Modifying a 49mm UV filter to fit the Z990 48.55mm lens
Here is an interesting thread in a Taiwanese forum with many images. You do not need to understand the Chinese language to read it. You need to click the URLs inside the posts to see the images.
It reports an interesting DIY project by a Z990 owner to modify the screw threads of a 49mm UV filter to fit the 48.5mm lens of the Z990:
The crux of the Taiwanese post is as follows:
Work around the 49mm filter's circumference, use a finger file to rub down the screw threads of the filter. Be patient. File a bit at one time and then try to fit the filter into the 48.5mm lens. If still too tight, file a little more. So on and so forth. Do not be too ambitious and file down the filter a lot in one go. This may lead to too loose a fit. In the end, a nice fit is achieved. There is no need to use any super-glue. There is also no need to file the rim of the 49mm lens.
Hope the above summary helps forumers who cannot read the Chinese language!
Further information regarding the lens cover discussed in the Taiwanese thread:
(1) One user bought an OEM lens cover for the 49mm filter. See the images in the post by "bill36112000" at the bottom of the thread.
(2) Another user filed down the two shutter arcs of the Kodak original cover. He also filed down the rim of the 49mm filter to shorten its height. See the images in the post by "asawang" near the bottom of the thread.
Arghhh ! why did they not make the thread 49mm in the first place ?
(2) He also filed down the rim of the 49mm filter to shorten its height.
I suppose he was having problems with vignetting ? That is interesting, I have a polarising filter for the P880, but at full wide angle,there is slight vignetting, grinding down the filter could be a solution... thanks for posting this !
So there are 48.5mm threads on that lens, or is he just making the filter a "push fit?"
No, thread on the barrel. It is a push fit. They just file down a 49mm to 48.5mm.
Nikon D5000 / Kodak Z990 P880 DX7590 Z915 DX6440 V803 M420 C190 C875 Zx3
Kodak Digital Cameras Galleries
- Canon EOS M58.8%
- Panasonic G85/G803.3%
- Panasonic FZ2500/FZ20001.9%
- Panasonic LX10/LX151.2%
- Panasonic GH5 development3.6%
- Sony a99 II15.9%
- Nikon KeyMission 170 and 801.0%
- Fujifilm GFX 50S development28.3%
- Olympus E-M1 II development18.7%
- Olympus E-PL80.1%
- Olympus 25mm F1.2 Pro1.5%
- Olympus 12-100mm F4 IS Pro1.9%
- Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro0.1%
- Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art3.6%
- Sigma 12-24mm F4 Art2.6%
- Sigma 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Sport2.4%
- YI M12.2%
- GoPro Hero50.8%
- GoPro Karma drone2.2%
|Sadiqur_Rahman by Sadiqur Rahman|
from Ain't Going to Work on Maggie's Farm no More
|Airborne by John Beavin|
from - How to respect the Flag and Anthem - (Portrait in Full Colours + A Border)