Nex5n - speed priority continuous shooting

Started Nov 18, 2011 | Discussions
Jorlin Junior Member • Posts: 34
Nex5n - speed priority continuous shooting

Hi!

Playing with my nex5n I figured that the post processing options (noise reduction, lens compensation) slow down the speed of continuous shooting and speed priority.

I believe I will hardly use this option anyway. However, I wonder if anyone is using this option more often and if you prefer speed over post processing?

Thanks

Jorlin's gear list:Jorlin's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a6500 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS
Sony Alpha NEX-5N
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Scott Larson Veteran Member • Posts: 5,940
Re: Nex5n - speed priority continuous shooting

Jorlin wrote:

Playing with my nex5n I figured that the post processing options (noise reduction, lens compensation) slow down the speed of continuous shooting and speed priority.

Where did you hear this?

Scott Larson's gear list:Scott Larson's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X +13 more
fakeplasticdream Junior Member • Posts: 40

Actually, in the Speed priority mode, those don't reduce your speed initially, but they do reduce the number of shots at 10 frames/second. Then after that, it will be slower.

Lng0004 Senior Member • Posts: 2,602

That's because of small buffer + SD card write speed.

fakeplasticdream wrote:

Actually, in the Speed priority mode, those don't reduce your speed initially, but they do reduce the number of shots at 10 frames/second. Then after that, it will be slower.

zackiedawg
zackiedawg Forum Pro • Posts: 28,177

With the NEX, and most cameras, the amount of processing applied in-camera via JPG settings won't affect the actual burst-rate speed...the camera's internal buffer is the primary limiting factor. What additional processing may do is help to fill the buffer more quickly, and/or slow the reduced frame rate that follows a burst...and can lengthen the delay between taking a burst and being able to shoot again while the buffer clears. How fast the card is will also play a factor here, with faster cards able to clear data off the buffer faster.

Speed priority is a specialized function which is useful for certain types of photography - namely a fixed-focal-distance subject performing a fast action which you want to capture with the fewest possible pauses between frames in order to either show a transition of movement through the multiple frames or pick out the best possible capture within that sequence. Examples might include a golfer taking a swing, a tennis player hitting a ball, or a dog jumping a fence. It isn't designed for subject motion which changes focal distance to the camera, or requires a tracking focus to follow the subject's movement on a perpendicular plane to the camera.

-- hide signature --
 zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony SLT-A68 Sony a6300 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 +21 more
weavster Contributing Member • Posts: 913

A few weeks ago, my 10yr old proudly announced that she could do back flips on the trampoline. Keen to try out the 10 fps burst mode, I leapt into action with my new 5n. Was very perplexed to only get a burst of 4 frames before things slowed down to about a click per second. So I posted for advice on this great forum. I was informed that lens correction retards high speed shooting. Sure enough, it does. For high speed burst turn it off, the rest of the time leave it on as it makes a big improvement to the result.

weavster's gear list:weavster's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ3
zackiedawg
zackiedawg Forum Pro • Posts: 28,177

Interesting - and good to know. I don't have lens correction on my NEX3, so haven't run into any issues - DRO on doesn't hurt anything on mine. I suppose as the sensors pack more MP on, and more and more processing gets thrown into the pipeline, card speed (and not just the download but the upload) will keep becoming more and more crucial to offload buffers.

It's the one thing I still like most about a DSLR for this type of thing - many of them still have very large buffers - many times larger than the NEX, and so can fire frames much longer. I've fired 7fps on my A550 for 40+ frames without slowdown, and even done bursts of 14 RAW+JPG files at 5fps.

-- hide signature --
 zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony SLT-A68 Sony a6300 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 +21 more
weavster Contributing Member • Posts: 913

Very true. Although I have a very fast card, it seems to make no difference to high speed burst shooting, because once the buffer is full, its full and the delay then is the write time to clear the buffer. Best to have a big buffer.

weavster's gear list:weavster's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ3
OP Jorlin Junior Member • Posts: 34

Scott Larson wrote:

Jorlin wrote:

Where did you hear this?

I actually did not hear it, I tried it.

I have a Sony 32 GB Flash Memory Card (MSHX32B). So it is fast enough for every task.

If you set the camera to the defaut settings, it clearly shoots faster and actually 10fps with speed priority. If you have all post processing on (noise reduction and lens compensation) there is a clear difference in speed and the number of initial frames that it takes when using speed priority (less than 10fps within the first second). If you continue shooting, the frame rate is also reduced.

I have the Sony 32GB Flash card and a 16 GB Class 10 SD card (SanDisk extreme). With lense compensation on there is an impact on speed and initiall frame rate. It is worse with high iso (guess the noise reduction kicks in). And with the Sony card it is a bit less than with the SanDisk card.

Just try the following:
shutter speed 1/250

iso 100 vs. iso 6400

lens compensation and noise reduction set to maximum (all on) vs. all off (or low)

and then try speed priority.

This has a definite impact on the speed in the two nex5n I tried (mine and the one of my friend). It happens with both memory cards I am able to try.

Jorlin's gear list:Jorlin's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a6500 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads