL (mirror-less) in 2012 ?
--
rgrds. Henk (K20D&DBG-2 & LBA).

Sweets's gear list:Sweets's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Pentax K-01 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +18 more
Kikool Contributing Member • Posts: 601

Please... Don't mix apples and oranges

I wouldn't vote for any mirrorless for now, would it be a FF. And I'm eagerly waiting for a FF...

Kikool's gear list:Kikool's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-1 +1 more
OP Pete Fang Senior Member • Posts: 1,900

moving_comfort wrote:

Pete, was your source perhaps a dpreview employee who likes to see threads hit 150?

No. If that were the case, the post would be in the Canon forum declaring a 1Ds Mk 4 with 40+MP.

PF

-- hide signature --

audiobomber
audiobomber Veteran Member • Posts: 5,766

Pete Fang wrote:

According to my source, Pentax will release a 35mm full-frame DSLR and an APS-C EVIL (mirror-less) in 2012. No other details were given except that the source seemed to believe the full-frame model will likely use a Sony 24MP sensor. I'd assume this is a new version of the sensor used in the Sony A900. I hear separately that Sony has another 36MP full-frame sensor which has been rumored to be at the heart of a Nikon D800(?).

This rumour would make more sense if the APSC MILC were the one with a 24mp sensor. That sensor is already being used in the new NEX line. The Sony A900 will surely have more than 24mp, because Sony is a driving force behind the megapixel race.

-- hide signature --

Dan

audiobomber's gear list:audiobomber's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sony a6000 Pentax K20D Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +19 more
waxwaine
waxwaine Contributing Member • Posts: 997
No rangefinder?!... booohh

So, it seems I will not have a Pentax rangefinder as an alternative to my K-r. Excuse me, for now of course, I desire more a compact, noiseless shutter, good optic and elegant range finder than another DSLR. No problem even if it don´t has fixed lens with a short zoom.

audiobomber wrote:

This rumour would make more sense if the APSC MILC were the one with a 24mp sensor. That sensor is already being used in the new NEX line. The Sony A900 will surely have more than 24mp, because Sony is a driving force behind the megapixel race.

You mean a potential Sony A99 that's positioned above the current A77? A900 was released quite a while ago and is now already discontinued if I am not mistaken. I for one have a stronger belief of Sony pushing a 36MP full-frame sensor but my source told me Sony could have more than one full-frame sensors for next year's products. An educated guess would be one high-end megapixel race oriented 36MP one, a 24MP one that has better dynamic range and high ISO performance for mid-range models (something Pentax would probably more likely to use?), and a last one with high frame rate and high-end video features aimed squarely at the EOS 1Dx market. We all know Nikon will release a D3s successor before the 2012 London Olympics and it could use this third sensor.

-- hide signature --

asw66 wrote:

OK, I'll bite. You've known this source for a while, and this person has accurately predicted > upcoming Pentax products?

Yes.

-- hide signature --

DLBlack Forum Pro • Posts: 13,768

With Ricoh, a company with a history of cameras and thinking out of the box, owning Pentax one would think 2012 will be a very interesting year. Ricoh did mention competing with Canon and Nikon. It also mention filling gap(s). A FF camera would fill the large gap between the K-5 and the 645D. An APS-C MICL camera is needed.

A FF camera would really be great for the increase lens selection. It would be great to see the re-release of all the FA* lenses. I can see myself getting DFA*12-24, DFA*24-70, DFA*70-200 and DFA*200-400 lenses even if I don't get a FF camera.

An APC-S camera might be interesting to me considering how it is position in the market place. One for P&S upgraders would not interest me. So far the only MICL cameras that interst me is the Leica M9 and the Sony Nex 7. Maybe the Fuji LX might interest me. So I really see a two tier MILC system is needed. Then if the K-mount is not used a all new series of lenses. I still think the K-mount will be used for the Pentax MILC. Using on-sensor PDAF autofocus the current lenses should be ok. The extra little bit of thickness needed for the K-mount register distance should not be a problem since even a thinner register distance would not make a APS-C camera pocket size. A dslr size battery would also be a plus.

Now both the K-r and K-5 are at their end of their market cycle so I see them also being replaced early next year. So it should be an interesting year for Ricoh/Pentax.

Dave
--

DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II +38 more
MPrince Senior Member • Posts: 1,700

DLBlack wrote:

With Ricoh, a company with a history of cameras and thinking out of the box, owning Pentax one would think 2012 will be a very interesting year. Ricoh did mention competing with Canon and Nikon. It also mention filling gap(s). A FF camera would fill the large gap between the K-5 and the 645D. An APS-C MICL camera is needed.

Ricoh did not mention filling a gap in the Pentax lineup. Ricoh mentioned filling a gap in the marketplace. BIG difference.

miles green
miles green Veteran Member • Posts: 7,052

Pete Fang wrote:

asw66 wrote:

OK, I'll bite. You've known this source for a while, and this person has accurately predicted > upcoming Pentax products?

Yes.

Very cool! (the FF i mean. I'm not giving up my ovf! Or my grip, or my vertical grip for that matter!)

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Corfu

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-1 Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +6 more
audiobomber
audiobomber Veteran Member • Posts: 5,766

DLBlack wrote:

With Ricoh, a company with a history of cameras and thinking out of the box, owning Pentax one would think 2012 will be a very interesting year.

I agree. That's what's stopping me from trying another K-5. I believe 2012 will bring something even more interesting. Frankly I'm expecting everything next year, MILC, K-r & K-5 replacements and FF. Pentax Ricoh can do it if they want to, and all indications are that they want to.

So far the only MICL cameras that interst me is the Leica M9 and the Sony Nex 7.

What does MICL stand for? I'm familiar with EVIL (Electronic Viewfinder, Interchangeable Lens) and MILC (Mirrorless, Interchangeable Lens Camera).

-- hide signature --

Dan

audiobomber's gear list:audiobomber's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sony a6000 Pentax K20D Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +19 more
AlbertoM Regular Member • Posts: 130

On the contrary, I will buy a FF only if it is a mirrorless.....

AlbertoM

AlbertoM's gear list:AlbertoM's gear list
Pentax K-01 Sony a6300 Sony a7R III Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +6 more
Ari Aikomus
Ari Aikomus Veteran Member • Posts: 9,345
Great "news" if true (FF) ...I will immediately buy one or two ;-) [nt]
-- hide signature --

• Ari Aikomus -

'Why should I feel lonely ? is not our planet in the Milky way?'

MPrince wrote:

DLBlack wrote:

Ricoh did not mention filling a gap in the Pentax lineup. Ricoh mentioned filling a gap in the marketplace. BIG difference.

True. Still it is easier to see a gap in the Pentax line-up than a gap in the market place. Next year should be an interesting one. Any guess when the first leak will be.

Dave
--

audiobomber wrote:

DLBlack wrote:

With Ricoh, a company with a history of cameras and thinking out of the box, owning Pentax one would think 2012 will be a very interesting year.

I agree. That's what's stopping me from trying another K-5. I believe 2012 will bring something even more interesting. Frankly I'm expecting everything next year, MILC, K-r & K-5 replacements and FF. Pentax Ricoh can do it if they want to, and all indications are that they want to.

So far the only MICL cameras that interst me is the Leica M9 and the Sony Nex 7.

What does MICL stand for? I'm familiar with EVIL (Electronic Viewfinder, Interchangeable Lens) and MILC (Mirrorless, Interchangeable Lens Camera).

MICL means that I didn't proof read my post good enough. I meant MILC.

Dave
--

ogl
ogl Senior Member • Posts: 1,561

I don't know, of course...But I think new 24 MP FF sensor from SONY is true.

First of all, 24 MP FF sensor technology is proven already...I think SONY will just improve 24 MP sensor in terms of DR and signal/noise. Maybe speed of readout.
It means - Pentax FF camera could be at the price level $2000-2500.

ogl's gear list:ogl's gear list
Pentax K200D Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads