issue with new D7000 - no autofocus r error

Started Nov 1, 2011 | Discussions
slieb25 Contributing Member • Posts: 556
issue with new D7000 - no autofocus r error

Hope someone can help me. I just upgraded on Friday to a D7000 from D5000. The camera worked like a charm over the weekend, but when I went to use it today, I cannot get it to auto-focus. I tried two different lenses (16-85 & 35mm 1.8), both do the same thing. When I press the shutter button half way, the letter R shows up followed by a number, which changes if I change the quality of the picture. For example on quality raw, 4gb card, I have 115 exposures, press the shutter button and r10 shows up. If I set the quality to fine, I have 418 exposures, press the shutter button and it shows r18. I've tried a factory reset, still the same issue. Doesn't matter which drive mode I'm in, same thing.

I've tried both lenses on my D5000, both work great. Tried changing memory cards on the D7000, doesn't fix the issue. Tried putting the memory card from the D7000 into the D5000 and formatting it, the D5000 recognizes it and works fine.

The camera is brand new shipped from amazon.com on Friday. I want to make sure I'm not missing something before I return and exchange. Any ideas???
--
Steve
stephenliebenauer.smugmug.com

Mako2011
MOD Mako2011 Forum Pro • Posts: 26,824
Re: issue with new D7000 - no autofocus r error

slieb25 wrote:

Hope someone can help me. I just upgraded on Friday to a D7000 from D5000. The camera worked like a charm over the weekend, but when I went to use it today, I cannot get it to auto-focus. I tried two different lenses (16-85 & 35mm 1.8), both do the same thing. When I press the shutter button half way, the letter R shows up followed by a number, which changes if I change the quality of the picture. For example on quality raw, 4gb card, I have 115 exposures, press the shutter button and r10 shows up. If I set the quality to fine, I have 418 exposures, press the shutter button and it shows r18. I've tried a factory reset, still the same issue. Doesn't matter which drive mode I'm in, same thing.

I've tried both lenses on my D5000, both work great. Tried changing memory cards on the D7000, doesn't fix the issue. Tried putting the memory card from the D7000 into the D5000 and formatting it, the D5000 recognizes it and works fine.

The camera is brand new shipped from amazon.com on Friday. I want to make sure I'm not missing something before I return and exchange. Any ideas???
--

The number of exposures changes to the number of exposure that can fit in the internal buffer memory when you half press the shutter release and that is r10 or r18, for example. That's all normal. Now back to the focus problem. Did you accidentally hit the AF mode selector (page 91 or 99 in the manual)? Sometimes your grip may be touching the lens release button (p 26) and that can cause focus to stop. Give me a sec to think of more possibilities. BTW, can you manually focus and still take a picture?

OP slieb25 Contributing Member • Posts: 556
Re: issue with new D7000 - no autofocus r error

I had read about the buffer showing up on the half press, I can't say I noticed it before the problem hit. The AF selector is in the auto position, it shows auto in the info screen. Doesn't matter though, if I move it to manual and pick my point, it still won't focus on that point. No I'm not touching the lens release button, to make sure I just set the camera on a table and presses the shutter button, again the camera does not autofocus. Yes I can manually focus and the camera records the shot fine. Thanks!

Mako2011 wrote:

slieb25 wrote:

--

The number of exposures changes to the number of exposure that can fit in the internal buffer memory when you half press the shutter release and that is r10 or r18, for example. That's all normal. Now back to the focus problem. Did you accidentally hit the AF mode selector (page 91 or 99 in the manual)? Sometimes your grip may be touching the lens release button (p 26) and that can cause focus to stop. Give me a sec to think of more possibilities. BTW, can you manually focus and still take a picture?

-- hide signature --

Steve
Sony Alpha a100 / Panasonic FZ18

http://community.webshots.com/user/liebenauer

Mako2011
Also

Make sure your menu f5 (p. 232) is not set to AF-ON

Huyen Olson
Huyen Olson Senior Member • Posts: 1,468
Re: Also

Be sure to check your lens too, if you have a switch for AF/M, the front of the body as well. You never know.

Huyen Olson's gear list:Huyen Olson's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D7100 Sony a6000
OP slieb25 Contributing Member • Posts: 556
Re: Also

That was it!!! Not sure how set this to begin with, nor sure why the hard reset did not work, but anyways it focuses now.

Mako2011 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Steve

Mako2011
Easy fix

slieb25 wrote:

That was it!!! Not sure how set this to begin with, nor sure why the hard reset did not work, but anyways it focuses now.

Mako2011 wrote:

Glad to help....BTW, the reset doesn't get everything and I forget what gets left out. The D7000 is a complicated camera so I recommend the Thom Hogan guide to get the most out of it. Good Luck and we look forward to some of your great pics.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads