Opinions Needed: Olympus OM 24mm VS Canon FDn 24mm

Started Nov 26, 2011 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Jonas B Forum Pro • Posts: 14,596
Re: Opinions Needed: Olympus OM 24mm VS Canon FDn 24mm

uhoh07 wrote:

(a lot)

Eh... I guess the camera model is classified information after all.

Jonas

loicc Regular Member • Posts: 491
Some shots with OM Zuiko 24 f2

Some shots at different apertures

loicc's gear list:loicc's gear list
Nikon D2H Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA +5 more
Alupang
Alupang OP Senior Member • Posts: 2,839
Re: Some shots with OM Zuiko 24 f2

Thanks a lot though I wish you went for another corner not obscured by the tree. It looks like f4 corner is sharper than f5.6 which I doubt is possible.

Maybe a misfocus so I take this with a grain of salt. Nice of you to try and by what I see at f4 this is a very good lens indeed. This is the star of the OM wideangle line of lenses I read.

But still, I think the FDn 24/2 would be a bit better overall. Tough call; both are great.

It sounds a bit strange to me too that it is sharper at F4 vs 5.6.
I' m not yet so easy with the peaking and the focus help on the nex screen.

I own this lense for years and bought it with my OM4 and a couple of Zuiko's at a bargain price.

Zuiko 24 f2 is hard to find and a bit expensive today. If the Canon is equal or better IQ for cheap price then it' s a no brainer.

Some crops of the left corner.

Nikon D2H Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA +5 more
Alupang
Alupang OP Senior Member • Posts: 2,839

Yeah I gave up on peaking long ago--it's nice for quick sloppy candid shots but not for critical work imo. I like manual assist much more.

Manual assist seems to be the better way to focus properly.
This one was at f5.6

jazzroy1972 Regular Member • Posts: 172
Re: Opinions Needed: Olympus OM 24mm VS Canon FDn 24mm

Maybe you could benefit from this article:

http://www.16-9.net/lens_tests/24mmcup/final/24mm_final1.html

They had Qualifying rounds with all sorts of 24mm range lenses, Canon 24 2.8 included (and much more expensive ones!)

http://www.16-9.net/lens_tests/24mmcup/index.html

But in the end the small, cheap, old OM 24 F2.8 made it to the final and there it even had a great score, holding easily on par with the top insanely expensive runners.

so...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads