X100 working like a charm now - new lens unit - comments

Started Nov 25, 2011 | Discussions
Sutto Contributing Member • Posts: 675
X100 working like a charm now - new lens unit - comments

I wrote on here a week ago saying that I sent my X100 off to Fuji Sydney to be repaired. All indications were looking as if the service would be terrible. I had written a few threads ago about my dealings with Fuji Australia and how I needed this thing repaired before I went to Vietnam in October. They did not move heaven and earth to do that for me so I took the defective camera to V/N for two weeks and shot everything in f2.

I had serious questions about the X100 if it could 'cut the mustard' when I will be in Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar in 2012 shooting for my website. I will be away for 7 months and need a second camera that is the real deal. I did not want to drag around another D700, so the X100 was going to be my 'wide angle lens'. My D700 has my trusted and proven 80-200 2.8D IFED.

Well, the X100 was repaired a week ago, and I am sure it was the new assembly everybody is talking about. Man it has revolutionized this thing. I have taken heaps and heaps of pics to make sure this thing is tested before I go away in early January 2012. Everything just seems to work better, the pics look gorgeous, the aperture ring has a more ratchety, solid feel to it, and I am just loving the experience of this camera. Fuji service worked out great and they had it back to me in Western Australia (I am in a desert town so mail takes ages to get to this isolated area), in a week and a half!!

My criticisms from V/N were that the start up time was too slow and auto-focus was too slow. I found the quick start-up mode and that has made a big difference. I also have started using the auto-focus with touching the afl button. Then if I am taking many shots of something at the same distance, it does not have to re-focus each time, just shoots very quickly. I also use manual a lot, but touch that afl button again, and that focuses and holds it there for many shots.

I am also using manual with the depth of field scale at the bottom. That is brilliant. So now when I am taking candids in the street, and don't want people to see me focusing on them, because then they react and I may lose the shot. I just point the camera at something else the same distance away as them, lock in manual, check I am in a suitable aperture for the depth of field (read off the scale at the bottom) - then whammo - I just bring it up and shoot them in an instant. Every time perfect focus and they have no time to react.

This is the type of photography I will be doing in Asia, and I really think now I have mastered the X100, it will be great. I love the thick creamy pic's I get on RAW and 'Apple Aperture' and in some ways they are just as good as my D700.

I have also looked in the lens, put it on f16, locked on manual and touched the shutter hundreds of times. The aperture blades still close perfectly every time, and have not missed a beat.

I am slowly starting to get my confidence back in Fuji and have fallen in love with the X100 experience all over again.

Sutto

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Paulo Abreu Veteran Member • Posts: 7,111
Re: X100 working like a charm now - new lens unit - comments

Hey Sutto,

I also have the new revised lens on my X100 and am pretty confident it won't fail again. I didn't have much time to shoot during the week and only took a short look at the new lens so I don't know yet what differences I will find, if any...

Did you find any physical difference in the new unit?

Regards
--
Paulo Abreu,

'It is not worthy to make a video of your life - just keep the best moments in
pictures!'

32°38'22.85"N 16°56'42.65"W

gava Senior Member • Posts: 1,032
Great news

For some of us that has been the experience from the start.

I would still take a small wide angle prime as a backup on your trip though.

-- hide signature --

Fuji X100 Fanboy #1
X100 blog -> http://peri.org.uk/wp/?tag=blog

OP Sutto Contributing Member • Posts: 675
Re: Great news

Thanks guys.

Paulo - yes I made the comment on my post last week that the aperture ring feels very different when I change apertures. Has a much more ratchety feel to it. Kind of more mechanical and definite as it clicks from aperture to aperture.

Gava - hey really liked your comments on the other thread - where the dude was railing against his X100. You were very calm (did not attack him personally as most people d0 - that is a no no), and you set out your hypothesis in a very calculated, intelligent form - well done. Yes I am taking my marvelous little Nikkor AFS 24-85G. If the X100 does decide to die on me, I will have a back-up.

Cheers

Sutto

Muus Regular Member • Posts: 268
Re: Great news

Very good news indeed. Hope for same with my X100 which is now in repair for the 2nd time. I love this little viewfinder camera, almost feel guilty about using my D700 so much less. My earlier rant was not so much directed at the camera or its design (I surmise the sticky blades issue was almost impossible to foresee, and this is not a perfect world - especially not where actions or techniques of us humans are involved), but more a reaction to the almost Kafka-esk lack of acknowledgment or down playing of this issue by some Fuji officials. I still think this is not the wisest approach possible in terms of public relations, that's all.

Outbacker Regular Member • Posts: 245

Glad to hear it's working well again Sutto.

I finally sent mine in today, after obsessively checking every day for the last week or two making sure that the problem was reproducible every time. Let's hope I get it back in time for Christmas!

Cheers

straylightrun Senior Member • Posts: 1,441

I purchased my x100 in Australia so it is under Australian warranty? Is it possible for me to send the x100 to Fujifilm Australia to get this new lens unit? Or does there have to be something wrong with it first? I have no encountered the sticky blades problem yet.

straylightrun's gear list:straylightrun's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V Sony a7S Canon EOS M10 A3000 Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD +8 more

I reckon just tell them that it is having the fault, but intermittent. That is what mine was doing - did not do it always. So when they checked it, it may or may not have been doing it, but they replaced it anyway.

At least that way you would be sure you had the new unit and you could use it with confidence. They really did a good job on mine. I had an annoying piece of big dust in the viewfinder. I never mentioned it to them, but noticed when it came back it was gone. They had obviously stripped it right down and cleaned it all out as well.

They only bad thing was that they reinstalled the 'new' firmware, so I lost all of my settings. Finding it hard to replicate the colour I had before.

Good luck

Sutto

Northgrove Junior Member • Posts: 29

This is comforting to hear, as I recently ordered an X100!

I don't intend to attempt an exchange without having the issue, and expect me to use the camera often enough that this problem, if it appears, would happen during my warranty period. I use to shoot thousands of times in a year.

Fuji Au - poor service

Sutto wrote:

Fuji service worked out great and they had it back to me in Western Australia (I am in a desert town so mail takes ages to get to this isolated area), in a week and a half!!

I'm glad you had such good service - I rang Fuji Aust last week, after they'd had mine sitting in their workshop for two weeks, and they hadn't looked at it yet! Absolutely cr@p service, in my opinion.

Now I guess I won't get it back in time for Christmas. Not happy...

Cheers

Jay A Senior Member • Posts: 2,295
Re: Fuji Au - poor service

With all due respect, what do you think they were doing during the 2 weeks that your camera has sat on the shelf? Do you think the technicians just sit there watching TV with their feet up on desks? Or do you think that just maybe, especially considering the time of year, they are just to busy too get to your camera immediately? For what it's worth, I doubt any repair facility, Fuji or otherwise has in their best interest, to just let a customer's camera sit unaccounted for unless there is a valid reason.

While I understand your frustration in not getting your camera back in a speedy manner, I think that deameaning them for their poor service is kind've uncalled for.

Jay A Senior Member • Posts: 2,295

Hmmmm...tried to edit my misspelled words and it all came out the same...

Anyway, with corrections;

With all due respect, what do you think they were doing during the 2 weeks that your camera has sat on the shelf? Do you think the technicians just sat there watching TV with their feet up on desks? Or do you think that just maybe, especially considering the time of year, they are just too busy to get to your camera immediately? For what it's worth, I doubt any repair facility, Fuji or otherwise has in their best interest, to just let a customer's camera sit unaccounted for unless there is a valid reason.

While I understand your frustration in not getting your camera back in a speedy manner, I think that demeaning them for their poor service is kind've uncalled for.

Jay A - Go easy on him dude. Of course he is upset, just on Xmas and no camera.

What he is trying to say is that service at Fuji is a bit hit and miss. If you go back and check all my earlier threads you will read where I was very upset with Fuji's attitude and lack of concern over my SAB problem. This was back in about September, when they even denied there was a world wide issue. I then had to travel for my holiday to Vietnam with a defective lens (shot everything in f2).

However, when I returned in October and sent it off for repair - they did it in about the first two days of receiving it - wonderful stuff. They even had a fantastic attitude on the phone.

Yes it is the busy time of the year, but I really think who you get at Fuji Australia, makes a big difference. I got crap service/attitude my first try, marvelous service/attitude 2nd time round. A bit of a 'pig in a poke' if you ask me.

Sutto

risetovotesir New Member • Posts: 5

My dealings with Fuji have been good.

10 day turnaround. Customer service on the phone was OK. Stressed sounding. They honoured the warranty even though I was not the original purchaser.

The new unit sounds different when it focuses. Just as sharp. Exposures Perfect. I hope the new unit is more rebust than the first.

Perhaps Fuj ishould have just gone with a mechanical aperture ajustment ring (like an older prime lens) on the lens rather than an electronic one.

Well, I'd given up hope - but it's now arrived back, just in time for Christmas. Three and a bit weeks turnaround time. Service report says lens has been replaced. The aperture ring doesn't feel or sound any different though, as many have reported.

All seems to be working well, exposures are consistent from f2 to f16. Hope it stays that way!

Cheers

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads