NX 16mmser/buyer experience and testimonies

Started Nov 21, 2011 | Discussions
Ariston Senior Member • Posts: 2,401
NX 16mmser/buyer experience and testimonies

I would like to ask those who purchased the lens to share their experiences to those who might be considering of purchasing the lens.

first off is where they got the lens and for how much? the return and exchange policy? if shopping is fast and efficient? and lastly if their copy is working 100% or has flaws? would be nice to hear how many owners here got a dud and how they were replaced and where they got such copy. thank you.

paulhome Contributing Member • Posts: 841
Re: NX 16mmser/buyer experience and testimonies

ordered one yesterday lunchtime from http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/6946/Samsung-16mm-F2-4-i-Function-Lens.html
£249 + £7 express delivery.
Nice price and spoke to them on the phone,they sound to have good stock levels.
They also sell on ebay for slightly more.

I'll keep you updated.

on a side not i saw the 50-200 for £139 at comet, not sure if it was ifn version.

paulhome's gear list:paulhome's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1

received it :). less than 24hours after ordering, fully tracked. I'll get out tomorrow to try it out.

Fujifilm X-E1
jorichter Forum Member • Posts: 78

I love mine. Got it a few weeks ago, no quality issue, first shipment with great quality lens.
Here are some links:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1001&message=39639685&changemode=1

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1001&message=39710548&changemode=1

Joerg

Kuturgan
Kuturgan Regular Member • Posts: 495

Looking forward to see NX 16mm in work

-- hide signature --

Don't take a picture, create!

Kuturgan's gear list:Kuturgan's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM1 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 20mm F2.8

wasnt going to post till i test fully. but ive just been to the park and ... WOW.

so contrasty. after 5 mins i can tell its a winner. will post some images tomorrow night.

Fujifilm X-E1
tombell1 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,101
paulhome and srs ....

Just to say Paul on the pentax forum srs have an A1 reputation. they also have a real shop and will usually take back no quibbles
--
Tom Bell
Dartmoor
Devon

http://flickr.com/photos/tombell1

tombell1's gear list:tombell1's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +18 more
Ian Leach Senior Member • Posts: 1,469

Could I ask for someone with this lens to take a photo with the 18-55mm at 18mm and then the same shot with the 16mm. I would like to see the difference the 2mm makes as well as the image quality. A street scene would be good, road, cars, buildings, some foliage. Thanks Ian

Delos
Delos Contributing Member • Posts: 838

That's a great idea, Ian. I'm betting the real advantages of the 16mm will be the f/2.4 aperture, focus speed, contrast and acuity. None of those are necessarily visible (or obvious) with online reproductions.
--

'Money may buy you a fine dog, but only love can make it wag its tail.' - Kinky Friedman, musician.

Delos's gear list:Delos's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX720 HS Nikon D300 Samsung NX200 Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +3 more
htibor Junior Member • Posts: 43

Got mine from a german shop on eBay several weeks ago. I have paid 250 EUR for it. The shipment took 5 days (from Germany to here Hungary). I have no issue with my copy.
--
No stress, no work Today...

ok. ive been out all day shooting with the 16mm.This is how it went.

The lens for me is amazing,the edges can be soft and the distortion is there but easy to fix. there seems to be a problem on the AF with focusing on close objects. i can so zero CA which is really cool.

It is very sharp in general.

The focus problem may be my camera on which ive removed the IR/low pass filter previously.

The distortion, is something i like and i think i will generally keep it as a feature of the images.

Soft edges, well its a 16mm pancake.. and when you get to f5.6 its sharp across the image. This is not an issue for most people.

the images have really good contrast,Its hard to explain but there is a really nice quality to the shots.

Bokeh... umm on 16mm does it matter ?.I would personally rate it as very pleasing, which surprised me.But its early days and thats just a first impression.

There is one huge problem though. ME. shooting with a 16mm really pushes you, Every shot becomes a story. I am highly excited about the challenge of getting to grips with this lens. I would suggest its not ideal for a beginner.

Am i happy i bought it ?. Far more so than i expected. Today was a very dull day, ive never taken so many poor shots. But the potential is clear and huge.

I was going to post some shots, but they arent really post worthy. all shots date 23rd nov and subsequent shoots for the next month will be 16mm. None have any lens correction. http://www.flickr.com/photos/paulrs/

overall its a cracking lens, well worth the money. but novice users may prefer the 30/2 .

Fujifilm X-E1
jymmeh88 Regular Member • Posts: 168

Thanks paul for the nice shots. A question tho, any pp? Any filters applied? Shot wide open?

Vygi Regular Member • Posts: 187

I have it since yesterday too!

Sharp and small... Hugely useful, epsecially for the street photography.

Manual focus disappoints me, though. The focus ring is kinda insensible; have to turn it way more than the 30mm pancake or 18-55... Waste of time! Is it normal?

jymmeh88 wrote:

Thanks paul for the nice shots. A question tho, any pp? Any filters applied? Shot wide open?

yer there is pp, a fair bit. i dont usually crop. but i am a sucker for fake vignette (the lens doesnt produce any). pixel peek and the edges will look sharpened/ light&darks adjusted. Just added this for you. It was a very dull/flat day. but this is straight from raw @f5.6 with high quality jpg. http://www.flickr.com/photos/paulrs/6389417411/sizes/o/in/photostream/
i sickeningly dull shot, but fine details to check if you like.

Fujifilm X-E1
OP Ariston Senior Member • Posts: 2,401

thanks paul. I cant wait to use it with the NX200. oh, and you should be shooting this with the NX200.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads