Nex UNDERWATER

Started Dec 4, 2011 | Discussions
elpardo Forum Member • Posts: 87
Re: just received mine.... yes !!!!

Bobby Handal wrote:

here is the housing for the Nex C3

http://www.foto-tip.pl/sklep/product_info.php?currency=GBP&products_id=2217&language=en

Many Thanks for this, it will be perfect for my honeymoon later this year!

elpardo's gear list:elpardo's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-C3 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +4 more
Erwin83 New Member • Posts: 1
Re: cheap NEX-3 underwater camera found

alatriste wrote:

I have submerged the housing to 4 meter in the sea, with no camera inside and from a dock for 20 minutes. Everything ok.
If sea is ok i will try to start recording next weekends.

Did you test the case? I have the nex 5n and am really interested in the results.

Erwin83's gear list:Erwin83's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N
RedMangrove Junior Member • Posts: 36
Re: cheap NEX-3 underwater camera found

Same here... anxiously waiting.

turnstyle
turnstyle Senior Member • Posts: 1,976
Re: Nex UNDERWATER

Is anybody here familiar with the Dicapac bags? I think this is the one that fits NEX, with the advantage that it would presumably fit all of NEX'es:

http://www.dicapacusa.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=WP610

Curious to know if anybody has any opinions...

David ap Junior Member • Posts: 29

I've not used that make but I friend of mine had something similar for his video camera when we went diving last year.

It was perfectly waterproof but as you decent the pressure forces the plastic against the camera and can make it tricky to operate.

Don't know what they cost for NEX, but there is no substitute for a proper housing.

pleasure Regular Member • Posts: 163
luke8 Forum Member • Posts: 50

I used a digipack during the trip to the Maledives in December. I went diving with it

down to 18 meters. As somebody states below, it is not operable down there. It is constantly autofocusing due to the pressure on the nex. It works fine up to about 8 meters under the water. I could only use the 16-mm-lens. The 18-55 does not fit and you could not operate the zoom anyway. I took some quite nice shots. Most of the videos where ok concerning the qualitay of the film, but, as there is no stabilization in the 16 mm, very shaky. Waves and currents also do not help a lot. Still, after sorting out all the misshots and shaky parts of films, there were still some nice and usable pictures and films left So I recommend the digipacks for holidays. I paid 29 Euros for it and had a lot of fun and memories from under the surface, which I would have missed without the digipack.

If you want to take serious underwater photos and films you need an expensive case and you also need light, as the colours fade quickly the deeper you dive.

luke8's gear list:luke8's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +1 more
turnstyle

pleasure wrote:

I have used the Dicapac H10

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1042&message=39959974

Just curious, why the WPH10 rather than the WP610?

Dicapac's fitting page seems to suggest WP610 for NEX:
http://www.dicapacusa.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=3

From what I can tell, the H10 has a bigger bag but the same lens fitting, so if the NEX fits in the 610, is there a reason for the H10. Is it that you have another camera?

turnstyle

luke8 wrote:

I used a digipack during the trip to the Maledives in December. {snip} I could only use the 16-mm-lens. The 18-55 does not fit and you could not operate the zoom anyway.

Thanks, do you know which Digipack model you used? 610?

Do you know if there's a way to fit a longer lens? I'm specifically thinking of the 24Z, though the thought of dunking this combo is a very scary indeed!

The 610 looked like being a very close fit, for for an extra quid or so I got the H10. There is probably room for the flash on top & I cut the foam packing bits supplied to go under the nex - which means if it did spring a leak & "if" I noticed it there is room for water to puddle underneath before the camera drowned.......

Both the 16 & 18-55 are a snug fit in the lens tube & by squezzing the tube you can zoom the 18-55.... not that I have underwater that is.

The H10 has more room to get the lens in the tube although it is a tight fit with zoom.

The 18-55 touches the glass at the fornt, but as the bag is soft it can move forward OK. There is an extension tube supplied, but that caused bad vignetting with both the 16 & 18-55.

luke8 Forum Member • Posts: 50

I used the 610. Using the wide angle of the 16 mm you might see the edges oft the tube of the 610 (like looking through a bulleye. Once you are under water, the pressure of the water solves the problem.

luke8's gear list:luke8's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +1 more
turnstyle

pleasure wrote:

Both the 16 & 18-55 are a snug fit in the lens tube & by squezzing the tube you can zoom the 18-55.... not that I have underwater that is.

You can use the 1855 in the Dicapac? I thought only the 16 would fit. In my case, it seems the 24Z would be ideal, and it's roughly the same size as the 18-55 (a pinch longer) -- and I obviously wouldn't be zooming it.

turnstyle
to luke8 and pleasusre

I'm also curious to know your "gut" feeling about the Dicapac -- did you feel confident that your camera be safe? Can you say anything about the design/construction/materials -- or were you both thinking "well, if I kill my camera, I can go buy a newer/better model"?

Re: to luke8 and pleasusre

It looks well made and the tube cap seals well.....

But I still felt it was a risk - but as you astutely say, a great excuse to get a 5n

The bag is heavy vinyl type material, large welds holding it together, a big o-ring to seal the tube. The bit that seemed the most vulnerable is the closure, a single inbuilt ziploc type seal then multiple folds with 2 velco strips to hold it closed.

In use there was no hint of seepage at the opening or elsewhere.

Seeing the display in use was tougher as I was snorkelling in the red sea sun, even with display on sunny, I was squinting to see, so I ended up 90% just guessing. Lots of interesting fish tails etc, but some nice shots as well. Next trip in May I will use the zoom as the os can only help.

Miguel Teotonio
Miguel Teotonio Contributing Member • Posts: 599

I have just received my meike underwater housing for nex5 and 16mm lens. My first impressions:

• very good material (same level as my original sony underwater case for w80)

• hard to open once you close the damn thing

• the o-ring has a mark originated by the hard job to close the case

I like the fact that all the commands inside the housing are rubber made, this prevents the camera of being scratched ...
I also like the 2 extra o-rings

I'll do a 20 meter dive with the case empty. If everything goes OK then I'll do it with the camera inside.

Hope to hear from you too ...
--
Miguel Teotónio

Miguel Teotonio's gear list:Miguel Teotonio's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X70 Sony a7 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 50mm F1.8 +2 more
dannyhightower1 Forum Member • Posts: 68

I'm really excited to find this.

I ordered both models today and plan to sell the one i dont want to use. But I have a dive trip to Cozumel in a month so i could really use your guys help with a couple of questions.

Can someone measure the outside diameter of the lens tube and let me know what it is?

Can you tell if the blue ring on the tube performs a critical role or just provides some lens protection for drops and such?

What was your time from our to delivery to the US?

The reason im asking all of these questions is that there are "wet lens" companies (Fantasea is one) which attach under water to the front of the housing and can be taken off during the dive. This is a real hot ticket because that gives you 2 lenses on a single dive.

I got this off of wetpixel.com "The 16mm pancake comes out to a 24mm equivalent, the NEX cameras are APS-C sensors (1.5 crop)...HOWEVER The ports for the pancake lens is a flat port, so there is a 20% increase in magnification due to diffraction, so you get about 29mm equivalency"

So if you want something wider than 29MM (and you do!) the wet port is the way to go. I believe if you try to buy the longer version (for the kit lens) and try to use the pancake and WA or Fisheye you will have huge vignetting problems because the flat port on the housing.

I hope some of this information helps others and if you guys who already have the house could pass along those dimensions I'll do the legwork on the ports.

Thank you,
Danny
Dallas

Miguel Teotonio
Miguel Teotonio Contributing Member • Posts: 599

I tought of buying the one for the 18-55 but decided to get the 16 mm housing because with the 18-55 case I also read you couldn't use the 16 plus fisheye/wa without getting vignetting.

The blue ring function is only for keeping two kind of plastics together. There is a rubber beneath the blue ring that prevents water leaks. There are two kind of plastics because the one in front of the lens is weaker/thinner to increase image quality. That is what I think.
--
Miguel Teotónio

Miguel Teotonio's gear list:Miguel Teotonio's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X70 Sony a7 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 50mm F1.8 +2 more

I think you are right but I hope that not the case and its just for edge protection.

Without seeing the unit my best guess would be to take the blue ring off then put a xx -> 64mm lens adapter on it. (Maybe a 70mm to cover the outside diameter and 64mm inside?). You would use the blue ring as a template and drill holes into the new lens adapter and mount the adapter using the original blue ring screws onto the housing. After that you should be able to mount the Canon 64mm wet lenses to it during your dives just like everyone else..

The only question would be is about the picture quality with this new NEX setup. I have both of the linkdelight units on order and will buy a NEX5N for testing. What i dont have are the cool 5 -> 5N conversion buttons or a wet lens.

If we find a way to mount the lens I'll contact Inon and Fantasea to see how i can get my hands on ones to test.

Do you guys now how many $1000's cheaper this will be to a aps-c DSLR setup?? The camera, housing, lens and dome for a Canon T2i is around $4100 compared to $1250 for what we are talking about...

Sorry about the lines above. There was no way to to undo that after posting...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads