Fisheye effect on Canon 60D?

Started Nov 29, 2011 | Discussions
Madkiki Junior Member • Posts: 49
Fisheye effect on Canon 60D?

Which is a good Fish eye lens for a 60D and yes I want that fish eye look?

Would the Sigma 10mm F2.8 EX DC HSM Diagonal Fisheye give me the Fish Eye effect on a Canon 60D camera?

Does the Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Fisheye Ultra-Wide Zoom Lens work well on the 60D?

Thank you
Keith

Canon EOS 60D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Martin Ocando
Martin Ocando Veteran Member • Posts: 6,638
Re: Fisheye effect on Canon 60D?

The Sigma 8-16mm will give you the fisheye effect without the blackened borders. And if you like the borders, simply leave the hood extension on, and it will darken the edges.

Check these:

Madkiki wrote:

Which is a good Fish eye lens for a 60D and yes I want that fish eye look?

Would the Sigma 10mm F2.8 EX DC HSM Diagonal Fisheye give me the Fish Eye effect on a Canon 60D camera?

Does the Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Fisheye Ultra-Wide Zoom Lens work well on the 60D?

Thank you
Keith

-- hide signature --

Martin Ocando
-------------------------

Martin Ocando's gear list:Martin Ocando's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH +13 more
OP Madkiki Junior Member • Posts: 49

Those are very nice photos, but they look more like very wide angle and not Fish Eye. I checked out that lens from B&H and it says Ultra wide lens and not fish eye lens.

robatbitpackrat Junior Member • Posts: 25

I use the Rokinon FE8M-C 8mm F3.5 Fisheye. It's been a fun lens and the price was right for how much I think I'll use it.

(The metadata is wrong, it's a manual lens and I'm not sure why it got reported as 50mm)

Torkn Photo Forum Member • Posts: 56

It is possible to take a "fisheye" photo with a normal rectilinear lens. All you have to do is use panoramic software (such as PT Gui Pro or PTAssembler) to convert the source images to a fisheye projection.

You just shoot enough overlapping images with your rectilinear (normal) lens to cover the field of view of the fisheye lens you wish to imitate. A 10mm lens or shorter will do it in fewer images than say a 50mm lens, but both are quite capable to duplicating the fisheye effect. As a bonus, the resulting image will probably be much more detailed and high-resolution than it would be possible to take with a genuine fisheye lens.

It is more time consuming, but much cheaper than purchasing a fisheye lens for the 1 or 2 times that you want to use it.

Lemming51
Lemming51 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,245
Tokina 10-16 FE, Sigma 4.5 circ FE, Sigma 10 FE

Madkiki wrote:

Those are very nice photos, but they look more like very wide angle and not Fish Eye. I checked out that lens from B&H and it says Ultra wide lens and not fish eye lens.

Right. The Sigma 8-16 is very wide angle, but it is a rectilinear design.

Usual suspects for FishEye on crop bodies are:

• Sigma 4.5mm f/2.8 EX DC HMS Circular Fisheye (circular image in the middle of the frame, 180° in all directions)

• Sigma 10mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM Fisheye (fills the frame, but 180° only in the diagonal)

• Tokina 10-17 f/3.5-4.5 DX Fisheye (fills the frame, 180° diagonal at 10mm zoom).

• if price is no object, EF 8-15 f/4L Fisheye USM

-- hide signature --

Unapologetic Canon Apologist

Lemming51's gear list:Lemming51's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +5 more
OP Madkiki Junior Member • Posts: 49
Re: Tokina 10-16 FE, Sigma 4.5 circ FE, Sigma 10 FE

That is what worries me about the Canon 8-15mm $1,500 lens, is it going to be worth all that money on a Canon 60D?

Kitacanon Senior Member • Posts: 2,802
Re: Tokina 10-16 FE, Sigma 4.5 circ FE, Sigma 10 FE

$1500 is a bit steep...

I just got this new "toy"....a Spiratone 7mm fisheye and am first learning how to use it...here's my first real attempt....

This shot on Canon 40D @ F22 (it stops down to 45 so I may take a tripod and try it there), ISO 400 taken at Wakodahatchee Florida

Soft and a lot of CA and thought it might improve @ F45, but I was advised to try F8 instead....a lot yet to learn....but for $12.....it's a nice toy....

Kitacanon's gear list:Kitacanon's gear list
Nikon D610 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads