Fuji x10 flash

Started Nov 27, 2011 | Discussions
jcbugoy Forum Member • Posts: 73
Fuji x10 flash

Does the Nikon flash work on the Fuji X10? Such as the SB-400? Sorry for the ignorant question.

Fujifilm X10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jmringo Regular Member • Posts: 100
Re: Fuji x10 flash

According to this review the SB-400 doesn't fire and the SB-800 doesn't meter properly and is difficult to adjust. Anyone try any other Nikon flashes? I'm still considering getting the X10. Overall I like what i see so far.

http://www.tangentphoto.com/reviews/fujix10camerareview.html

morepix
morepix Veteran Member • Posts: 9,699
Re: Fuji x10 flash

I'm never willing to mess around with brand Y speedlights on brand X cameras because of warnings I've read about damage that can result from voltage mismatch. Also, even if there's no damage, doing without TTL thoroughly disqualifies a flash for me. In fact, just being a flash pretty much disqualifies a flash for me, with a little tolerance left for bounce flash.

But that's just me, and doesn't contribute much toward answering the question.
--
http://www.pbase.com/morepix

 morepix's gear list:morepix's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Panasonic LX100 Sony RX100 VA Ricoh GR III Olympus OM-D E-M10 III
b52 s Contributing Member • Posts: 782
Re: Fuji x10 flash

jcbugoy wrote:

Does the Nikon flash work on the Fuji X10? Such as the SB-400? Sorry for the ignorant question.

The sb-26, sb-80dx, sb-800, sb-900 work with an sc-17 cord. I did not see an
external flash commander mode which can fire the sb-80dx and newer models
in remote SU-4 mode. Unfortunately they all have to set manually.

 b52 s's gear list:b52 s's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
andix Regular Member • Posts: 154
Re: Fuji x10 flash

it was discussed here before.

the answer is NO, unless only in manual.

everything else (TTL, E-TTL, AF) does NOT work. for the simple reason that the pin layout on the camera is DIFFERENT from the layout on the flash. as simple as looking on the hotshoes and figure this by oneself.

it is my understanding that they USED to work prior to the X100 and X10. (correct me if I'm wrong.)

-- hide signature --

indecision may or may not be my problem...

http://www.americandusk.com

 andix's gear list:andix's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100S Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake +15 more
Radu Grozescu
Radu Grozescu Senior Member • Posts: 1,781
Re: Fuji x10 flash

b52 s wrote:

I did not see an
external flash commander mode which can fire the sb-80dx and newer models
in remote SU-4 mode. Unfortunately they all have to set manually.

One can use the internal X10 flash to fire external flashes in SU-4 mode.
In the menu is an option: External flash

Turning this ON will cause the camera to fire a weak flash, just to fire the external ones.

-- hide signature --

Radu Grozescu

http://www.RaduGrozescu.com
Corporate & Editorial Photography

 Radu Grozescu's gear list:Radu Grozescu's gear list
Sony a6500 Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 20mm F2.8 +4 more
Kim Letkeman
Kim Letkeman Forum Pro • Posts: 33,437
Re: Fuji x10 flash

morepix wrote:

I'm never willing to mess around with brand Y speedlights on brand X cameras because of warnings I've read about damage that can result from voltage mismatch. Also, even if there's no damage, doing without TTL thoroughly disqualifies a flash for me. In fact, just being a flash pretty much disqualifies a flash for me, with a little tolerance left for bounce flash.

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

Nikons have very low trigger voltages, and Fuji are known for very high tolerances. But, of course, they have the right to change that at any time ...

And yes, dedicated TTL flash is much better. But when one owns flashes of other brands (I own 4 Nikons and a Pentax), one can use A mode on the compact if the flash supports A mode in the shoe ...

 Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Nikon D600 Nikon D7200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +17 more
Kim Letkeman
Kim Letkeman Forum Pro • Posts: 33,437
Re: Fuji x10 flash

andix wrote:

it was discussed here before.

the answer is NO, unless only in manual.

everything else (TTL, E-TTL, AF) does NOT work. for the simple reason that the pin layout on the camera is DIFFERENT from the layout on the flash. as simple as looking on the hotshoes and figure this by oneself.

it is my understanding that they USED to work prior to the X100 and X10. (correct me if I'm wrong.)

All "other brand" flashes would rely on the contact of the one main pin in the center. It is, of course, an issue that you have to watch out for TTL pins that happen to match locations. That might cause some goofy behavior.

But A mode (thrystor cut off based on light sensor in flash) should work with most models on the X10. The SB700 apparently only enables that mode in SU4 mode, so it must be triggered optically (apparently) but other models may not have that restriction.

Trigger voltage info can be found here ...

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

 Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Nikon D600 Nikon D7200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +17 more
Radu Grozescu
Radu Grozescu Senior Member • Posts: 1,781
Re: Fuji x10 flash

Kim Letkeman wrote:

one can use A mode on the compact if the flash supports A mode in the shoe ...

It does. I tried an old SB 80DX and it works great in A mode.

The only problem is that it does not go under F:2.8 at 200 ISO, which is F:4 at 400 ISO and so on, loosing the wonderful capabilities of the X10.

Neither is the SB 800. The SB 900 goes to ISO 3200 at F:1.4, but it is much too big for the X10

-- hide signature --

Radu Grozescu

http://www.RaduGrozescu.com
Corporate & Editorial Photography

 Radu Grozescu's gear list:Radu Grozescu's gear list
Sony a6500 Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 20mm F2.8 +4 more
Kim Letkeman
Kim Letkeman Forum Pro • Posts: 33,437
Re: Fuji x10 flash

Radu Grozescu wrote:

Kim Letkeman wrote:

one can use A mode on the compact if the flash supports A mode in the shoe ...

It does. I tried an old SB 80DX and it works great in A mode.

The only problem is that it does not go under F:2.8 at 200 ISO, which is F:4 at 400 ISO and so on, loosing the wonderful capabilities of the X10.

Flash photography is really dependent on distance and flash power, so I'm a bit shocked that you cannot set f/2 with this model ... it goes down to 1/128 power (a remarkable 8 stops) ...

Are you trying to shoot at 200 ISO for a reason? Perhaps 100 ISO will work ...

Neither is the SB 800. The SB 900 goes to ISO 3200 at F:1.4, but it is much too big for the X10

These are probably just firmware issues ... i.e. combinations the designers chose ...

Try setting the power in manual mode ... perhaps you can use f/2 then ... and if you shoot RAW, you can try to recover any slightly over exposed areas ... (shoot DR400 in M size for that) ...

 Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Nikon D600 Nikon D7200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +17 more
Brandon Herring Regular Member • Posts: 200
Re: Fuji x10 flash

The SB800 is completely inconsistent in any mode on the X10. Only manual would it fire regular. Even A mode was not working well..

Radu Grozescu
Radu Grozescu Senior Member • Posts: 1,781
Re: Fuji x10 flash

Kim Letkeman wrote:

Radu Grozescu wrote:

Kim Letkeman wrote:

one can use A mode on the compact if the flash supports A mode in the shoe ...

It does. I tried an old SB 80DX and it works great in A mode.

The only problem is that it does not go under F:2.8 at 200 ISO, which is F:4 at 400 ISO and so on, loosing the wonderful capabilities of the X10.

Flash photography is really dependent on distance and flash power, so I'm a bit shocked that you cannot set f/2 with this model ... it goes down to 1/128 power (a remarkable 8 stops) ...

I was talking about the A mode. This is a flash limitation, probably it is not able to stop the discharge soon enough to get lower than F: 2.8 at 200 ISO.

As I already said, the SB 900 can, but it is a more recent flash.

I am pretty familiar with the Nikon flashes, so I know about manual steps

-- hide signature --

Radu Grozescu

http://www.RaduGrozescu.com
Corporate & Editorial Photography

 Radu Grozescu's gear list:Radu Grozescu's gear list
Sony a6500 Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 20mm F2.8 +4 more
Radu Grozescu
Radu Grozescu Senior Member • Posts: 1,781
Re: Fuji x10 flash

Brandon Herring wrote:

The SB800 is completely inconsistent in any mode on the X10. Only manual would it fire regular. Even A mode was not working well..

I just tried an SB800 on the X10:

The X10 in Manual mode, 1/1000s, F:4.0, ISO 400, WB Auto
External Flash ON in the shooting menu.

The SB in A mode, 400 ISO, F:4.0

The flash fired everytime and the exposures were consistent enough to be used.

For fast exposure fine-tuning, one can use the ISO setting on the X10 which can be reached quite easily.

-- hide signature --

Radu Grozescu

http://www.RaduGrozescu.com
Corporate & Editorial Photography

 Radu Grozescu's gear list:Radu Grozescu's gear list
Sony a6500 Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 20mm F2.8 +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads