This must be the reason for slower sale of DSLR

Started Nov 23, 2011 | Discussions
nofumble Senior Member • Posts: 2,180
This must be the reason for slower sale of DSLR

http://arstechnica.com/apple/guides/2011/11/can-the-iphone-4s-replace-a-real-digital-camera-for-many-yes.ars/4

Check out the movie comparison between the 4S and 5DII. It blew me away.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
sagebrushfire Regular Member • Posts: 263
Re: This must be the reason for slower sale of DSLR

nofumble wrote:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/guides/2011/11/can-the-iphone-4s-replace-a-real-digital-camera-for-many-yes.ars/4

Considering the 4S is just a phone, it's video capabilities are amazing.

That being said, the comparison is not really surprising, or even all that amazing. The iPhone 4S' video almost matches a professional DSLR's ... in a handful of very specific circumstances. Even in the video you can see that once values start dropping darker than 50% the iphone footage falls apart. Anything remotely dark and the scene starts becoming achromatic and full or artifacts.

What they don't show is the thousand other scenarios where the 4S' video will be totally useless. And keep in mind that video is a secondary function of both these devices, separate from their original intended usage.

The article as a whole is kind of sketchy. Why compare they iPhone 4S to a 7-year-old DSLR just because they have the same pixel count? The article is titled "Can the iPhone 4S replace a "real" digital camera?" and the 4S is a new device, why don't they compare it to contemporary cameras, its actual competition?

The 4S isn't competing with cameras from years back; it's competing with a massive lineup of inexpensive point and shoot cameras with HD video capabilities and still resolutions approaching 20 megapixels - not to mention DSLR's that offer professional-grade results and low-light performance that other devices cannot match (That's a big one because few P&S cameras can survive indoor shooting without a flash).

Dedicated cameras also have expandable memory which relies on a third-party product that's constantly evolving and improving. The iPhone 4S will never have any more disk space than it started out with, a very limiting decision by Apple (Probably done to try and curb third-party software or just limit the phones so there's more reason to buy the newer version that invariably will have more disk space).

It's an interesting read and the 4S is impressive but in the end it's very much a jack of all trades, master of none. Practical usage will show you that lack of image stabilization and comparatively inferior controls will prevent you from creating anything substantial using an iPhone 4S.
--
my personal website: http://www.sagebrushfire.com

DeviantART: http://sixthcrusifix.deviantart.com

sagebrushfire's gear list:sagebrushfire's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III +1 more
SNGX1327 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,186

sagebrushfire wrote:

The 4S isn't competing with cameras from years back; it's competing with a massive lineup of inexpensive point and shoot cameras with HD video capabilities and still resolutions approaching 20 megapixels - not to mention DSLR's that offer professional-grade results and low-light performance that other devices cannot match (That's a big one because few P&S cameras can survive indoor shooting without a flash).

i agree with this. nobody is "replacing" their SLR with a phone-camera. if you own an SLR camera you are obviously dedicated to slinging it around your neck and carrying it with you all night.

no, the iphone is competing with pocket-able P&S/compact cameras. cameras that you put in your pocket and always have with you at all times.

like many photographers on this site i own both a nikon D90 and a canon SD880. i love the D90 and i take it lots and lots of places. but sometimes i just don't want to bring it with me. that's why i have the SD880, because it fits in my pocket and i can take it EVERYWHERE. not only is it portable, but it doesn't get discriminated against because it's a big camera.

that is the camera the iphone is competing with. the iphone wants me to buy an iphone instead of my 6 year old sanyo flip phone (which i will hold onto until the day it dies!) along with a pocket camera.

It's an interesting read and the 4S is impressive but in the end it's very much a jack of all trades, master of none. Practical usage will show you that lack of image stabilization and comparatively inferior controls will prevent you from creating anything substantial using an iPhone 4S.

personally i couldn't imagine using a camera with touch-screen controls (or a phone for that matter). i am a huge sucker for devices with tangible touch-feedback buttons. it allows me to write a text message while walking, dial a phone number without looking, or change my exposure compensation without taking my eye from the viewfinder.

Midwest Forum Pro • Posts: 18,351

SNGX1327 wrote:

sagebrushfire wrote:

i agree with this. nobody is "replacing" their SLR with a phone-camera. if you own an SLR camera you are obviously dedicated to slinging it around your neck and carrying it with you all night.

no, the iphone is competing with pocket-able P&S/compact cameras. cameras that you put in your pocket and always have with you at all times.

like many photographers on this site i own both a nikon D90 and a canon SD880. i love the D90 and i take it lots and lots of places. but sometimes i just don't want to bring it with me. that's why i have the SD880, because it fits in my pocket and i can take it EVERYWHERE. not only is it portable, but it doesn't get discriminated against because it's a big camera.

that is the camera the iphone is competing with. the iphone wants me to buy an iphone instead of my 6 year old sanyo flip phone (which i will hold onto until the day it dies!) along with a pocket camera.

I used to have flip-phones - I didn't even care if my phone had a camera really. Then I got an i-phone and can't imagine not having it. And I seldom use it for its camera, but for its other amazing capabilities.

I would not expect even the 4S to be a 'master' at photography, but you can get an app that stabilizes the photo image if the 4S doesn't already have something built in.

personally i couldn't imagine using a camera with touch-screen controls (or a phone for that matter). i am a huge sucker for devices with tangible touch-feedback buttons. it allows me to write a text message while walking, dial a phone number without looking, or change my exposure compensation without taking my eye from the viewfinder.

I absolutely love the touch screen on my i phone. When I dial a call the buttons are much larger and all that needs to be done is to touch them. Of course all I have to do is tell the phone 'call Janet home' and I don't have to dial anything.

-- hide signature --

Art is far superior to "artsy".

JoshMcC New Member • Posts: 9

nofumble wrote:

Who says that DSLR sales numbers are slow?

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1042&message=39153487

sagebrushfire Regular Member • Posts: 263

I have an iPhone 4 and know people with the 4S. Any IS that the phone could have or that could be emulated via software could not possibly match the IS you're getting from sensor-shift IS or in-lens IS. Definitely not 2-5 stops better.

In my experience with the iPhone 4, low light is the Achilles Heel of the camera and even a 100% improvement would not give you much more low-light freedom, especially if anything is moving.
--
my personal website: http://www.sagebrushfire.com

DeviantART: http://sixthcrusifix.deviantart.com

sagebrushfire's gear list:sagebrushfire's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads