iPhone 4s vs. Nokia N8

Started Dec 8, 2011 | Discussions
snake_b Veteran Member • Posts: 4,680
iPhone 4s vs. Nokia N8

I have a Nokia N8, however I'm stunned by the images coming from the 4s, which leaves me wondering if the 4s truly is more capable in many ways, in addition to having actual functioning apps, or if it's just availability.

I see images from both and for now, I have to give the nod to the 4s. The N8 can produce nice images, but it's handicapped by the on-board camera to a small extent, but there are also no real apps that function (camerapro barely functions due to massive operational bugs).

So I'd like to see images from both posted here so I can see what they each do well.

N8Phreak Junior Member • Posts: 34
Re: iPhone 4s vs. Nokia N8

snake_b wrote:

I have a Nokia N8, however I'm stunned by the images coming from the 4s, which leaves me wondering if the 4s truly is more capable in many ways, in addition to having actual functioning apps, or if it's just availability.

I see images from both and for now, I have to give the nod to the 4s. The N8 can produce nice images, but it's handicapped by the on-board camera to a small extent, but there are also no real apps that function (camerapro barely functions due to massive operational bugs).

So I'd like to see images from both posted here so I can see what they each do well.

I have a Nokia N8 also and my GF has a 4S and to be honest the pictures coming out of the iphone do look good but they are true / natural. Apple does ALOT of processing to get the pictures looking the way they do and to me they are really over processed, the N8, not so much. Just the Xenon flash makes fill and colors the pictures MUCH better than the LED's on the iPhone. But the Apps that are available are very hard to beat. I buy apps on her phone that I cant get for my N8. Camerapro had alot of great potential but I think the developer has moved on to the Android platform, which is a shame.

fotophool Veteran Member • Posts: 4,340
Some iPhone 4S Samples...

All shot with the Hipstamatic App.

fotophool

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7131002@N05/

OP snake_b Veteran Member • Posts: 4,680
Re: Some iPhone 4S Samples...

Those are quite nice. Perhaps it's telling that we're not seeing much from the N8 and how having a real camera matters little.

After seeing the latest camerapro update for the Nokia N8, I have to concede that, despite the lesser hardware, the iPhone might have one of the greatest cameras put there in phones. The N8, while great, is completely betrayed by Nokia's asinine lack of support and the fact that people put apps out and have the nerve to charge for them through the Nokia store, when they are little more than buggy betas.

The frustration with having such good hardware, but poor apps to run it, is infinite.

Undah Veteran Member • Posts: 5,335
Nokia N8 equal to DSLR

I printed 2 pictures at 5x7" one from the N8, one from my 12mp DSLR. Both were processed prior to printing.

The results were very impressive, noone can tell the two apart (I can, because I know what to look for, but no one I showed to could tell).

Re: Nokia N8 equal to DSLR

How do you shoot with the N8?

zoranT Contributing Member • Posts: 926

snake_b wrote:

After seeing the latest camerapro update for the Nokia N8, I have to concede that, despite the lesser hardware, the iPhone might have one of the greatest cameras put there in phones. The N8, while great, is completely betrayed by Nokia's asinine lack of support and the fact that people put apps out and have the nerve to charge for them through the Nokia store, when they are little more than buggy betas.

The frustration with having such good hardware, but poor apps to run it, is infinite.

What use of apps if one deals with a small sensor, unless there are iPhone apps that let you determine compression rate, manual exposure, work with RAW etc. So are there any such apps?

All comparison shots I ve seen (then mainly betw. iPh 4 and N8) all pointed to N8 as the most camera-like and IQ prone product.

My ideal phone would have buttons, no touch function, a decent camera with lens and that s it - Sony Eriksson launched once the cybershot series but did not follow up, because folks rushed over to the all-purpose iPhone style, which 'smart' standard today.

I honestly don't understand what you're saying.

The N8 has a larger sensor and a shutter button.

"Apps" means the programs to operate the camera. The Nokia application is lacking, while CameraPro is practically unsuable, despite the people who don't even use it recommending it. It has control over compression, but that has little effect on the final product, especially when it crashes when trying to adjust settings, or has the problem where it needs to be shut down between pics because it can't manage exposure or the ND filter anymore.

zoranT wrote:

snake_b wrote:

What use of apps if one deals with a small sensor, unless there are iPhone apps that let you determine compression rate, manual exposure, work with RAW etc. So are there any such apps?

All comparison shots I ve seen (then mainly betw. iPh 4 and N8) all pointed to N8 as the most camera-like and IQ prone product.

My ideal phone would have buttons, no touch function, a decent camera with lens and that s it - Sony Eriksson launched once the cybershot series but did not follow up, because folks rushed over to the all-purpose iPhone style, which 'smart' standard today.

how do you mean?

snake_b wrote:

How do you shoot with the N8?

What app, what settings, and so on.

Oh,

Just snap pics, like a regular point-and-shoot camera, and process in PS, print at costco.

It's not mine, the N8, but I know there are apps that do panorama stitching like my Sony TX7 (only slower).

snake_b wrote:

What app, what settings, and so on.

zoranT Contributing Member • Posts: 926

snake_b wrote:

I honestly don't understand what you're saying.

The N8 has a larger sensor and a shutter button.

"Apps" means the programs to operate the camera. The Nokia application is lacking, while CameraPro is practically unsuable, despite the people who don't even use it recommending it. It has control over compression, but that has little effect on the final product, especially when it crashes when trying to adjust settings, or has the problem where it needs to be shut down between pics because it can't manage exposure or the ND filter anymore.

I own the N8 and I know what apps are, thanks. N8 has a large sensor, yes, that s what I was writing about. The iPhone has a smaller sensor but many more apps, so what use of apps if one does not gain substancially better control or better IQ. Since I don t own an iPhone I dont know if there are apps out there that let you work with the RAW data or the like.

CameraPro on N8: I don t have problems, but it also doesn t do too much, so not much use, bit rate adjustment has no effect other than crashing

zoranT wrote:

snake_b wrote:

aperture 56 Junior Member • Posts: 49

Apps isn't a camera.. they are just apps that you might want to use and they are basically just for fun until you get bored of them and appreciate more natural images:)... but ok, my personal impressions after spending some time with iPhone 4 and nokia N8, that N8 is better as a camera... and the reasons for this: 1) N8 has bigger sensor and in real life technical file quality is also a bit better, maybe not a big difference or a big deal, but still. 2) N8 has two ways to release shutter and dedicated shutter button is really useful in real life situations, iPhone has only screen touch release. Once you have taken a picture and have a decent file then you have plenty of image processing programs to choose from. iPhone 4 has a good camera and probably 4s has even better, but for me N8 was a choice because just better file quality and more convenient to operate when taking pictures in those real life situations. Interesting, after I updated N8 software seems the image quality increased even more, now images taken in poor light look like less processed and more natural with more detail. I love my Nokia N8.. by the way, while ago there was a big accident - my N8 appeared completely in the water!!.. the phone just vibrated, the lights blinked, and the phone dead.. I thought that was it.. the friend of mine suggested just to dry the phone very well, and see it might recovers.. I didn't have a realistic hope, but I did it... and unbelievable, after about one week of drying process the phone turned on!! it was acting a bit crazy for another week, but now it works like before!!! I couldn't believe but i was very happy because I had some important images already stored on the phone...

FRANCISCO ARAGAO
FRANCISCO ARAGAO Regular Member • Posts: 194
Re: iPhone 4s vs. Nokia N8

We can't compare the iPhone's camera with that in N8 which has much better optics and a huge sensor (greater than those of most point & shoot).

The photos you see are heavily edited by iPhone apps, apps that N8 does not have.

-- hide signature --

FRANCISCO ARAGAO's gear list:FRANCISCO ARAGAO's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony DT 18-70mm F3.5-5.6 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony Alpha DSLR-A200 Sony Alpha NEX-C3 +6 more
millsart Senior Member • Posts: 2,771
Its like VHS vs BETA

Betamax was actually the better overall technology but consumers all went with VHS

Doesn't really matter how much better the N8 may be if its not the smartphone of choice for seemingly 50% of users (guessing at that figure but darn near half the people I see day to day seem to have iPhones) and without that huge market, your just not going to get a bunch of cool apps etc.

Without a bunch of cool apps and such even fewer will be drawn to it and its a catch 22.

One could hope Apple could step up the game on its phone (though it is pretty good and I'm happy with mine) but then given how everyone already uses it, why should they make it more than incrementally better ? Again, catch 22.

Whats a buyer to do ? Get the phone with the best camera but a poor OS, poor app support, little market presence (in US at least) or go with a slightly less good camera but with a very well supported platform thats got new stuff coming out everyday ?

Re: Its like VHS vs BETA

I agree with this post. The apps available do mostly suck. A couple lesser-known ones are quite good, including the camera lover's pack and shutter pro.

Camera Pro, now on v3, is unbelievably buggy. Perhaps even worse than v2, which had issues with exposure and deploying the ND filter, among others. At this point, it's a poor stand-in for the native app, though with Belle, some things are not so nice, such as the inability to turn the focus light completely off, as well as the light being on during a video recording.

So I can see the point about Apple, though it's an entire package people are being sold on here, with photography types going to the N8 when they want real pics or want to PP in their computers. Many apple types are looking for system integration with what they have at home, like their mac and iPad.

millsart wrote:

Betamax was actually the better overall technology but consumers all went with VHS

Doesn't really matter how much better the N8 may be if its not the smartphone of choice for seemingly 50% of users (guessing at that figure but darn near half the people I see day to day seem to have iPhones) and without that huge market, your just not going to get a bunch of cool apps etc.

Without a bunch of cool apps and such even fewer will be drawn to it and its a catch 22.

One could hope Apple could step up the game on its phone (though it is pretty good and I'm happy with mine) but then given how everyone already uses it, why should they make it more than incrementally better ? Again, catch 22.

Whats a buyer to do ? Get the phone with the best camera but a poor OS, poor app support, little market presence (in US at least) or go with a slightly less good camera but with a very well supported platform thats got new stuff coming out everyday ?

NM Scout Junior Member • Posts: 25

I have the N8 with Belle and CameraPro and CameraPro QT. I have had no issues with either version but prefer QT. To me it's hands down better in terms of IQ compared to the iPhone 4 and anything else I've tried. And I've had nearly every top of the line camera phone for the last six years.

Thanks fior the tip on Cameraplus QT. It might have the customization I'm looking for, provided it's not a typically buggy Meyer app. Luckily, we have the warez, so he won't be getting my money for his camerapro2 crap he pawned off that needed to be shut after each shot to get it to meter again and deploy the ND filter.

Davydd Junior Member • Posts: 38
You have to look at the whole ecosphere

I think there is no doubt from the discussion here that the N8 is the superior technical camera but you have to look at everything. One, I didn't buy a smartphone because of the camera. Actually, I didn't buy it for making phone calls either. It is a mini-computer, info gatherer and social media device. The camera is the plus. I went recently from an iPhone 3G to the iPhone 4S. The 3G was an inadequate camera for my needs but better than my first digital camera years ago. The 4S is a superb camera for everyday use and always having it with you. I am most impressed with its low-light capabilities to support my restaurant foodography hobby. If the N8 is better, I could probably make a case that my Canon point and shoot subcompact or my Olympus DSLR is better still, but that is not the point.

The point is the iPhone 4S IQ is good enough for internet social media be it Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Pinterist, Photobucket, Flickr, posting to various message boards, etc. It is more than good enough for scrapbooking and printing out standard 4 x 6 photos. It is good enough to not worry if caught in a photo situation without your other, better cameras. You can always take photos to your computer and post process there, but with the 4S you have a dizzying choice of apps to do it on the spot and immediately post right where you took the photo. Then there is just the pure fun of using the iPhone be it Instagram, Hipstamatic or many other camera simulators. Then there is the absolute seamlessness between your Mac, iPad and iPhone via iCloud if you work in the Applesphere. No one else can provide that seamless no-brainer integration amongst so many devices.
--
Davydd
http://www.porktenderloinsandwich.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads