Nex UNDERWATER

Started Dec 4, 2011 | Discussions
MikeStern Junior Member • Posts: 29
Nex UNDERWATER

I know there are expensive housings out there like aquatica an-5 etc. but I found this on eBay today. And can't find any info about the company, can't find a YouTube video of opening box or anything.

Anybody knows anything about this decent lookin yet very reasonable housing? ($81)
Description says it is for nex 5. Do you thing nex5n will work in this guy?

Honestly it reminds me of Canon's sd point and shoot housings which are reliable and inexpensive.

http://www.linkdelight.com/C5L-40M-Underwater-Camera-Case-for-Sony-NEX-5-16mm-F2.8-Lens.html
It's on eBay:

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=290639986126&index=1&nav=SEARCH&nid=42687240779

Sony Alpha NEX-5N
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Worsel6 New Member • Posts: 7
Re: Nex UNDERWATER

I actually ordered this one a few days ago. When it arrives (hopefully within couple of weeks), I will post how it works out.

Ronbeau Forum Member • Posts: 91

Definitely post how this works for you. I just bought a panny p&s with a housing for an upcoming trip to the solomon islands over christmas. Couldn't justify $1500 for a NEX housing. I searched everywhere looking for a reasonable solution for my nex, so my guess is this is very new to market. Should have waited a couple more weeks to test this out. I hope it works out for you! I'll be keen to see how the nex goes while diving.

Ronbeau's gear list:Ronbeau's gear list
Sony a6000
OP MikeStern Junior Member • Posts: 29

Oh Wow good News. I will wait to hear you reviewing it for us.

Ok.

• nex systems are very popular, sales are crazy.

• great video quality,

• smaller to handle,

• nex 3, c3, 5 and now 5n bodies are similarly built...

We do expect somebody come out with a underwater case that can accommodate and won't cost more than the camera itself. At the end we are not gonna pro shoot with it.

Am I wrong...

Looking forward to hear more about this product -that doesnt even have a name.

kev777zero
kev777zero Senior Member • Posts: 1,681

whoa! a camera house that costs cheaper than one dive...too good to be true? definitely keep us posted whether this works or not! especially if it's compatible on other models like 5N
--
http://kev777zero.artistswanted.org/gallery
http://www.wix.com/drkevinlyu/photography

kev777zero's gear list:kev777zero's gear list
Sony a7 III Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III Sony FE 35mm F1.4 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 Sony RX100 VI
Redbeeerd Regular Member • Posts: 154

Too bad it doesnt seem to support the 50mm lens :-/
Ill buy it anyway
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mengdahl/

jementa Junior Member • Posts: 33

Just got my new NEX-5N today and still have my old NEX-5. On comparison, the on/off switch is slightly shifted to the center probably 1mm to accomodate the record button shifting right (looking from the back). The reason why the record button moved? this is to accomodate the play button moving from the top plate to the angle plate in line with the record button, making it easier to reach.

Just from the changes, the device needs to change a little bit to accomodate, play back, video recording and on/off. I don't think it will work with the NEX-5N but I am sure they will put up a new one for NEX-5N soon since it is so popular.

I am tempted to buy the case and try it on both.......something to budget for....

joaquin100 Senior Member • Posts: 1,813

MikeStern wrote:

I know there are expensive housings out there like aquatica an-5 etc. but I found this on eBay today. And can't find any info about the company, can't find a YouTube video of opening box or anything.

Anybody knows anything about this decent lookin yet very reasonable housing? ($81)
Description says it is for nex 5. Do you thing nex5n will work in this guy?

Honestly it reminds me of Canon's sd point and shoot housings which are reliable and inexpensive.

Looks ideed like the Canons, i had one for my ixuss S500 and the housing was 200 USD, i mean if this suits NEX5N will be a HOME RUN.

Mike Wee Contributing Member • Posts: 662

Very interesting, twice as expensive on ebay than linkdelight

-- hide signature --

Ex-Tee-Eye * 50 1,8 * 17-85
En-Ee-Ex-5 * 16 * 18-55 * 55-210 * CV 35 1,4

Mike Wee's gear list:Mike Wee's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony Alpha NEX-5 Canon EOS 400D Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +11 more
Tord S Eriksson
Tord S Eriksson Forum Pro • Posts: 11,387

Seems an OK unit for the NEX-5 with the 16mm lens! Great tip! Good supplier by the way!
--
tord (at) mindless (dot) com

Tord S Eriksson's gear list:Tord S Eriksson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon 1 V2 +25 more
Mike Wee Contributing Member • Posts: 662

I assume you mean link delight, have you had a good experience with them?
--
----------------------------
Ex-Tee-Eye * 50 1,8 * 17-85
En-Ee-Ex-5 * 16 * 18-55 * 55-210 * CV 35 1,4

Mike Wee's gear list:Mike Wee's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony Alpha NEX-5 Canon EOS 400D Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +11 more

Yes it is too good to be true. So good that I may not wait for any reviews about it and just buy the sucker. I will make it work this way or that way on my nex5n
I am in hawaii now and earlier I have it the better.

Worsel6 I am impatiently waiting to hear from you.

M

Legendash Forum Member • Posts: 55

Looks funky, I like the way they left space for the flash. There's not a lot of light at 40m down.

Question is will this work on an NEX-3? From what i remember the grip shape is different and the body is slightly bigger but other than that they're quite similar.

Legendash's gear list:Legendash's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3 Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN
Tord S Eriksson

Mike Wee wrote:

--

Indeed I have! Not the fastest deliveries, but otherwise, good and honest to deal with!

-- hide signature --

Tord S Eriksson

I just sent this email to LinkDelight:

I see you have a UW housing for the NEX-5, which not quite has the same button layout as the NEX-5.

Could you keep me informed when a true NEX-5N housing is available?!

I know there are lots of people interested in a housing like the one you have, at DPReview NEX Talk, for instance, but made for the 5N!

Everything else I've bought from you has worked as planned, by the way!

Tord S Eriksson wrote:

Mike Wee wrote:

--

Indeed I have! Not the fastest deliveries, but otherwise, good and honest to deal with!

-- hide signature --

I sent a question to them last week too. They wrote back 2 days later and said:
LinkDelight Limited wrote:

"We will check it with our technical staff and when we get the answer,we will contact you at the first time.Thanks"

It's been another 3 days past. Waiting.

M

Worsel6 New Member • Posts: 7

I received the housing. The quality and overall impression is about similar to the Canon/Panasonic housings for the small cameras. The only real shortcoming I can see is that they use un-coated glass in front of the lens.
The housing is quite large about the size of A-77 body.

Important note: While the NEX-5n fits in the housing, and most of the buttons work OK, the Play and Movie buttons do not work. I can see some ways to modify these buttons in the housing, but if you use the housing with 5N be aware of this handicap.
With regular NEX-5 everything works great!
Too bad I did not know about Linkdelight - I paid the eBay price...

macsoft3 Regular Member • Posts: 151

cool! any way to use the 18-55 kit lens with it?

toxotis700
toxotis700 Contributing Member • Posts: 675

Can you try it , in your bathroom maybe ?
Is it reliable ?

toxotis700
toxotis700 Contributing Member • Posts: 675

also, can you please post a picture with/without housing ?
To see the quality loss....

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads