Canon FD 100mm f/2.8 on NEX-5N

Started Nov 19, 2011 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
alexab Forum Member • Posts: 63
Canon FD 100mm f/2.8 on NEX-5N

Just got this lens. Took it out for a walk in downtown Boston during my lunch break for a few quick shots. So far I like it. Pleasant contrast and colors, pretty sharp, good bokeh. Not easy to handhold a longish lens though while trying to nail the focus, but I am still learning... I think it might be a great lens in the hands of an experienced photographer (especially for under $100). What do you think?

alexab's gear list:alexab's gear list
Sony a6000 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS
Sony Alpha NEX-5N
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Horshack Veteran Member • Posts: 5,803
Re: Canon FD 100mm f/2.8 on NEX-5N

Yep, it's a great lens and I agree, it's very difficult to handhold and focus...it's just beyond the comfortable weight/focal length threshold for me. Here's I shot I took with my copy, also on a 5N:

alexab OP Forum Member • Posts: 63

Beautiful shot. Has this 3D effect that is usually achieved with a wide angle lens rather than a tele.

I didn't quite understand your weight remark. This lens is remarkably lightweight: 270g (I have the late more plasticy version). Do you think it's too light to hold it steady? I always thought that heavier lenses are more difficult to handle, especially if you don't use an EVF and have to hold the camera in front of you.

Sony a6000 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS
Alupang
Alupang Senior Member • Posts: 2,839

alexab wrote:

Beautiful shot. Has this 3D effect that is usually achieved with a wide angle lens rather than a tele.

I didn't quite understand your weight remark. This lens is remarkably lightweight: 270g (I have the late more plasticy version). Do you think it's too light to hold it steady? I always thought that heavier lenses are more difficult to handle, especially if you don't use an EVF and have to hold the camera in front of you.

Yeah what he said. The FDn 100 f2.8 is a very small and lightweight lens indeed. Perhaps he is using the older breechmount version?

To the OP: Can you post a shot of what this lens looks like on your Nex 5n? I should get one of these lenses I think.

Sure. The lens is mounted on Fotodiox adapter ($25 on Amazon). Sorry for the lousy shots taken with a phone camera.

ttan98 Senior Member • Posts: 2,046
Re: Focusing..

Hi,

At 100mm is manual focusing difficult owning some handshake occurring?

Re: Focusing..

Obviously, it's more difficult than a normal or wide angle lens. In good light keeping shutter speed above 1/60 - 1/100 I find this lens manageable. Depends on the user. Some people have amazingly steady hands.

Alupang
Alupang Senior Member • Posts: 2,839

Thanks; what a beauty! That's a great size for 100mm. Waaaay smaller than my FDn 100mm f2. This would be a great discrete street shooter/people sniper.

alexab wrote:

I think it's a bit too much to hold steady when trying to manually focus at max magnification.

Horshack wrote:

alexab wrote:

I think it's a bit too much to hold steady when trying to manually focus at max magnification.

At max magnification - I agree. However, with EVF at 7x mag with peaking enabled it's actually quite easy. I don't have the steadies hands (all that coffee and cigarettes) but the more I use it the more I enjoy this little beast for $100. Sharp, sharp, sharp... Maybe I am biased because 90-100mm (135-150mm eqv.) is my favorite focal distance. But it really looks like a very good match with a 5N body.

Damovich Contributing Member • Posts: 897

This lens is famous for its IQ, these pictures show us why, thanks for posting!

A few more

alexab wrote:

At max magnification - I agree. However, with EVF at 7x mag with peaking enabled it's actually quite easy. I don't have the steadies hands (all that coffee and cigarettes) but the more I use it the more I enjoy this little beast for $100. Sharp, sharp, sharp... Maybe I am biased because 90-100mm (135-150mm eqv.) is my favorite focal distance. But it really looks like a very good match with a 5N body.

I use the EVF as well but have found that peaking is not always accurate, at least for critical focus where the DOF is very thin. Don't get me wrong, I love the lens too but critical focusing while hand-holding is a bit of a challenge. Here are a couple more:

Re: A few more

Very nice pics. No 3 is a beauty.

What I like most about this lens is that the corners are almost as sharp as the center. Bokeh is very good too, though I've seen better. My Nikon 85mm f/1.4 and 180mm f/2.8 come to mind. Sold them along with the rest of Nikon gear when I switched to NEX - can you believe that?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads