Samsung 32gb class 10 Micro SD

Started Dec 8, 2011 | Discussions
snake_b Veteran Member • Posts: 4,680
Samsung 32gb class 10 Micro SD

Just picked up one of these for 39 euros with a webdeal (they were originally, before delivery began, about 35 euros, but supplies are still limited and pricing in the eurozone has skyrocketed over the last two weeks to 50 and over).

I will confirm that it works in the WB650 and EX1. Write times are slower than my Sandisk class 10 8gb. In practical usage, it remains to be seen if the speed difference is that much over the Sandisk. Due to the huge SRW files, I think so. Counter, after formatting, shows 1306 pics, though naturally that number will be far lower as the counter becomes more accurate when the card nears full.

However, the card is destined for my Nokia N8. Only when the new Sandisk 64gb Micro SDXC card becomes cheaper, will I move this card down to the cam.

The Samsung:

Sandisk Extreme 8gb Class 10:

For the price, it's quite good. Very hard to get (two Amazon retailers let me down on this one and I'm still trying to get my money back).

Samsung HZ35W (WB650) Samsung TL500 (EX1)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
brianj Forum Pro • Posts: 14,657
Re: Samsung 32gb class 10 Micro SD

Can the EX1 handle such a large card, I do run a sandisk 16mb in mine with no trouble so it will probably work.

Its giving 21mb/sec which is not too bad, the other day I tested mine through the USB cable as a mass storage drive using HD Tach or HD Tune tool, and in camera they can only deliver 3.5mb/sec, so I don't know whether a fast card delivers any real noticable performance gain.

Are you going over to using RAW all the time, to need such a big card, I usually run 4gb cards class 4 or class 6 but I only shoot jpg.

Brian

brianj's gear list:brianj's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS
OP snake_b Veteran Member • Posts: 4,680
Re: Samsung 32gb class 10 Micro SD

"I will confirm that it works in the WB650 and EX1."

This could be a solution for the abysmally large sizes of NX200 files.

Companies and users are finding out now that most cards beyond what devices claim is the max will work because they generally printed what was the largest at the time as the max.

As far as testing goes, you won't realize as high a speed as when you use the card reader. And of note, the 21mb/s number is only on write, not read. Fast cards beyond about the equivalent of class 5 do not give a noticeable increase in speed. They help greatly when transferring data on the computer, however. Thus, I recommend a class 6 in the EX1, as the peak speed appears to float slightly above class 4.

I use RAW exclusively. On vacations, it's extremely helpful, when I'm taking a couple hundred pics a day. However, the 32 won't go in my EX1 (see original post) for a while yet, until it's replaced by something else in my phone. This might be doable, since my new phone is much more capable, even as a USB host, so I can either collect data from a memory card ovber days and leave the computer at home.

brianj wrote:

Can the EX1 handle such a large card, I do run a sandisk 16mb in mine with no trouble so it will probably work.

Its giving 21mb/sec which is not too bad, the other day I tested mine through the USB cable as a mass storage drive using HD Tach or HD Tune tool, and in camera they can only deliver 3.5mb/sec, so I don't know whether a fast card delivers any real noticable performance gain.

Are you going over to using RAW all the time, to need such a big card, I usually run 4gb cards class 4 or class 6 but I only shoot jpg.

Brian

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads