Canon sx40 accessories

Started Nov 17, 2011 | Discussions
Ianp01cof New Member • Posts: 5
Canon sx40 accessories

Hi

Please can I have some advice on the merits of buying a .45x wide angle macro lens, a 2x tele adaptor and a speedlite flash (advice on best option?) as accompaniments to the sx40 I am bout to buy. It is a very versatile camera so are these accessories going to make a meaningful difference? My interests are wildlife small and large, birds and general scenery as well as usual family shots. I am going for additional batteries (not canon), 2x 8g cards (i am looking at transcend brand is that best i can get) a linear density polarizing lens, tripod plus case as mandatories. Am I missing anything?
Many thanks for your help
--
Cheers Ian

Jollygreen Junior Member • Posts: 29
Re: Canon sx40 accessories

The SX40 has a built in 1.5X and 2X digital teleconverter, so you probable don't need the tele adapter. Don't forget the filter adapter because the SX40 doesn't have threads on the lens. One potential problem with using a wide angle or telephoto supplemental lens is the weight it adds to the front of the lens. At full zoom it has enough leverage to possibly cause the lens to malfunction. However, this is just my thinking and not neccesarily a real problem.

OP Ianp01cof New Member • Posts: 5

Thanks for this - noted. I agree that there are limits on how much zoom one can actually use and did not realise that there are digital zoom capability. Also I presume that letting even less light using a converter will compromise results too.
Cheers Ian

tconnell Forum Member • Posts: 66

I have the SX40 and have been shooting with it for only about 10 days, but right away I saw that I needed an additional battery. Got a 1200Ah so should have enough shooting time between it and the one that came with the camera. I have ordered the hand strap that attaches to the tripod socket and to the right side strap bar. That will fit around the hand to enable more comfortable shooting for me as I come from years shooting the Canon 1DMkII with the hand strap. I never got use to a strap around my neck so the hand strap will let you relax your hand and the camera won't fall out. I also ordered the lens shade as I consider that an absolute necessity. Stray light kills the contrast if you're not careful.

I also plan on ordering the bayonet mount 67mm filter adapter and then a set of Tiffen 67mm close up filters as I don't find the Macro mode of any use on this camera.

I have from out 1DMkII studio days, a new 580Ex speedlight and adapters for that and have tried it in several situations. I find that if I set that to about -2/3 stop things are fine with that.

So, extra battery, lens shade and the 67mm adapter and CU filters would be my first purchases. In the filter department, remember not to take a great 2.8 lens like is on this $400 camera and keyhole it with a $8 skylight filter. Kinda like shooting through the bottom of a Pepsi bottle.
--
Tommy

Kali12 Regular Member • Posts: 192

Interesting things to get. Not sure about the need for macro for myself--the camera's seems okay so far, though limited.

Two questions-- If no skylight filter, what do you put on to protect the lens? and will the lens shade (that's the same as a hood, right?) work with the 67mm filters? And not show up when you're at the widest setting? (okay--3 q's. :))

OP Ianp01cof New Member • Posts: 5

Thank you for these suggestions. I have already followed up on the filters. Is the hand strap a canon specific item? Do you have any views on the wide angle lens option?
--
Cheers Ian

Chrissz New Member • Posts: 4

tconnell wrote:

I have ordered the hand strap that attaches to the tripod socket and to the right side strap bar. That will fit around the hand to enable more comfortable shooting for me as I come from years shooting the Canon 1DMkII with the hand strap... I also ordered the lens shade as I consider that an absolute necessity. Stray light kills the contrast if you're not careful.

I also plan on ordering the bayonet mount 67mm filter adapter and then a set of Tiffen 67mm close up filters as I don't find the Macro mode of any use on this camera.

-- hide signature --

Tommy

Tommy, any suggested sources or specific makes/models for the hand strap, lens shade, and bayonet mount? Thanks!

I don't have any place specific to tell you. I just Googled on the net and found a place called YLMart that list itself as being in Miami. I'm about 500 miles from Miami so I thought that would expedite the time frame. NOT SO. Today I got in the lens shade and it was shipped directly from - now get this...

Ding Dong Feng
Beijing, China

The hand strap didn't come in yet though ordered at the same time from the same place. The lens shade and strap have been ordered for about 2 weeks now. Hell, I could have walked to Jacksonville and gotten the shade from Brandon's Camera and be back by now. But it was cheap, and I've been doing other things. The hand strap is just a generic model and I think the same one is listed for Fuji cameras along with Canon's P and S cameras.

I haven't ordered the filter ring and the Tiffen close up set yet but will definately not be doing that with YLMart where ever it really is located.
--
Tommy

Decided to look for the filter adapter and the closeup filters. Found this place that I like better and they seem to have most of what you'd want as additions to the SX40.

Thought I'd share here.

http://stores.ebay.com/I-T-Digitals-Photo-Video-Supplies
--
Tommy

Chrissz New Member • Posts: 4

Thanks Tommy!

Dan Hudson
Dan Hudson Contributing Member • Posts: 710

Before you purchase an adapter of the Canon brand go to lensmate.com and get theirs. No vinyetting or interference with the focus light with their smaller 58mm adapter. Lighter on your lens too.
--
Christian Amateur Photographer

Dan Hudson's gear list:Dan Hudson's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Canon PowerShot SX120 IS
Shaniatwain New Member • Posts: 7

hey! I just wanna share that I find a perfect site for camera accessories including what you need. check it out, it has a low price but good quality for the item. I bought some 2 weeks ago and it's all good. Here's the site I hope this could help

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=NB-5L++&x=0&y=0#/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=tripod&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Atripod

have a good one!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads