A bit of moon

Started Nov 27, 2011 | Discussions
KeithAK New Member • Posts: 15
A bit of moon

Snapped this shot out front of the house after walking the dog. Had to run inside to grab the camera and tripod. Really have no clue which settings to choose so I ended up taking about 10 shots over about 5 minutes (didn't want to lose the late sunset light). Considering how small the moon was to the naked eye it's really amazing to see that the "dark" sides of the moon actually are visible.

This was with my D7000 with the kit lens. This is the unmodified raw shot.

Nothing special but it was fun to catch the moon and sunset right at that state and to actually get what seems to be a decent shot. Not quite sure what the light is to the upper left of the moon.... research time!

Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
fringephoto Contributing Member • Posts: 963
Re: A bit of moon

Neat looking shot

AV Janus Senior Member • Posts: 1,994

Wasn't capturing earth shine a somewhat difficult thing to do?
How lucky is this?
--
Rick Halle wrote:

" Keep in mind that tall buildings sway back and forth so they require faster shutter speeds."

AV Janus's gear list:AV Janus's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +10 more
j_brownch Regular Member • Posts: 346
Re: I like...

Really nice capture Keith. If it were mine it would be heading for a prime wall in the house.

The bright spot to the left of the moon could be the planet Venus. At this time of year, depending on location, it is visible in that area, and is also referred to as "The Evening Star".

Thanks for sharing.

Jim

OP KeithAK New Member • Posts: 15

AV Janus wrote:

Wasn't capturing earth shine a somewhat difficult thing to do?
How lucky is this?
--
Rick Halle wrote:

" Keep in mind that tall buildings sway back and forth so they require faster shutter speeds."

Lol, I'd love to say it was "very" difficult, but that would assume I put a lot of thought into it I'm still in the discovery phase, really trying to learn with only a very basic knowledge of the science behind shooting.

I think the timing was pretty lucky and I was pretty shocked to see the earth shine as you refer to it. Came out very nice. Hoping to have many more down the road!

Thanks Jim. I thought it might be Venus, but it's been so long since I really looked at the night sky I had forgotten how bright it can be. Not living in Southern California any longer is not necessarily a bad thing for sky shots!

Bob in Baltimore
Bob in Baltimore Contributing Member • Posts: 977

Yes, that is Venus. Jupiter is also in the sky at this time, but it is over to the East at sunset.

As for capturing the Earthshine, you can do this pretty much every month when the Moon is between 1 & 3 days old. The quality will vary, depending on how dark the sky is where you are, and how cloudy the Sun lit portion of the Earth to your west is. (Clouds are about twice as reflective as the land surface and 5 times as reflective as the ocean.)

You can also capture this about a week earlier just before the New Moon.

All other things being equal, you will get a better results in the winter (if you are in the Northern Hemisphere) as the Moon rises at a steeper angle to the horizon, and therefore the sky is less bright at any given time after sunset.

Nice shot.

-- hide signature --

Bob in Baltimore

Bob in Baltimore's gear list:Bob in Baltimore's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR
garyhgaryh Contributing Member • Posts: 551

Nice, I took this at Big Sur last night and was wondering what the light on the left was.

Thanks for sharing.

This picture was taken on a D5100 with a Tamron 18-270mm lens.

I could have done better. I took the picture at the end of the zoom range at a high ISO of, I believe, 3200. I also had my 18-200mm Nikkor lens, but I wouldn't have gotten so 'close'.
Comments welcomed!
Gary

KeithAK wrote:

Snapped this shot out front of the house after walking the dog. Had to run inside to grab the camera and tripod. Really have no clue which settings to choose so I ended up taking about 10 shots over about 5 minutes (didn't want to lose the late sunset light). Considering how small the moon was to the naked eye it's really amazing to see that the "dark" sides of the moon actually are visible.

This was with my D7000 with the kit lens. This is the unmodified raw shot.

Nothing special but it was fun to catch the moon and sunset right at that state and to actually get what seems to be a decent shot. Not quite sure what the light is to the upper left of the moon.... research time!

herbymel Veteran Member • Posts: 6,153

I like the shot, I like the contrast of the silhouette against the homes. It's something that probably would be lost if it was something that filled the frame.

It's amazing the darkness of the skies from SoCal, to there, I'm sure there is quite the difference. People don't realize how much we've lost with the way we've lit up our world.

For some reason I haven't taken any shots of the moon, perhaps in the next cycle I'll try to get some "moon over the mountain" shots if it's not pouring or overcast.

herbymel's gear list:herbymel's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4D ED-IF II +6 more
Bob in Baltimore
Bob in Baltimore Contributing Member • Posts: 977
Best times to shoot the Earthshine

I over-simplified my comment about the best time to go after the Earthshine. I relied on doing the equivalent of complex spherical trigonometry in my head rather than resorting to brute force simulations. As Danny Glover famously said in Lethal Weapon II, I am getting to old for this!

Using Starry Night Pro, I see that the height of the Moon above the horizon during evening twilight is pretty good now, and gets steadily better through about March. It remains favorable though June. August-September are the worst months.

All of this is for mid-latitude locations in the Northern Hemisphere.

So put on your warm clothes, protect you camera from having condensation form when you bring it back in from the cold, and go for it over the next few months.

Here is a NASA web site that has some more information on how the Earthshine varies with cloud cover. Turns out that springtime is the best for having a nearly full, cloud covered Earth shining on the Moon.
http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2002/12apr_earthshine/

One last thing. The optimum times for viewing this in the morning sky (in the Northern Hemisphere) are shifted by 6 months from the evening view.
--
Bob in Baltimore

Bob in Baltimore's gear list:Bob in Baltimore's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR

Interesting shot! Has a somewhat surreal, illustrative affect like something you'd see on the cover of a sci fi novel.

ImogeneM New Member • Posts: 2

What a lovely photograph you have! I would frame it for sure. Others can criticize the tech aspects of the photo. However,I need to beg to differ concerning the planet in your photo which is Jupiter. I have been watching it for the last month now and checking out the moons surrounding it.

Venus riises at 5:30 am , much earlier than Jupiter and sets in the mid afternoon.

paulpci
paulpci Forum Member • Posts: 79

I got a similar shot when I was at the Getty Center Sat night. Unfortunately, I didn't have a tripod, so I used my 35mm prime, which was going to be best in the low light. There's motion blur, but I'm still happy with the shot.

paulpci's gear list:paulpci's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S640 Nikon D5100
j_brownch Regular Member • Posts: 346
Re: According to this site...
DStan
DStan Forum Pro • Posts: 10,725
Probably Jupiter...

A couple of days ago I noticed the bright planet to the left of the moon. I took out my cellphone and checked the google Sky Map app which uses the GPS, magnetic compass, accelerometer and time from my cellphone to determine where I'm on the Earth, where the cellphone is pointed at and display a map of the heavens on the display as if you could see through the phone. Venus, a sugestion in another post, was nowhere on the map at the time and where I was in NJ. I just checked the time in your EXIF data and even though you're in Texas I think it was Jupiter.
If you happen to have an Android Smartphone, the app is free.
--
Stan ;o()

In the spirit of Occam’s Razor one should embrace the less complicated formulation or simply put, less is more.
http://standavidson.com/post/Birds

Re: Probably Jupiter...

I'll download it and give it a check

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads