X10 Firmware Wish List

Started Nov 7, 2011 | Discussions
Denis of Whidbey Island
Denis of Whidbey Island Senior Member • Posts: 1,244
X10 Firmware Wish List

Post your requested firmware changes. Just post your ideas how the X10 can be improved via firmware.

My contributions to the list:

1. Optional reassignment of WB button to same functions as Fn button.

2. RGB histogram, at least in playback detail view.

3. Put raw with JPG options in the shooting menu, and reassign the RAW button to bring up this part of the menu.

4. When in a focus mode that does not take advantage of the AF button, make that button initiate autofocus ... even in manual focus. That way we can hit autofocus, then fine tune focus.

5. In playback with detail view turned on, when in the view without info superimposed, do not disable the AE zoom function.

Denis
--

I have made this letter a rather long one, only because I didn't have the leisure to make it shorter. Blaise Pascal, 1623-1662

Denis of Whidbey Island's gear list:Denis of Whidbey Island's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a7R II YI M1 Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +3 more
Fujifilm X10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
HeavyDuty Senior Member • Posts: 2,298
Re: X10 Firmware Wish List

Denis of Whidbey Island wrote:

1. When in a focus mode that does not take advantage of the AF button, make that button initiate autofocus ... even in manual focus. That way we can hit autofocus, then fine tune focus.

Denis, the manual implies the AFL/AEL button does that now when in MF - is yours not doing it?
--
Ken in Illinois
http://www.pbase.com/kjford

HeavyDuty's gear list:HeavyDuty's gear list
Leica APO-Summicron-M 75mm f/2 ASPH Fujifilm X100S Canon XC10 Sigma dp0 Quattro Sony RX10 III +77 more
Joey P Junior Member • Posts: 31

Denis, HeavyDuty is correct. Put your X-10 in manual focus mode, and then hit the AEL/AFL button on the rear of the camera -- this will immediately autofocus your camera, and then you can adjust manually from there. Of course, you have to set your AEL/AFL in the menus to make sure it is activating either AFL or both AEL and AFL for this to work.

Enjoy your new camera!

Denis of Whidbey Island
OP Denis of Whidbey Island Senior Member • Posts: 1,244

HeavyDuty wrote:

1. When in a focus mode that does not take advantage of the AF button, make that button initiate autofocus ... even in manual focus. That way we can hit autofocus, then fine tune focus.

Denis, the manual implies the AFL/AEL button does that now when in MF - is yours not doing it?
--
Ken in Illinois

Thanks, Ken, you are correct. That's not intuitive since it seems to be a lock button in other modes. It would still make more sense were the button marked "AF" the one that effected autofocus.

I would like to have the AF button initiate AF when in either AF mode, so I could be prefocused, without half-pressing the shutter release.

Denis

-- hide signature --

I have made this letter a rather long one, only because I didn't have the leisure to make it shorter. Blaise Pascal, 1623-1662

Sony a6000 Sony a7R II YI M1 Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +3 more
Denis of Whidbey Island

I'll just bump once to ask ... is everyone who has an X10 really satisfied that no improvements can be made to firmware? Am I the only one who sees room for improvement?

Thanks,

Denis
--

xoio
xoio Regular Member • Posts: 351

Perhaps the relative quiet is because not many people have this camera yet, let alone time to assess it to find niggles etc. in its operation.

BTW, does it have 'Bulb'? & if so is it limited to some lame amount like 30 secs.

If this is the case, that is something i'd change in firmware. (A decent bulb time)

Heck until recently even Oly's point n shoot superzooms like the SP-570UZ had a bulb mode that went to 8 minutes.

xoio's gear list:xoio's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 Panasonic FZ1000 +1 more
frelwa Senior Member • Posts: 1,090

I'll just bump once to ask ... is everyone who has an X10 really satisfied that no improvements can be made to firmware? Am I the only one who sees room for improvement?

Fuji has already made a few improvements. Early X10s shipped with Ver. 1.00 or Ver.1.01 firmware. An update to Ver. 1.02 can be downloaded here:

http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/firmware/x/x10/index.html

Mine came with Ver. 1.02 pre-installed. There are certain to be more updates later, like the X100.
--
X100, X10, E-PL2, 35mm gear etc.

frelwa's gear list:frelwa's gear list
Canon PowerShot S30 Contax TVS Digital Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Canon PowerShot A1200 Fujifilm X10 +1 more
Denis of Whidbey Island

In shutter priority mode, it appears that the range is 4 seconds to 1/4000 second. I don't see a bulb setting.

Denis
--

xoio
xoio Regular Member • Posts: 351

No Bulb? That's not very good.

xoio's gear list:xoio's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 Panasonic FZ1000 +1 more
ReeseFuzz Forum Member • Posts: 68

I noticed shooting the hockey through OVF this weekend with the image review turned off, ( I had set the review picture time from 1.5 seconds to none) I didn't want the screen to come unless I hit the play button if I wanted to review an image. This works fine in single shot mode. The minute I switched to continuous or high speed shooting the camera ignored my image review time set to off and it would show/review the image for a brief time, even though I wanted it off and had it set to totally off in the settings. It should not do this at all. Review off means review off. Will have more I'm sure but just starting to learn camera.

gteague
gteague Veteran Member • Posts: 3,000

xoio wrote:

No Bulb? That's not very good.

+1 ng. what's the point of having cable release threads and no bulb mode?

/guy

-- hide signature --

The elements of a subject that speak to us are often scattered and can't be captured in one photo; we don't have the right to force them together, and to stage them would be cheating ... / Henri Cartier-Bresson

gteague's gear list:gteague's gear list
Leica Q2 Leica CL Panasonic S1 Panasonic S Pro 70-200mm F4 OIS Panasonic Lumix S Pro 16-35mm F4
Max Archer Regular Member • Posts: 200

That's because it's shutter priority. How could the camera set aperture and ISO without knowing how long the exposure was going to be? You probably have to put the camera in manual to use bulb.

In shutter priority mode, it appears that the range is 4 seconds to 1/4000 second. I don't see a bulb setting.

Denis
--

Max Archer's gear list:Max Archer's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2
frelwa Senior Member • Posts: 1,090

gteague wrote:

Have you ever used a tripod?
--
X100, X10, E-PL2, 35mm gear etc.

frelwa's gear list:frelwa's gear list
Canon PowerShot S30 Contax TVS Digital Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Canon PowerShot A1200 Fujifilm X10 +1 more
gteague
gteague Veteran Member • Posts: 3,000
int qbn k

frelwa wrote:

gteague wrote:

Have you ever used a tripod?

gteague's gear list:gteague's gear list
Leica Q2 Leica CL Panasonic S1 Panasonic S Pro 70-200mm F4 OIS Panasonic Lumix S Pro 16-35mm F4
Denis of Whidbey Island

I agree; cable release is good for any tripod-mounted shot ... though that's not why I bought a compact camera.

In manual mode I can only go down to 2 sec., and when exposure bracketing is on, only down to 1/4 sec.

Denis
--

Peter Evans Junior Member • Posts: 43

A use for the cable release?

Set the camera to a suitable focal length and focus distance, set to Manual exposure, choose an aperture with good DOF and the correct shutter speed for the prevailing light conditions, turn off the autofocus, set the camera to silent operation, screw a 50cm or 70cm cable release into the shutter button, hang the camera round your neck and put the other end of the cable release in your pocket.

Now walk around anywhere you don't want people to know that you're taking photos and shoot true candids to your heart's content.

Peter Evans's gear list:Peter Evans's gear list
Nikon D810

I'd love to see the AFL/AEL button be configurable as true back button focus in AF-S and AF-C modes.
--
Ken in Illinois

Leica APO-Summicron-M 75mm f/2 ASPH Fujifilm X100S Canon XC10 Sigma dp0 Quattro Sony RX10 III +77 more

A few more firmware wishlist thoughts after having my X10 for a day:

• The ability to switch the main and sub function controls - as an example, in aperture priority with manual focus the main controls aperture and the sub focus. I'd love to see the ability to flip these - aperture on the sub and focus on the main, with the addition of the "snap AF" function that's on the AEL/AFL button moved to the push-in part of the main.

• The ability to separately lock the rotational aspect of the sub - currently you can lock the four quadrants but not rotation. I can see a need to control the locks separately.

• A hardware wishlist item (ain't gonna happen, but for future models) - an eye proximity sensor to turn off the back LCD when using the OVF. Not a problem with daylight shooting, but I found I'm happier turning off the LCD after metering when shooting at night.

-- hide signature --
tom_yellowblue Junior Member • Posts: 36

Here's my list so far. I really like having Burst Mode (or "Top" mode as the manual calls it) for shooting pictures of kids, but the implementation is extremely annoying.

1. In Burst Mode, do not disable flash. Flash should fire for at least the first shot.

2. In Burst Mode, do not limit shutter speed to 1/4s. Allow the normal shutter speeds and just slow down burst mode if necessary.

3. In Burst Mode, for Playback please please please get rid of the "Play Continous Shots", or at least have an option to turn it off. I understand what they were trying to do, but it is extremely annoying because:

• You can't zoom in right away and check focus, you have to hit the down button first.

• It's not easy to compare shots in different groups of bursts modes, you always have to enter and leave Play Continous Shots mode.

• If you delete the first image in the burst (without going into "Play Continous Shots"), it deletes all images in the burst.

• When done you have to hit DISP/BACK to see the rest of the photos

• The file name format is different for single shot (DSCF*) and burst shots (S*).

4. Make RAW button another function button.

5. In image review after a shot is taken, allow the zoom buttons to work so you can check focus immediately without going into play mode. Also allow the back/forward buttons to work. Basically, if any buttons are pressed during review mode it should change to playback mode.

6. When setting ISO in one of the PASM modes, apply that to the rest of the PASM modes. Don't have a different ISO value for each one.

7. Allow Program Shift when Auto ISO is used.

8. Allow the focus point to be changed even when Face Detection is enabled. If a face isn't detected, it only allows the center focus point to be used. The AF button doesn't work in Face Detection mode.

9. In Movie mode, half-pressing the shutter should cause the camera to re-focus (no matter what focusing mode is enabled) instead of stopping the movie.

10. Add a Wind Filter to movie mode.

11. When using the 2s or 10s timer mode, have an option to take multiple pictures when the timer goes off (3, 5, 10, or something like that).

12. Remove the "Info Display" option when pressing the DISP button. It seems almost useless to me and requires skipping over to get to the more useful modes.

13. In Playback mode, remove the Favorites display. It requires skipping over to get to the more useful modes and could just be an option in the Menu.

That's it for now, I'm sure I'll come up with more later...

le_alain Senior Member • Posts: 1,998
  • Add a user defined rule for rising auto ISO

• allow program shift in auto ISO

• Add possibility to lock focus and exposure in video mode

le_alain's gear list:le_alain's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Leica M Typ 240 Sony a7 III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads